4s batteries at diff voltage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokeitagain

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've got a 4s setup (2 2s batteries in series) I ran the truck yesterday and it died (wouldn't even move). When I hooked it up to the charger, one battery read 5.99v. The other read 6.41v. When I charged them my charger said both batteries were fine, and recognized them as 2s batteries. I don't wanna get them that low again tho, but I'm wonderin what could've caused that to happen. I've read somewhere that you should series the batteries together when you charge them if you run them as 4s,rather than charge each pack seperately. Is that what might've caused it? If so can someone point me to a walkthrough on how to set that up? And last question is, if my batt voltage cutoff is set up to 3.2v per cell (mamba monster) will it shutoff when one batt drops to 6.4 or would it have to be when the total current is under 12.8v? Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering the same which lipo cutoff do you use on the esc? do you use auto lipo? I've always used the 3.2 shut off but the last time I ran my charger said they were undercharged even though it never cut off when I was using it

If they are wired in series, forget that they are two batteries, what it is doing is making one battery with double the voltage over one pack. So 2-2s packs, become 1 4s pack, so you gotta use a 4s cutoff. Sounds like your packs need balanced.

Yea I'm not sure what the cutoff is set for. I got the truck used and the guy said he left the cutoff where it was (3.2 a cell). But he said he reprogrammed some other stuff. What cable do I need so I can hook it up and check?
As far as the series stuff goes I do car audio and electronics for a livin so I understand what series and parallel does very well. I don't know what the cutoff is tho, I just assumed it recognized 4s and shut it off at that respective low voltage 3.2v per cell = cutoff of 12.8v right?
When I charge em I hook in the balancer leads each time just, like I said I've read somewhere that u should series the packs together and charge them as 4s if you run them as 4s, rather than charging them as individual 2s packs. Which is right or does it matter?

I'm not positive but I've always charge packs that I had wired in series, seperate unless they were pretty small packs but I wouldnt think it would matter since its basically one pack, but maybe do them seperatly to be safe. I havent had a mamba monster in a long time but I'm pretty sure they just use a regular usb cable rather than a castle link. Just download the castle program here....

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

K ill check the cable tonight and if its regular ill check cutoff points tonight. I double checked the batteries last night after I ran it around the kitchen for like ten minutes (rainin here so couldn't go outside) and voltage was sittin at the same point on both batteries. Also when I charged them back up they said full at 8.4v each on the fot so I think I'm okay. Ill def keep an eye on em tho and let you know about any changes I see. Thanks again for the advice sng, as always its greatly appreciated.

If you find that your unable to hook the esc up to your pc, remember that you can manually program it. But the castle link is sooo much easier, faster and way cooler.:)

Honestly I had no idea you can do it manually. This is the first brushless truck I've ever had. Not my first electric, but my first truly customizable car (read: not a tyco lol) was a losi mini t I had, which while bein a fun lil car and having the motor switched many times to upgrade, never even got on the level of this flux lol. Is there anyway someone could send a link on how to do this, or a link to owners manual for truck and esc. I've been lookin but can't find one, so that'd help a lot so I can just read it instead of buggin everyone lol. Thanks again

Cool ill read thru it now, and the link is greatly appreciated!

Back