XTM 24.7 break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperMaxx97

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, i was just wondering if anybody knows the instructions on how to break the XTM 24.7 motor in. i had purchased mine from ebay and the guy didnt send me the instructions!!:angry:

bryan

well they say to break in a engine u can jsut let it idle but I'm not positive but i think

i heard that if u just let it idle that it messes the motor up?

bryan

its all good. i am just having problems trying to find out how to break it in!

bryan

Check you lsn and hsn first. lsn should be at 7.5 turns out and the hsn should be 4 turns out. use a hot plug for breaking in the engine. These engines are very tight so crack open the glow pulg a little bit. then when it starts running tighten it back up. I let mine idel thru 4 tanks with the wheels barly moving. then 2 tanks with short bursts on the ground. after a total of 10 tanks I leand mine out. I did not see the true performance of the engine until 1+ galon of fuel. If you have any more questions please ask.

Franco

I wouldn't recommend just idling your tank. Set the needles to 4 turns out on the hsn and 7 turns out on the lsn.

Tank 1-Blip the throttle and gently brake for about 3 mins. Don't go above quarter throttle. Shut off the engine and let it completely cool with the piston at BDC. Continue this process until the 1st tank is almost empty.

Tank 2-Lean out the hsn just a little. About an hour on a clock. Go up to half throttle. After tank is almost empty, shut it off and completely cool at BDC.

Tank 3-Same as previous but, lean out hsn a little more. Also go to about 3/4 throttle.

Tank 4-6- Same as previous and lean out the HSN after every tank. Just make sure you get good smoke and keep the temps down. You're going to want run below 270.

Tank 7- Tune for performance.

Tip: Whenever you cool the motor during break in always make sure the piston is at BDC.

i was just wondering what types of gas u guys are running. i am going to run O'Donnell 20%. i heard that that was a good gas to run.

bryan

I also run 20% O'Donnell in all my cars. It holds a good tune and keeps my temps down.

yeah so far my truck is awsome. i am just having a few problems with my clutch shoes and my CVD's that came with the XTM .21 conversion kit. i forgot to put some thread locker in them and now they are all lose. also about the clutch shoes will it make my truck go in and out of nuetral?

bryan

I was just wondering what BDC means seeing i am new to the R/C nitro world

i do not know what it means, but then again i have never heard of it either and i have been in r/c for over 3 years.

bryan

'BDC' Means Bottom Dead Center. This is when the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke. TDC Is Top Dead Center.

kool, thankz i didnt know that.

bryan

Keeping it a BDC helps the top of the piston to cool making a tight fit possible. Very good tip!

Back