1/5 gasser crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastflee

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
well I just got a new motor for my baja and now have the stocker just sitting I know that electric is the way to go but any one have any clue how I could use this gas motor in a rock buggy??????

to begin with , you will have to figure out how to keep the motor cool and not melt a clutch .... but were there is a will there is a way , good look:thumbup: ...........

Well... I've been recently throwing around the idea of making a custom sandrail... You might want to think more along those lines... I dont think that motor will do well in a rock crawler.

Well... I've been recently throwing around the idea of making a custom sandrail... You might want to think more along those lines... I dont think that motor will do well in a rock crawler.

if you build one post up a build thread , that would be awesome....

Well it can be done . A friend of mine had a custom t-maxx crawler before there were aftermarket options available with a O.S .40 in it . He had a computer fan/ecs fan blowing on the head at all times . It needed to have a custom heavy flywheel made to get it to idle low enough . But as was mentioned above clutches are an issue . They dont last very long at all . Maybe 2 outings max . Also he only crawled for short periods of time to keep the clutch as cool as possible . On the plus side the engine never seemed to overheat . Sadly I dont have any pics of it as it was like 6-7 years ago . So I'm sure Ill probably get flamed for it .

No flames, phx123. We all know it's possible, just not practical due to the clutch issue. The fan on cooling heads has been done many times, so we know it would work to keep the engine temp down. With a crawler, the clutch would NEVER lock in when climbing, so the heat would render it useless very quickly.

Have you thought about using carbon fiber clutch arms?, if so let me know, I can make them, I just need someone with a mill or mini CNC machine to cut them out. I can make them out of what ever thickness you want and out of vacuum laid carbon fiber, just let me know. I used to build pro mod dragster bodies and such and have practiced making rc parts as well. let me know. And will make them for free to test them out.

Last edited:
I thought it was here that the member made one by tapping the head on the thew mill and screwing the PC fan on the top of teh head pulling air out...then just locked the axles, geared it super low and let the clutch shoes hang with no springs for instant engagement....there were pics in the thread I'm thinking of....not sure how it ran but it seemed interesting

I think the best way to solve the clutch problem is to gear the motor really low so that the clutch wouldn't have to slip all of the time, instead it would be fully engaged more often.

As for overheating, the Zenoah motors have a built in fan and rarely have a problem with overheating, especially in stock form.

I wanted to built something like this years ago but what stopped me was the lack of available solid axles for something of this size. There are some 1/4 scale axles but their size were too big for this and their price was too high for my wallet.

Back