.18 engine stalls on start up & starts when idle?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolanf

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a duratrax nitro evader BX, i know it is not considered to be the best buggy out there but i have a problem. When i start the car up, it starts for about 1 second then stalls. When it stalls, the pull start back fires in. SOmetimes, when i eventually get it going by pressing the throttle immediately when i start it up, it will idle but then stall after a couple of seconds (sometimes after 3 sec or even 10 sec)

could this problem be from my low-speed needle not being tuned right? i'm pretty sure my high-speed needle is tuned as well as my idle-speed needle ( which is around 1mm from closed)

You haven't had the engine apart have you? How much fuel is through the engine? What nitro/oil percent fuel are you running? What plug are you running?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but it will help gauge what your issue is.

all my variables are fine, i think its a tuning problem?

Will it keep running if you leave the igniter on? If not, richen the LSN about 1/8 of a turn and try again. Give it a few tries to settle it in. If it improves, richen it a bit more till it runs steady, then adjust your idle. Adjust the HSN for WOT after it's warmed up to temp.

I had the same prob with a truck I had. The guys here got it all worked out for me. I had to pump the fuel primer to keep it running. It turned out my LSN was too lean.

what about when i have trouble starting it up. it will start for a second then stop?

You haven't had the engine apart have you? How much fuel is through the engine? What nitro/oil percent fuel are you running? What plug are you running?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but it will help gauge what your issue is.

Seriously, you need to answer these for the correct method of addressing the issue, man. Additionally, I'll add this; have you set the needles back to factory? What engine are you running?

I tend to agree it sounds like a tuning issue, but to pinpoint the cause, it'd be great if you could answer these questions.

What engine are you running?

I tend to agree it sounds like a tuning issue, but to pinpoint the cause, it'd be great if you could answer these questions.

its in the title man .18 os engine that comes with the Evader St and Bx

its in the title man .18 os engine that comes with the Evader St and Bx

He says it's a .18 in Evader BX, where does he mention it's an OS? Thanks for playing!

How are you helping address the problem, anyway? What, is this your big contribution, verifying whether or not I have the ability to read?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, ace. Here's your sign! :thefinger

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, duratrax worked out a deal with OS to build them a basic RTR 18 that they put in a lot of their stuff. I believe it's a side exhaust, but not sure if it's rotary carb, short/long crank or what.

Personally, I'd probably just pitch it and put in a new engine. An actual OS18CV-R would be a decent replacement.

if it starts for a second then stalls, try opening the LSN 1/8 of a turn. if it stays going for you then, let it warm up and keep it running rich,,,,assuming that your trying to break it in.
if there is no change, reset the needles back to the orgional position and try closing the LSN 1/8 of a turn. personally, i think its too lean on the LSN.