LiPo Battery Discharge Time for Storage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbilby62

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been noticing on my 4S 6700 mah traxxas LiPo that the discharge time when I put the battery in storage mode can take up to 2 hours. Is this normal? I have not had to charge it back up to storage in the last few runs but I don't remember it ever taking that long when I do need to charge it back up to storage. I am using the traxxas 4s ez peak live charger too.

Thank you!

Most chargers can only discharge at low power because they literally have to burn off the extra energy from the battery. Aka turn it into heat.

And turning a lot of it into heat quickly would overheat some components and release the magic white smoke from the charger.

There are ways around this.

What nino said. Chargers use their discharge circuit for discharging, which most chargers have around a 1A discharge circuit. So you will discharge at that lower rate, whatever that is for your charger. The Hota D6 Pro has a .1A to 3A circuit.

If your charger supported external discharging (not sure if it does, but I doubt it), you could discharge into a resistor, or another battery at a much faster rate.

Last edited:
with 665 mah discharge rate your lucky it just takes 2 hours.
Charger Specifications:
AC Input: 100–240 Volts, 50-60Hz, 1.5A
Charge Current Range: 1.0-12.0A
Discharge Current Range: 665mAh
Current Drain For Balance Ports: 665mAh
NiMH Battery Cell Count: 5–8 Cells
LiPo Cell Count: 2–4 Cells
Net Weight: 526g
Dimensions: 133 x 169 x 55mm

TRA2889X Battery Specifications:

Type:
LiPo
Total Capacity: 5000mAh
Voltage: 14.8V
C Rating: 25
Length: 155mm
Height: 34mm
Width: 45mm
Weight: 16.8g

I like the lol. is that still happening... facts are facts. specs r specs.

Thank you for the information guys! I just wanted to make sure that the cells were not degraded or had any other potential issues that would screw the discharging of the battery up. With a 665 mah current discharge, it makes sense why it takes so long.

I like the lol. is that still happening... facts are facts. specs r specs.
It's just that I actually laughed when I saw the specs you posted. That's pretty terrible. By the way tnt, what charger do you use?

I have a bc 8A it will charge 8- 6 cells thru balance wire at 8 amps. I was given a toolkit 8 to test but my Schultze 2514 is my go to charger925 amp 14 cells adjustable balance to 5 amp) it was a custom build b4 the went by by. I have reactors from 1/2 amp to 30 amps to discharge battery buzzer added. for 2+ cells I have a discharge block..

I have a bc 8A it will charge 8- 6 cells thru balance wire at 8 amps. I was given a toolkit 8 to test but my schultze 2514 is my go to charger925 amp 14 cells adjustable balance to 5 amp) it was a custum build b4 the went by by.
I have seen some of the Toolkit stuff. They have some snazzy little chargers for on the go and such. Not really useful for me. But I really wouldn't mind having some of their test equipment, and that cute little power station they have.

I have a bc 8A it will charge 8- 6 cells thru balance wire at 8 amps. I was given a toolkit 8 to test but my Schultze 2514 is my go to charger925 amp 14 cells adjustable balance to 5 amp) it was a custom build b4 the went by by. I have reactors from 1/2 amp to 30 amps to discharge battery buzzer added. for 2+ cells I have a discharge block..
What is a BC 8A?

Back