100% Lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have finally made the switch to running Lipos in all my rigs.

I have been running them in some of my Gorillamaxx since the start of the race season and I also have one in my ERevo.

In my touring car I have been using matched 4200 packs which was a PITA since I had to have at least 4 packs for a race day.

I just installed a new MaxAmps weighted 2S 5000mah pack in it yesterday. I even picked up a saddle lipo pack for my Tek18 conversion.

Now I am 100% lipo includeing the transmitter battery in my 3PKS.

Racing this Saturday will now be greatly simplified.

That's great to hear! After installing my first lipo, slowly I'm making the change. With a little knowledge lipo is safe and extremely efficient. I had to do several hours of studying after nearly killing my first lipo by leaving it plugged to my esc for 6 hours after a day of bashing. Aside from that, a user error on my part, I have never had any trouble with my lipo. It's also great to get 1hr+ run times in my 1/18th scale, where NiMH were only allowing 10-20 minutes.

I believe $19.99 was the cheapest 6-Cell 1100mah NiMH I ever bought for my RC18, paid $34.99 for a 2s 1500mah LiPo and the price difference wasn't that much considering I charge my LiPo in the same amout of time as 1 NiMH pack, but get the run time of 3 NiMH with that 1 LiPo. Also, the RC18 w/brushless had a tendency to pop the heatshrink on my NiMH packs. LiPo do not even get warm. The weight savings is another plus on 1/18th scale.

Man I love LiPo and Brushless, lol.

You have to disconnect the lipo from your ESC if you're not running it?

-Michael

Yes, the esc will draw some juice from the batt pack whether it's lipo or otherwise even if it's turned off.

With lipo, if you drop below a certain voltage, usually 3v per cell, you will damage the pack. So leaving it plugged in to an esc will draw juice until there is no juice left to draw which in the case of lipo's, is not good.

I'm really starting to like this place, learning something all the time.

-Michael

thats why i never got a lipo pack for my tx. I am always leaving it on and draining my AA's. i don't want to come home to a melted spektrum.

Thats awesome Rob! I'm slowly working towards that as money allows.

They can be pricey.

I wish I had gotten a Lipo for my touring car right off the bat. I could have bought 2 of them for the price I paid for 4 matched NiMH packs.

Since I actually only need one Lipo, I would have been money ahead!

I love my lipos, I bought one for my rc18t with a mamba system in it and got over a half an hour and I was hooked. I have bought lipos from there on. I have been running lipos and brushless and it is so sweep and fast. I use a duratrax ice charger and it is so nice. I highly recommend it.

They can be pricey.

I wish I had gotten a Lipo for my touring car right off the bat. I could have bought 2 of them for the price I paid for 4 matched NiMH packs.

Since I actually only need one Lipo, I would have been money ahead!

Thats funny, a few days ago I was wishing I had bought one 3s pack instead two 2s packs. The run time is so long that I only need the one pack and the power difference between the 2s and 3s in crazy!

The thing that really sucks is I have a maxapms 3s 5000 pack that I ruined. My charger was showing a low voltage on one cell so I took the pack apart only to find out that the problem was with the balancing tab...I broke the freakin tabs on the packs and can't replace them. So I have 3 5000 cells in good shape that I can't do anything with.

Last edited:
So I have 3 5000 cells in good shape that I can't do anything with.

I beg to differ, as much as I thought I'd never say this, there's got to be big you tube possibility with these things. Then you can make a big explosion. And when people don't want to say that they can't spend the money on LiPo (which is nothing you should be ashamed of) they can use the link to your explosion and use that as the excuse to tell their friends why lipo sucks, instead of just stepping up and saying "I don't want to spend $300 on batteries" lol it seems to be the popular thing to do lately.