yet another “newbie getting an SCX24” thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblebike

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Only been here a short while but already have learned so much from people. Thanks to everyone who has already given me tips! I’m guessing this will go well, and I’ll be looking into mods eventually, but before that I still need to gather some initial stuff. I welcome all tips, advice, suggestions, criticisms, jokes, etc.

Here’s the list of things I think I still need:

- Lipo bag or box or metal ammo box for battery storage and maybe for charging as well? What do y’all recommend for this? Are there particular brands or models of lipo bags/boxes that are recommended, or are they all pretty much the same?

- Better than the stock charger– Everyone seems to agree that the stock chargers suck, so I’m assuming I’ll need something better right away. Which one of these would y’all recommend? (or something different): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKCPXNN/ or
https://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-Balance-Charger-HRC44299/dp/B0858ZS144/ or
https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Intelligent-Digital-Balance-Charger/dp/B010CCMWMO

- Lipo low voltage tester. Do people keep these hooked up all the time and run the truck until the alarm beeps or just plug it in regularly to check battery status? Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/LiPo-Battery-Checker-Monitor-Indicator/dp/B07BQWSXC4

What else am I missing? I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future. Thanks in advance!

Metal ammo can with no gasket and room for the LiPo to vent if needed. I would go with the Hitec, you will need an XT60 to JST-PH 2.0 adapter or XT60 to ec3 adapter with an ic3/ec3 to JST-PH 2.0 adapter. Hitec has better QC standards compared to cheaper chargers like the IMax B6 clones or HTRC chargers. Also, with the voltage alarm, I would use it to periodically check the voltage, but just use the LVC built into the ESC and you'll be fine. The voltage alarm would probably be too big for the SCX24.

Thanks for the info! Is 3.4 the correct setting for the LVC?

Honestly, I just use the cheap charger that came with the SCX24. I haven't had any problems with it. I am to lazy to get out my real charger to charge such a small battery.....ask @Xraycer he knows how lazy I am. I am also to lazy to take the battery out to charge it, I leave it in the truck, this is not recommended but I'm a rebel, what can I say?

Just a tip, you should buy two SCX24's, if you buy just one they get lonely and will keep you up at night, it's better just to get it a companion right off the bat. :)

Honestly, I just use the cheap charger that came with the SCX24. I haven't had any problems with it. I am to lazy to get out my real charger to charge such a small battery.....ask @Xraycer he knows how lazy I am. I am also to lazy to take the battery out to charge it, I leave it in the truck, this is not recommended but I'm a rebel, what can I say?

Just a tip, you should buy two SCX24's, if you buy just one they get lonely and will keep you up at night, it's better just to get it a companion right off the bat. :)
Yep, still using all my included SCX24 chargers just because i haven't gotten around to making connectors for my Imax chargers.

I made my own charge leads, and I am a rookie when it comes to soldering. I don't do it often enough to retain anything I learned the last time I did it 😜

I wouldn't recommend using the stock charger long term. Your batteries will eventually hate you 🤪

Thanks for the great tips! Is it correct that generally people consider xt60 connectors as better/easier to use than ec3?
And, how important is it to get a charger that tests IR? I've seen people mention it a lot in terms of lipo health/monitoring, but many (most?) chargers seem to not measure IR at all, including many chargers that people say are great chargers. Do people tend to test IR using something external/separate from the charger for some reason? Or just don't bother checking it at all?

Keeping an eye on the IR will give you a bit more heads up to upcoming problems with your LiPo's. Before I had a charger that read IR i just watched for any signs of puffing.