HELP PLEASE!! Rustler 4x4 build problem..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizm808

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Aloha,

So I'm new to stadium trucks, I have always had a drift car. I bought a used rustler 4x4 roller. I put a motor that I had laying around in it, the esc motor combo is a castle sidewinder 3 esc with a castle 14 series 6900kv. I'm not sure if this motor will be good for this truck. The set up it's currently running on is as follows;

Stock 54T spur gear w/slipper clutch eliminator
17T pinion gear

When I had this motor set up in my sakura d5, it ran like a charm, very responsive and instant power to the wheels, but in the rustler it almost feels like it's too much power/rpms when I try to gas it at a stop, it seems like the motor struggles to push the car at a stop. I checked the pinion-spur mesh, I made sure it wasn't too tight or loose. Idk what is wrong, or is the motor not good for the rustler? Any advice would be appreciated. Again I'm new to any sort of trucks, any advice is good for me.

A 6900kv motor is not going to be good in a stadium truck. It won't have enough torque. You could go with a lot smaller pinion and a lot bigger spur if they are available, but I would replace the motor. Stock, the brushless VXL Rustler only has a 3500kv motor, which would be a more optimal kv for that vehicle.

Oh ok that's also what I was thinking, I was thinking of a smaller pinion but wouldn't that make my motor heat up faster? Also I forgot to mention but I'm only on a 2s currently and the esc over heats in the matter of minutes...the esc doesn't have a fan..yet

No, a smaller pinion will not make the motor heat up 'more' than it already is. It will be easier on the motor, hence less heat. But just lowering the pinion isn't going to cut it.

The reason your ESC is heating up is because your motor is straining so hard to get the truck moving it is putting a heavy load on the ESC. If you drive it like it is, you will burn something up. That motor is just way too high a kv for that truck.

No, a smaller pinion will not make the motor heat up 'more' than it already is. It will be easier on the motor, hence less heat. But just lowering the pinion isn't going to cut it.

The reason your ESC is heating up is because your motor is straining so hard to get the truck moving it is putting a heavy load on the ESC. If you drive it like it is, you will burn something up. That motor is just way too high a kv for that truck.
Oh ok I see, thank you so much for this information. I will definitely buy a new motor /esc setup. Would a 1/8 scale motor setup be feasible?

a 550 motor will fit but the 1/8 motor shaft may be a issue unless you go with a 5mm .

That won't be a problem, previous owner had a mod1 42T spur on there, so I had to buy mod1 pinion gears which only comes in 5mm bore so I bought 3mm to 5mm adaptors. I thought that the mod1 spur was too aggressive so I bought the stock spur and put that on. Maybe I can use the mod1 42T spur if I go with 550 motor??

Aloha,

when I try to gas it at a stop, it seems like the motor struggles to push the car at a stop.
What you are experiencing is called "cogging". As other have said the KV rating on that motor is way to high.
Oh ok that's also what I was thinking, I was thinking of a smaller pinion but wouldn't that make my motor heat up faster? Also I forgot to mention but I'm only on a 2s currently and the esc over heats in the matter of minutes...the esc doesn't have a fan..yet
As Kev already said smaller pinion is easier on the electronics but wont be enough to compensate for the high KV of that motor.
Previous owner installed the slipper eliminator, there's no more slipper clutch. Do you think I need one?
Yes, Unless you want to strip out diff gears.
Would a 1/8 scale motor setup be feasible?
Not without a custom motor mount of some sort. I'm not aware of one made for the 4WD version.
That won't be a problem, previous owner had a mod1 42T spur on there, so I had to buy mod1 pinion gears which only comes in 5mm bore so I bought 3mm to 5mm adaptors. I thought that the mod1 spur was too aggressive so I bought the stock spur and put that on. Maybe I can use the mod1 42T spur if I go with 550 motor??
Mod1 is for 1/8 scale and bigger. I run 32P on my Rustys.

