XRAY XB8 X-Mas List, Need Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline Racer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whats up,
Well I've decided instead of the usual xmas wanting "guitar, clothes" id go with an r/c this year. So Its between the Mugen Prospec MBX5 or the XB8, I'm leaning towards the XB8 as the subject above states. Whats your opinion between the two? Also, Heres my wanted set up...

{Xray XB8 or Mugen MBX5 Prospec
RB Concepts WS7II or O.S. V Spec .21
What pipe? I'm clueless on the pipe.
Airtronics 94359 Steering servo, JR 590M throttle servo
Proline Crimefighter tires
Huge Kyosho Fuel Filter
and some clear fuel line}

Now for those that know of my beloved Mugen MBX4 XR, its going to have to go... :( I'm going to help pay for this buggy. I can't just stick this on the parents. So I'm going to throw in a good 350$

LMK what you suggest on my opinions or feel free to add yours. Thank you very much!

-Skyline

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't really heard anything bad about either, except that the XB8 is X-Ray's first buggy and first edition of the buggy. That is the only question I have about it.

Engines, both are awsome, the OS is a little cheaper, but it uses turbo plugs (2-3 times the price of a regular plug)

Pipe depends on where you plan on racing.

Good luck with your XMass list!

I haven't really heard anything bad about either, except that the XB8 is X-Ray's first buggy and first edition of the buggy. That is the only question I have about it.

Engines, both are awsome, the OS is a little cheaper, but it uses turbo plugs (2-3 times the price of a regular plug)

Pipe depends on where you plan on racing.

Ultimatehobbies.com has the XB8 listed for 650 and they have a "Call for lower price" so I'I'm guessing you could pick it up for just over $600 with free shipping.

Good luck with your XMass list!

Clear fuel tubing!!!
I buy it by the roll.

I just don't understand why people use the colored stuff.
How are you supposed to see your fuel and possible air bubbles when your fuel tubing is colored? I wonder how may people pull their hair out trying to diagnose a problem because they can't see the condition of the fuel going or not going in this case to their carb.

Good choice!

The rest of the list is great.
Doesn't matter what you choose you will be happy.

eh, ill say the xray comes with clear tubing and a really nice filter with mount. i know that will be your deciding factor.

I'm thinking of getting the Xray.. prospec is heavy.. too beefy of shock towers... i wouldent go for either of those engines.. id go for a novarossi P5 longstroke.. its nice, fun, tons of bottom and plenty of top.. id go for the airtronics 358 for steering and 357 for throtle, pipe id go the the jammin Jp2 pipe..i liek to run color tubing because its more notice able when your back pressure line falls off.. i had trouble with that at one time.. but i solved that...

well use what you liek for fuel tubing.. i never have trouble with my engine not firing...

My XB8 is on the way I have had the Ws7II sitting around waiting for it for the last month. I am gonna be using the Ofna 086 pipe with it but also plan on buying the JP-1 and giving it a try for the low-end. I have a JP-2 on my Storm with a Hyper 8 port and I like that combo a lot so it might be a good choice as well just depends on what kind of performance you want I think it is basically suppose to be the same as the 086 but with better fuel economy and a little more ding resistant. I have used colored fuel tubing because that's all they got at the lhs.

i personally have just purchased the xb8....like you i was concerned of its first year of production...then i saw them at the track....they are awsome....they handle very well and look extremely stable....as for the engine i have an v-spec and all i can say is WOW....the more i run it the faster it gets....as for turbo plugs my lhs has em for around 6-7 bucks....as for the pipe i have the ofna 086 and its nice combo with the v spec for the short tracks we have here....as for fuel tubing....go clear...i agree with eddy on that one....lol....

P3 plugs, 6 for around $20 at rc-mushroom.com

they might....
contact mike at e hobby rc in mayfield kentucky
i think its http://www.ehobbyrc.com

meand husky race together and are good friends...we use the same hobby shop....

Last edited:
i'd get the mugen buggy just becuase mugen has been making buggies a lot longer, makes me think (or at least hope) that they know what they're doing.

for the pipe you can get either the 063 or 086. there are some others, but those are the most common imo. 063 helps bottom-end, 086 helps top-end.

I'd go with the Mugen they have more exp. with 1/8 scale buggies, although the Xray looks nice. I use a RB WS7II and its awesome. Its fast, easy to tune, and lasts a long time even though I run it hot. I had a O.S. a few years ago and I was not satisfied with the longevity of the motor. Maybe the new motor is better, but the RB rocks.

DO you think a company like XRAY will come out with Junk?? Hardly not! They have been on this buggy project for a year or so. I'm sure they have given us one top notch buggy that will hold its own around the world.

I just got me my First 1/8 scale buggy and its a XB8! Gotta start big.

I have built a Storm Pro, 777, and now the XB8.
They are all good kits and would make any owner happy but the XB8 seems to have it all. Everything is well thought out and manufactured well. I have to say it is top shelf.

This is a great time to be into buggies, there is more great stuff on the market then ever before.

Nitro_Freak said:
i'd get the mugen buggy just becuase mugen has been making buggies a lot longer, makes me think (or at least hope) that they know what they're doing

so has nikko :rolleyes: this doesn't have bearing on quality or competitiveness

i love buggys, my mbx4 xr held up from 4 of those huge jumps i did , as seen on the ECB video. its fast, great handleing, and reliable, its my best r/c ever, i just keep thinking, what if i do buy this xray, its gonna be 5x better, niiiice... thanks ALL for all your help on my thread, keep it coming if you think this buggy will be to complicated for a 15 year old. but i do know what i am doing ya know.. thanks! later