How long have you been into RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
and what was your first hobby grade RC.
I've been into the hobby for 8 years now my first RC Car was the traxxas slash 2wd bought it brand new then a couple years later i bought a latrax rally worst purchase ever blew 2 motors and all the diff gears got toasted completely stock then about 5 months ago i bought a used latrax rally and blew the motor just need the money when the slash isnt broken to buy a brushless upgrade for the latrax rally

9FE131B6-47C9-4553-A1EE-38A487C42CB3.jpeg

B191CA55-E4ED-46EE-8E46-6EBCAC2F5108.jpeg

Twenty-four years for me. Got my start when the Army had me posted to S. Korea. Tamiya distributor was just outside the post gate in Seoul.

First hobby grade was a Tamiya 4WD buggy kit with NiCD battery power and MSC (Manual Speed Control).

Don't give up on the Latrax. Always liked that rallye style car. Just never got around to getting one. Like seeing what others do with it though. 'AC'

Twenty-four years for me. Got my start when the Army had me posted to S. Korea. Tamiya distributor was just outside the post gate in Seoul.

First hobby grade was a Tamiya 4WD buggy kit with NiCD battery power and MSC (Manual Speed Control).

Don't give up on the Latrax. Always liked that rallye style car. Just never got around to getting one. Like seeing what others do with it though. 'AC'
nice but every time i go to buy the brushless setup something braked in the slash
Only about 8 years I think.
My problem is, how long have I been dipping into my wallet?:eek:
amagine if we could see how much in total we spent on rc cars 🥶

nice but every time i go to buy the brushless setup something braked in the slash
Well, would that be because you drive it off the roof, smash into trees, mailboxes, logs, etc? 🤔😜😝🤣

Last edited:
Less than a year with a collection that grew too quickly..

I need to listen to Epic by Faith No More to help me slow down.. 😂🤣

My first RC was a Tamiya Frog was in 1985ish with NiCD packs, manual speed controller, and ceramic resistor placed right in the back where you were guaranteed to burn your hand every time you picked it up. 🤣

That being said after I got a little older I put RCs down and didnt pick them up again for about 15-17 years.

imagine if we could see how much in total we spent on rc cars 🥶
I dont even want to know. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on RCs over the years. I've got at least 15K or more wrapped up in just the stuff I currently have.

I need to listen to Epic by Faith No More to help me slow down.. 😂🤣
🎵🎶🎵 You want it all buuuuut you can't have it.... 🎶🎵🎶

🤣🤣🤣

Been into the hobby since Christmas of 2015 but really didn't get more into it till the end of 2020 when my dad bought the rustler. Then my dad bought the mini b earlier this year. He said its going to be his cars but they aren't anymore. He drives them once in a while but I do all the upgrades and repairs.

Been into the hobby since Christmas of 2015 but really didn't get more into it till the end of 2020 when my dad bought the rustler. Then my dad bought the mini b earlier this year. He said its going to be his cars but they aren't anymore. He drives them once in a while but I do all the upgrades and repairs.
Now there's role reversal. Son doing dad's repairs and upgrades. Good on you DavidB.

Yeah, there was a time I did a spreadsheet on RC expenses. Scared me it did. Deleted it before my better half found it. I'd been dead meat. 'AC'

the dumpster appeared out of nowhere right? just like my mailbox
He posted a vid. It was more like an unintentional dumpster durability test 🤣

But I can't say much... I was just driving the 6S Kraton and an entire apartment building up and jumped right out in front of me. That footage seems to have mysteriously been corrupted on my phone though, so it makes me extremely sad to report I won't be able to share this strange phenomenon. I have to assume this is the same exact thing that happens to all the bigfoot and ufo footage.

He posted a vid. It was more like an unintentional dumpster durability test 🤣

But I can't say much... I was just driving the 6S Kraton and an entire apartment building up and jumped right out in front of me. That footage seems to have mysteriously been corrupted on my phone though, so it makes me extremely sad to report I won't be able to share this strange phenomenon. I have to assume this is the same exact thing that happens to all the bigfoot and ufo footage.
🤣😂🤣

I was thinking of going and dressing up like that and having my boy take photos of me fishing and doing random woods stuff outside of the chemical trailer park. I'm 6'8" 330 IBS. I'm sure we can fool some.

Been into various cheap rc since the 90s. By 04 I was introduced to nitro power. By 2007 my first truck, Traxxas Stampede XL5 yellow esc. By 2011 I had 10 or so plus cars.

Ok so on the public enemy’s list we have…
Mailboxes
Light Posts
Dumpsters
Magically Appearing Buildings
Cement Parking lot curbs.... These have caused some heartburn for me!
I have only been in the hobby for about 2 years. Needed something to do since my last employer decided to downsize the company right when Covid hit. Haven't worked since so decided to call it a career.
First RC was a Losi Nitro 8ight T RTR. Got my feet wet with it for about a year and then moved up to a Tekno NT48 2.0 which is what I run now when it is not so stinking hot here in TX!! (Really looking forward to cooler weather). I love both of these trucks and would highly recommend either one, depending upon your budget.

Last edited:
Thats an age telling question right there. LOL. I have been into R/C since I got my first radio shack car in about 1980.. The kind that just went forward and had a single button on the controller that made it go into reverse where a slip axle set up made it turn to the left .. Those were the only affordable toy grade r/c's at the time and they were still pretty expensive for 1980 dollars.. so yeah I been playing with toy cars for about 42 years at this point.. been building and racing them, for 36 of the 42. Been designing and scratch building for 25 of the 42, and I have been running only cars I design and build since 2012.

Back