As for the motor Id get a Castle Creations motor either the 2400kv, the 2850kv or the 3200kv would be good for that kit. If you want to replace the ESC Id look at the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Edition or the Mamba X. You could probably get away with mod one gearing on the 2400kv motor but make sure you buy the 5mm shaft version.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...-sct-w-1412-3200kv-sensored-motor-010-0166-09

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...5-2v-wp-esc-and-1415-2400kv-combo-010-0160-00

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...-wp-esc-and-1415-2400kv-5mm-combo-010-0160-01

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...sc-and-1406-2850kv-sensored-combo-010-0155-10

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...sored-motor-2400kv-with-5mm-shaft-060-0067-00

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1-10th-scale-1/1415-2400kv-sensored-motor-060-0060-00

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1-10th-scale-1/castle-1406-sensored-motor-2850kv-060-0070-00

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1-10th-scale-1/castle-1412-sensored-motor-3200kv-060-0085-00

Wow, thank you! That was an awesome read, very helpful! I will definitely look into a lower kv motor, do you think my esc would be alright still? I will add a esc fan to help dissipate the heat. But thank you for your reply, it helps a lot.

Yeah, you can keep using the Stock ESC with any of those Castle motors but you wont be able to run in "sensored" mode. That just basically makes power delivery smoother so its not a deal breaker but nice to have. Oh, and the stock ESC wont have as many programming features either but again not a necessity just nice to have features. Not sure Id try to run mod1 on the 2400kv with the stock ESC but if you're feeling adventurous 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, you can keep using the Stock ESC with any of those Castle motors but you wont be able to run in "sensored" mode. That just basically makes power delivery smoother so its not a deal breaker but nice to have. Oh, and the stock ESC wont have as many programming features either but again not a necessity just nice to have features.
He has a Castle Sidewinder ESC currently. Doesn't say if it is the SCT version though.

Oh I have a castle sidewinder 3 esc currently
I'm not sure which version....sorry😕

Oh I have a castle sidewinder 3 esc currently
My bad, I forgot you mentioned that. The sidewinder 3 is designed for 2wd stadium trucks so technically its not up to par for your intended use. If you went 2400kv motor and stayed with 2S I'm going to take an educated guess that it would be OK. can't make any promises though. You could end up experiencing issues still or even burn it up.

The sidewinder 3 is only for 2wd not 4wd.
The sidewinder 3 is only for 2wd not 4wd
My bad, I forgot you mentioned that. The sidewinder 3 is designed for 2wd stadium trucks so technically its not up to par for your intended use. If you went 2400kv motor and stayed with 2S I'm going to take an educated guess that it would be OK. can't make any promises though. You could end up experiencing issues still or even burn it up.
Haha you beat me to the punch line👍👍
Just get the 4 it's 80$ if it's possible

Oh ok, I guess I should just buy the proper esc and motor setup lol 😆 thanks everyone for your inputs.
The sidewinder 3 is only for 2wd not 4wd.
The sidewinder 3 is only for 2wd not 4wd

Haha you beat me to the punch line👍👍
Just get the 4 it's 80$ if it's
I was thinking of the 4, if it's only 80 bucks I might as well. I'll probably get the 4 or the mamba x, might go with a 1/8 550 motor in the future lol

Oh ok, I guess I should just buy the proper esc and motor setup lol 😆 thanks everyone for your inputs.

I was thinking of the 4, if it's only 80 bucks I might as well. I'll probably get the 4 or the mamba x, might go with a 1/8 550 motor in the future lol
You could go with the copper head. It's in-between the 4 and the X. And run a 3000kv. The stock is 3800kv. The X is for bigger heavier RC MT.. not really a SCT. I mean by all means blow the wheels off that rusty. That would be awesome. But might cost $$ in the long run... just saying 👍👍

Welcome to the RCT. The house of the RC addicted.. all are welcome big or small we break them all.🤣🤣

540 and 550 motors are 1/10 scale motors. 670 and 700 are 1/8 scale can sizes.

Good luck finding a SW4 in stock anywhere, besides the Copperhead is a much better ESC for $30 more. The Mamba X is also an excellent choice.

I personally wouldnt run a 3800kv in a 4WD Rusty. My personal preference would be the 3200. You could run a 3800kv geared down but Id rather run a 3200 and just gear it up a little. Thats just me. I do run the 3800kv in my 2WD Rusty. Well, I did until I tried out this TenShock 6 pole 4600kv that I've got in it now.

You could go with the copper head. It's in-between the 4 and the X. And run a 3000kv. The stock is 3800kv. The X is for bigger heavier RC MT.. not really a SCT. I mean by all means blow the wheels off that rusty. That would be awesome. But might cost $$ in the long run... just saying 👍👍

Welcome to the RCT. The house of the RC addicted.. all are welcome big or small we break them all.🤣🤣
Lol ok, maybe I'll go with the copperhead, but blowing up wheels sounds fun too 😆

Back