Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer Pullstart, I get faster pulls on the strokes and the Roto seems like it causes un-nesecary wear if you can't get it to start yet keep on turning. Just my .02 though.

The Roto is nice if you never have an issue starting, I dont know I just prefer Pull..

I wouldnt order it unless they can verify that it will fit your engine. I personally liked rotostarts when I first started out cuz when your learning to tune you will wear your freakin arm out with a pull start. now that I can tune OK I like either or. Pullstarts dont bother nearly as much as they used to :) Roto starts are a pain though cuz you have to tote around the starter and they do put more wear on your OWB but they are damn convenient when you're having problems starting it :)

well all iv had is issues starting my car , sumtimes she will start then stop then wont turn over at all

so i dnt know

pull start is for me personally .. all my trucks except the savage have had a pull start converted from electric.

Reason being is because 1. its one less thing to charge 2. one less thing to carry. 3. dont have to worry about being away from home.. and the battery dying.

also with a pullstart you can really feel the engine when you crank it. With electric it basically only senses if the engine is ceased or flooded and will pop the circuit breaker switch. With the pull start if you feel something is wrong you can slowly and gently pull the cord and see if you feel any negative scratching or friction you can take the engine apart ahead of time and possible save it from further damage..

The only reason i havent swapped over to pull start is mainly because i just simply havent even been driving my truck for almost 5 months now because I've been busy with school. But i will be buying a pull start soon.

i think the only negative thing is sometimes yeah.. youll nick your knuckles a bit or rarely the pull start will break but its a cheap part and will take away alot of head ache an electric starter can cause you.

pull start, its just less to carry around. and no battery to run out.

same here, pullstart. More convenient for me.

I love pullstart and a good ignitor. Less stuff in my pocket to keep up with.

I think the best electric starting system for Nitros is the pro start by associated. It never slips and is very reliable. All of my other nitros are pull start including my xl which I've converted to pull start. Also a pull start gives you a little bit more leeway when using a nitro fuel with a good amount of oil. With the traxxas fuel I could not start my xl because it would always slip. With the byrons I'm using now, I rarely have a problem starting it and the oil content is comparable.

Would you guys not say though for someone whos new and having trouble getting a good tune for easy starting that a roto start system would be a more ideal way to go than a pullstart, at least at first? I know it was a heck of a lot easier on me. Although as people have stated there is a certain amount of risk involved when using a rotostart. IDK maybe I was just lazy lol.

Would you guys not say though for someone whos new and having trouble getting a good tune for easy starting that a roto start system would be a more ideal way to go than a pullstart, at least at first? I know it was a heck of a lot easier on me. Although as people have stated there is a certain amount of risk involved when using a rotostart. IDK maybe I was just lazy lol.

For someone starting out yeah i would say its probably better for them.. I know for some people starting out with a pull start it can be discouraging because they are trying to figure out how to get the truck/car/truggy/buggy etc running properly and then their getting frustrated constantly pulling.

So all in all i think the electric starter is great for beginners.. The good thing is you can always convert to pullstart when your ready.

I've got both with my Maxx and MGT. because I have a good idea how to tune I actually like using my rotostart. A couple squeezes of the primer bulb on the MGT and it instantly fires up. Probably 2 piston cycles tops. that said it can be a pain lugging around the drill but not too big of a pain. I could go with either personally

All of my RTR nitro stuff has electric start on it. More advanced users, as evidenced by the posts here, like the pull start, but I find it convenient. If the tune is close they start fast and you're not beating the OWB to death or killing the battery in the electric starter.

I've always used a travel bag or I'm just putzing around at the house, so either way carrying the rotostart along hasn't been a big deal.

HTH...
Mark

I'm with MustangMan. I can tune with no problem,my vehicles have no issues starting but I like roto-start. I use a GS Racing pit bag to tote my extra parts/tools batteries and a charger anyway. The roto-start wand and extra battery don't really make any difference for me.

pull start i think its easier, less to go wrong and no batteries to carry. extremely good in a bashing car anyway. i also have the pushglo so i literally just have to carry my controller. if i have to start it just push the button and pull the cord and away she goes.

Traxxas EZ Start is for me, its basically a mini version of an OBD from a car. A diagnostic system and everything.

I like roto start, ez start, or a starter box just because I'm old and if the engine needs to be cranked and cranked, it makes me huff and puff. It's my own fault because when an engine is tuned properly it should start right up. And there are usually times that I have to crank it. A pull starter? The spring breaks, the rope breaks, and it might just tear off a piece of skin on the inside of your fingers too.

I have been playing this game for a long, long time. You will find no electric starting system mounted to any of my rc's.

Small displacement engines I prefer a pull start. BB engines I prefer a roto start to break them in and then a pull start if it can be installed.
I prefer to use a starter box on the small on road rc's.