Stampede vs granite mega. My boys first truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My boy is 2 and absessed with rc cars. Going to get him his first rc for christmas, want a hobby grade so it will last. Narrowed it down to a brushed stampede or the granite mega. The granite mega can be bought 2wd and converted to 4wd easily, or it can be bought as a 4wd. The slash is only in my price range that I'm willing to spend if its 2wd. Not sure how hard and exspensive they are to turn into 4wd later on. Which one is best bang for buck

I've never owned the Granite so I couldn't share anything about it but I do however have a Stampede 2wd and 4wd. The 2wd is a kick in the butt to run and is easy to work on. There is also plenty of parts available.
Honestly if it were me, I would buy a Stampede 4x4 unassembled kit. I've done two of them.

Last edited:
You can’t convert a Traxxas 2wd to 4wd, I say go for the Granite as I’ve had great luck with Arrma’s 3s/Mega line compared to Traxxas’s 2wd line which would not stop breaking for me.

A Granite or a 2wd Traxxas is going to be quite a bit for a 2 year old. My son went from 1/18 at 3 years old to 1/12 at 4 years then 1/10 a couple years after that. Why not get him one of the 1/16 Traxxas models?

If it were me, I would probably go with the 2wd Stampede if I were dead set on 1/10 scale. They are a lot of fun, and are wheelie kings. Plus the amount of aftermarket parts for the Traxxas stuff is insane. Our Granite 3s BLX is a hoot as well, but it breaks every time we run it. It needs upgraded rear axles, but I just haven't done that yet.

A Granite or a 2wd Traxxas is going to be quite a bit for a 2 year old. My son went from 1/18 at 3 years old to 1/12 at 4 years then 1/10 a couple years after that. Why not get him one of the 1/16 Traxxas models?

If it were me, I would probably go with the 2wd Stampede if I were dead set on 1/10 scale. They are a lot of fun, and are wheelie kings. Plus the amount of aftermarket parts for the Traxxas stuff is insane. Our Granite 3s BLX is a hoot as well, but it breaks every time we run it. It needs upgraded rear axles, but I just haven't done that yet.
I'm going brushed for him. Can turn them right down if need be. Then can convert to brushless once he gets older.

It’s exactly the opposite with me haha! I can’t stop breaking my Traxxas stuff but my Arrma stuff won’t break even if I try.

My boy is 2 and absessed with rc cars. Going to get him his first rc for christmas, want a hobby grade so it will last. Narrowed it down to a brushed stampede or the granite mega. The granite mega can be bought 2wd and converted to 4wd easily, or it can be bought as a 4wd. The slash is only in my price range that I'm willing to spend if its 2wd. Not sure how hard and exspensive they are to turn into 4wd later on. Which one is best bang for buck
Either one will be fine but my personal pick would probably be the Stampede. The Pede is easy to work on, ton of after market support and can not only be converted to a Rustler or a Bandit also.

From what i can see the v3 granite mega is the same as the granite blx just a brushed motor esc and fixed links

From what i can see the v3 granite mega is the same as the granite blx just a brushed motor esc and fixed links
Make sure you check and see if the MEGA has all metal diff/tranny gears, and the same drive shafts and CVDs as the BLX too if you havent already.

Make sure you check and see if the MEGA has all metal diff/tranny gears, and the same drive shafts and CVDs as the BLX too if you havent already.
That’s only for the 4s line.

If you can't get all metal gears etc then I wouldnt convert a MEGA to a brushless system.
You can, they’re all the same. I’ve personally had no issues with the plastic gears.

The 3S BLX rigs have plastic gears? I wouldnt even buy one if thats the case.
Yes but I have only killed 1 input gear in 2 years of heavy bashing, it was user error when it did strip.

Only real thing i see in favor of the traxxas is all the parts. Other than that, its an old dated design

Only real thing i see in favor of the traxxas is all the parts. Other than that, its an old dated design
The fact that the design is still around is a testament to how good the design is imo but to each their own.

The fact that the design is still around is a testament to how good the design is imo but to each their own.
It’s definitely not good by modern standards, their 2wd line does not hold up to my driving while my Arrmas do, I literally try to break my Arrmas and they just won’t break.
BA1277A0-7D7C-46B6-BB96-1093DE4A5377.jpeg

The 3S BLX rigs have plastic gears? I wouldnt even buy one if thats the case.
Yes they are plastic. On top of that some cars I believe are not shimmed properly. On my infraction mega diffs are.not smooth and there is a lot of binding. I have seen a video on YouTube where a guy fixed the problem but I don't feel like taking apart everything

IMG_3435_40f8d874-b829-4fa9-843d-6ee7c662dbce_large.jpg

The only traxxas parts I replace out of the box because I know theyre gonna break is the a-arms (but then again I put RPM arms on everything, even my arrmas) and the front shock shafts and I also bash pretty hard. All the kits have some weak points right out of the box. Regardless though its a successful design. The fact that its still in production illustrates that. Like I said though imho, you can't go too wrong either way.

Id say they still make em because it cost them $2.50 to make and people buy them

Back