2.4 ghz radios

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I got out of the hobby just when 2.4 ghz radios were getting popular. So I don’t know a lot about them

My slash came with the tq 2.4 and I was wondering if I’m able to get a second rx for my stampede that has the old radio system and use the same tx.

If yes so I need to stick with Traxxas or can I get any 2.4 rx or if anyone knows a good cheapie I can pick up let me know

Thanks

I got out of the hobby just when 2.4 ghz radios were getting popular. So I don’t know a lot about them

My slash came with the tq 2.4 and I was wondering if I’m able to get a second rx for my stampede that has the old radio system and use the same tx.

If yes so I need to stick with Traxxas or can I get any 2.4 rx or if anyone knows a good cheapie I can pick up let me know

Thanks
most companies are pretty linear in the fact that they have their own communication protocols between TX and RX, very few share the same ones.
as long as you get the same/similar RX that you have now (brand/model), to put into the other rigs that would work.
but crossing brands doesn't usually.

Yeah, you'd just need to bind the new receiver to the transmitter. Obviously you could only ever run 1 at a time that way. A lot of folks sell the Tx/Rx together new as take-offs when they buy the kit so likely you could get both for the same price anyway.

This covers which versions of the traxxas radios are compatible with which traxxas receivers:
https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-TQi-Compatibility-Guide

I've read that a single traxxas transmitter can bind and store multiple receivers (up to 30 different receivers), only saw the TQi referenced with that though.

The main reason for having multiple rec.'s ,is so you don't have to be changing them out every time that you want
to run a different ride ,it gets old ,an you stand a chance of breaking down the servo wires & plugs!

Also you will have to be careful not to let your ride take off because some are set in reverse mode ,I found
that out the hard way with the nitro RC1

Back before I dropped the cash on a decent radio setup, I ran multiple rigs from an older Traxxas (non TQi version) 2.4Ghz setup. The only reason I upgraded was I needed more than two channels, and wanted easier programming vs. the button/LED combo on the Traxxas units. I never had any issues with the Traxxas radio system though, and I can't say that for some of the big names.

Thanks a lot guys. I have the regular tq 2.4 radio that came in my slash, so I’m going to try and pick up a spare rx. If anyone has one shoot me a private message.

Thanks again. This helps me a lot and saves me from buying another 2.4 witch I though i was going to have to do. Two thumbs up for saving money

my friend recently got the FlySKy GT3B for 40$ and has really been liking it, weirdly it doesn't store the steering trim all the time though. and receivers are like 8$ on amazon, takes awhile to get though.
when i get a new one might do this, so i can finally not have 6 controllers taking up space, really have been liking my tactic radio though.
almost more than my spectrum.

Back before I dropped the cash on a decent radio setup, I ran multiple rigs from an older Traxxas (non TQi version) 2.4Ghz setup. The only reason I upgraded was I needed more than two channels, and wanted easier programming vs. the button/LED combo on the Traxxas units. I never had any issues with the Traxxas radio system though, and I can't say that for some of the big names.

Do you remember how to bind the radios on the tq 2.4. I can’t find directions for the non tqi radios.

Don't bother with another receiver on the same radio unless it stores trim settings and such for different models IMHO. Get a 2.4ghz radio setup with multi model memory if you want to use one transmitter for more than one RC. You can get Flysky or Radiolink for under $50 plus extra receivers can be had for less than $15. Another 2.4ghz tx/rx can be had for less $30. Better to have two separate tx's than one without trim setting multi model memory IMHO.

At the moment I’m stuck with what my local hobby shop has. My financial situation won’t allow me to have a bank account at the moment so I’m stuck with what I can get with cash locally. And there radios are expensive!

Don't bother with another receiver on the same radio unless it stores trim settings and such for different models IMHO. Get a 2.4ghz radio setup with multi model memory if you want to use one transmitter for more than one RC. You can get Flysky or Radiolink for under $50 plus extra receivers can be had for less than $15. Another 2.4ghz tx/rx can be had for less $30. Better to have two separate tx's than one without trim setting multi model memory IMHO.
Yeah, that would drive me bonkers dealing with 10 trucks not having the settings stored in the remote. Also not having a screen to adjust the settings would suck.