3M double sided tape for holding down ESCs and some other RC news

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Got this 3M molding tape from auto zone today. Works alot better and sticks the esc to the car good. What I was using last time was like a foam type of double side tape. The foam tape leaves residue and doesn't stick to the car well. These are 1/2 inch strips so these are alot less wide than what comes with the ESCs (my HW max10s and xr10s came with wider strips of tape) And the other news is I am planning to take the rustler to Ocean City tomorrow to go see family. Also instead of mounting the on/off switch on the chassis I just mounted it right next to the esc on the esc tray.
PXL_20230106_004019665.jpg
InkedScreenshot_20230104-163741.jpg

Also have this Protek servo tape in my parts bin but not sure if I want to use it for the ESCs. Doesn't look or feel strong enough. https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...Phgf9RNZrBODZKgIe6W8ZTrLuc2Sh2BhoCLJEQAvD_BwE

PXL_20230106_030327415.jpg

Taking both bodies since with my custom painted one the rear pin is running through the body. I put on some of those while spacer things that come with the car on so hopefully that helps.
The car is running good. I bashed it 3 battery packs last weekend and didn't break anything. But I am bringing extra parts just in case like I always do.
As much I like the anaconda wheels and tires, I am looking to upgrade. Planning on duratrax banditos. Or might get like a all terrain tire like the duratrax six pack or the proline badlands.

I use some servo tape from Apex Racing. So far it works just about as well as any other servo tape I've used.

71Kbiqcl9HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Click pic for link

My use includes both the 3M and the Amain equivalent to Wolf's Apex. 3M holds securely but leaves nasty residue. Apex-type holds less secure but is easier to remove and leaves no residue. Were I to recommend the double-side tape method, it would be 3M for ESC mounts up to 14-13AWG motor wires. Apex-style for light duty installs, like I/O buttons and radio receivers where leads are 22-18AWG.

ESC's with motor leads 12AWG and heavier, then mounting tabs are desirable. 12AWG wire install with any twist at all at the ESC point places an excessive twisting moment on the ESC and its attendant mount. That, in my opinion is what is working the double side tape loose over time.

Downside to mounting tabs is an increase footprint-space for tabs is not always there in today's mid-motor and smaller scale applications. Upside is ease of removal and re-install and the option to space the ESC up off the chassis for cooling airflow under the ESC.

Have fun with the Rusty, David. Be a good beta test for the 3M tape. Cheers. 'AC'

I got this for super cheap, not that 3M or Servo tape were that expensive to begin with, but it's worked really well so far. Just enough thickness to "smush" the parts together and get a really good bond, but not so thick that there's give which could wiggle it loose

I've had really good luck with 3M tape as well, but the most important thing is to "DE-GREASE" both surfaces of the chassis and the back of the ESC with an alcohol swab to get the best contact patch.

There's another product out there called "The Landing Pad" from RC Body Armor which acts as a soft cushion to help absorb hard impacts to protect the ESC from getting damaged:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...tfcSwQdy4vHgWEkXQW5Bww8tWCyzTdoP&__tn__=*bH-R

The best way to install the pad is with medium CA glue where I use LOCTITE brand CA and apply a thin layer with a business card across the surface of the pad and you can pick the car up by the ESC without the pad becoming detached ;)

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with 3M tape as well, but the most important thing is to "DE-GREASE" both surfaces of the chassis and the back of the ESC with an alcohol swab to get the best contact patch.

There's another product out there called "The Landing Pad" from RC Body Armor which acts as a sift cushion to help absorb hard impacts to protect the ESC from getting damaged:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...tfcSwQdy4vHgWEkXQW5Bww8tWCyzTdoP&__tn__=*bH-R

The best way to install the pad is with medium CA glue where I use LOCTITE brand CA and apply a thin layer with a business card across the surface of the pad and you can pick the car up by the ESC without the pad becoming detached ;)
I like the idea but you can get neoprene tape a whole lot cheaper than what they are charging. You can even get the same 6"x6"x.25" pieces on Amazon for like 75% cheaper. LINK

I had been using the protek clear tape on the rustler and slash. Feels like it sticks on more than the 3M heavy duty molding tape. Here on the slash I am using the protek tape for the ESC and the 3M for the on/off switch since the protek tape is a little hard to cut.
PXL_20230116_235005351.jpg