25 most important RCs of all time...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well, at least according to RC Car Action anyway. I know theyre not very good when it comes to this sort of thing but I agreed with a lot of them. I was a little butt hurt to see the Mini-T on the list and not a Savage though o_O

C.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Can't imagine what things would be like if the ax10 kit hadn't ever came out.

What the hell is the XO-1 doing on the list?

Oh wait....RC Car Action. Now I know why.

Top 3 IMO are Clodbuster, T-Maxx, and SCX10, those rc's have a ton of aftermarket support and other companies wish they had them! The xo-1 is a joke, the slash is a modded Rustler/Stampede, fun but shouldn't be on the list IMO.

t-maxx? the savage 21 had better features than that. plus, it was bigger. never been on that website, but I can see that they like traxxas. I can see why the revo would be on there, though. and its nice to see the Baja.

I agree with the Slash being on the list. It ignited a whole new racing craze that brought a lot of new people to and back to the hobby. Look at all the SC trucks that followed the Slash.

Easily one of if not THE most durable of rigs too...the slash that is.

Hey @robmob of the list, how many of them do or have you owned?

t-maxx? the savage 21 had better features than that. plus, it was bigger. never been on that website, but I can see that they like traxxas. I can see why the revo would be on there, though. and its nice to see the Baja.

T-Maxx was far more popular than the Savage when it was introduced and brought an entire generation into the hobby. Also brought a lot of old school guys including myself back to the hobby.

T-Maxx was far more popular than the Savage when it was introduced and brought an entire generation into the hobby. Also brought a lot of old school guys including myself back to the hobby.
what do u guys see in the t-maxx? or traxxas in general?

Tamiya started it all for me. I had 2 Grasshoppers, my nephew had a Frog.
I built several Tamiyas for friends, including the Clodhopper and the 4WD Porsche 944.
It's the TMaxx that brought me into the nitro side of the hobby.

I built several Tamiyas for friends, including the Clodhopper and the 4WD Porsche 944.
It's the TMaxx that brought me into the nitro side of the hobby.
sounds like u guys liked amphibians and insects a lot:hehe:

The Grasshopper and the Frog were identical except for one VERY important thing. The Frog had independent rear suspension.
We ran side by side on the street, but on the lawn and off road he blew me away.

I think the Kyosho USA1 Nitro Crusher deserves honorable mention as it was arguably the first ever production nitro monster truck back in 1988.

The Tmaxx didn't debut until some10 years later. But it was the Tmaxx that really kicked off the nitro monster truck craze back in early 2000 so I can understand why it made the list.

again, why do u guys like the t-maxx?

I do see why the rc10gt is on there. they where pretty popular

why do you like hpi?? its the same question I think as has been stated before it started the nitro monster truck thing, of course we were a few years behind in Australia but I remember when the maxx first came out it was over $1200 here in oz but everyone wanted one .the only thing hpi that I had here at that time was ye ole rs4 which I ended up getting rid of due to no local support and its still much the same ,I have a savage and its a pain to get parts for.
why do I like traxxas over hpi ,simple ,support and knowing any shop will have the parts and I wont be waiting 3 weeks for a silly little part.

again, why do u guys like the t-maxx?
I went into a hobby shop for airplane parts one day and the owner was breaking one in by driving it around the parking lot. I just kind of glanced at it on my way by when I heard a very unusual sound. I asked him what that was and he told me it shifted into second gear. He brought it around, stopped it in front of me and backed up. We went inside, he showed me the electric starter, told me about reverse and the two speed and I bought one right there.
When they were new they were the hottest thing on the market. They still do well since they have such great support.
Considering all the gallons that went through mine, it was a rock solid investment. Started as the narrow .15 and graduated to the 2.5 with minimum upgrades and ran almost daily for a few years before I sold it.

What the hell is the XO-1 doing on the list?
The XO-1 is listed under top 5 RC Tech break throughs and while I think overall it kinda flopped it really is the only RC of its kind. At least that I'm aware of anyway. I had the same reaction when I first saw it but then when I noticed the subcatagory I was kinda like "Hmmmm ok I'll go ahead and give em that one" However one could argue that the Rustler could take its place since its what launched the whole 100+MPH craze in the first place.

I agree with the Slash being on the list. It ignited a whole new racing craze that brought a lot of new people to and back to the hobby. Look at all the SC trucks that followed the Slash.
I do agree with the slash being on the list for that reason even though I could name half a dozen SCTs Id rather own.

I think the T-MAXX deserves to be on the list for this reason also however I think the Savage should be on the list for being the most durable. You ask anyone who makes the best MT and most people will say Savage (or at least mention it as an option) just for its durabilty.

what do u guys see in the t-maxx? or traxxas in general?
I'm not a very big Traxxas fan as I think other manufacturers make better quality. You could name just about any kit from traxxas and I will have a similiar kit that I prefer from a different manufacturer. SCTs for example. I would rather have a SCT from Durango, Losi, Associated, OFNA, etc. However I do think that Traxxas has a lot to offer the RC community so I dont bang on them to much. While I feel that most Traxxas kits out of the box are a notch below most of the other "quality" name brand in terms of durability and engineering, Traxxas probably has the most aftermarket support of any manufacturer and that counts for a lot in my book. You can take a Traxxas kit and make it pretty darn tough. Are they race quality? no, but they offer a lot to bashers and probably offer more to beginners than any of the other major brands do. This again is another huge boon in the companies favor. A beginner can buy a cheap brushed kit for a couple hundred bucks and they can upgrade the weak parts here and there as they learn the hobby and then when theyve outgrown it they can covert it to brushless and then deck it out from head to toe in hop ups and have a very nice bashing kit. I have a soft spot for the Rustler because of this. I've owned a nitro rustler, a nitro sport, a nitro Rustler that I converted to electric,and still own a ridiculously hopped up (we'll call it a VXL even though I dont have any VXL parts in it) and another ridiculously decked out 100+MPH Rustler. T-MAXX is the same way. Out of the box its so-so IMO, throw the right hop ups at it and its a damn fine basher and as mentioned before it deserves its place on the list cuz its what made the rest famous. Some people might bash me for saying this but if Redcat could just get some bring up their quality levels a tad, get some consistancy in maintaining that level of quality, and have the level of after market support traxxas does i wouldnt bash them either.

Ahhhh the Frog... My very first RC when I was but a youngster...how many times did you burn your hand on that ceramic resistor?! Stupid thing!

Last edited:
Back