Mayhem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thing. I ran 2 more tanks through it last night. Couldn't tonight as now NY has rain. But even then, that .26 was churning. I was only running at about 170F and it was just about ready to scream. I have 2 more tanks for breakin and then I'll open her up. So far I'm totally pleased. Even got a little air under the wheels last night.

Candyman said:
I love this thing. I ran 2 more tanks through it last night. Couldn't tonight as now NY has rain. But even then, that .26 was churning. I was only running at about 170F and it was just about ready to scream. I have 2 more tanks for breakin and then I'll open her up. So far I'm totally pleased. Even got a little air under the wheels last night.
I am so jealous of all you people running their buggies. I suck I have an MBX5 and nothin..... Then again no motor.

I am glad that you like that Mayhem. I almost got one....almost.

Hey john, you wont be disappointed if you do get one. I was so impressed that I bought a second one so my sons and I could race. Now I'm looking at selling one or two of my Revos and getting two more buggies (I'm going to keep at least two of my monster trucks for bashing)as I have 3 sons.
PS.
I've been back in training for two months now and just decided to start playing with some decent weights, started repping with 225 X 16, 275 X 12, 315 X 3 on the bench (had a "rotator-cuff" injury from my Army "Stuff" and Wave jumping on my ski, not including my grapling training with my teenage sons), not too bad for a 193 lb, 41 year old. My goal is a 400 lb bench by end of summer @ 200 lbs body weight

Sgt Blamo said:
Hey john, you wont be disappointed if you do get one. I was so impressed that I bought a second one so my sons and I could race. Now I'm looking at selling one or two of my Revos and getting two more buggies (I'm going to keep at least two of my monster trucks for bashing)as I have 3 sons.
PS.
I've been back in training for two months now and just decided to start playing with some decent weights, started repping with 225 X 16, 275 X 12, 315 X 3 on the bench (had a "rotator-cuff" injury from my Army "Stuff" and Wave jumping on my ski, not including my grapling training with my teenage sons), not too bad for a 193 lb, 41 year old. My goal is a 400 lb bench by end of summer @ 200 lbs body weight
Yeah I am working on that too. An old injury is slowning me down. I am a little lower. I am at 25 pounds less in what I lift. I have the same injury from playing volleyball. I hope to reach at least 375 at the end of this summer or this year.

230 now I am looking to be no more than 235 when I am done,

hey guys
I had a quarrel on the hd-logic tread

I have about had it, they regard the mayhem always as a RTR, and so inferior to the other pro brands
I have the PRO version, what's the difference it comes assembled, if you have to check everything and undo the diffs and the shocks anyway to do competition

would they say still the same, if the identical buggy had been released in kit form by Losi ???
no for sure!
I find the quality is there and the conception is good, and can't be bettered
perhaps a stiffer chassis but the suspension geometry of the Mayhem is as good as
so
can we have a discussion about our car here ??

Last edited:
Since the Mayhem is my first buggy, I can't really say why it's different than others. But I did read Corrado's post which does bring up some good points. I'm sure the fit and finish on those higher end rides is different. But the Mayhem works great for my budget and since I'm not a racer it works fine for me. That's pretty much the bottom line, right?

OK, a couple more discoveries. First, the steering. I am running the RTR. And I noticed that the steering servo was loose. Actually just looked close enough to notice it today. Turns out the 2 screws that hold the rear of the servo to the mounting block are too long and don't thread all the way in. So you can either cut the screws or add a couple shims. I added a couple shims and it's locked down nice and tight now. Much better performance.

And the next tip is for anyone using the JR R135 receiver. I had heard a rumor but couldn't find proof until I did this myself. But if you plug the battery into the battery slot of the receiver, you'll only get 4.8 volts to the servos no matter how big the battery is. Modify the battery plug so it fits into the AUX slot and just look at the difference! Much faster servo response and more power in the steering. It's a noticeable difference! I am also putting an R135 in my Nitro RS4 and my Savage SS and will be doing the same for them. Solves a number of problems with low steering power.

I can assure you the mayhem has indeed a very good finish and fit

I have my xb8 here on the table next to my Mayhem PRO
you just notice directly both cars had the full attention of their conceptors
, the xb8 costing almost twice as much, is a bit more sofisticated with the special steel and carbon, but the mayhem has also really all parts finished to the best of standards

but there is a play by 1 mm in the xb8 steering blocks, the mayhem bearings and steeringballs are really tight fit and my friend says they are as good as or even better than his mbx5's

the xb8 is very very free in his transmission but mine had a notchy teeth in the front diff , the gears being iron cast only
the freedom in the transmission is already much less after use

the mayhem has precision machined and hardened gears, this just means precision and indestructable diffs, so I could never say they are less quality than the xb8's, if they should behave notchy, isn't it just that precise tight fit ?
than it isn't a missfit but a sign of quality on his own...
the Bergonzoni R1 has machined gears too and one has to run them in , 10 minutes in an electric drill, to the left and the right, before they are even fonctional ! but that buggy cost as much as a xb8 and is delivered still with those old brown 2 shoe clutch and rollbearings in it....

c-clips aren't an issue, the rod ends are also precision fit on the mayhem, the xb8's front steering linkrods are just popping off, when I try to work near them and twist them a little, I wonder if nobody had them popping off in hard use

the PRO motorblocks are as close to the chassis as possible even to close for my taste, the RTR has to have taller motormount for the .26, but that isn't the mayhems fault, the cg is very low on the pro with ultralow radiobox,laiddown servo and tank
the suspension arms are twice as sturdy as other buggys, ,wellfinished, beautifull and strong, I don't see them breaking in regular use, I don't even have spares, on bare chassis I can put my whole fist under the rear chassis: 5,40 ! cms of drooplevel, xb8 :3,30 cms

the shocks are even quality but the springscombination of the xb8 seem somehow better reacting ( pushing back to full extention point better)

as to road performance, I have to say the both are driving almost identical, with a bit of initial push over the frontsteering and using almost the same oils necessary to counteract this, the Mayhem feeling more equilibrated with less problems to find a quick good set-up

BOTTOMLINE : I don't see how the quality off the mayhem parts (aluminium, steel and plastics) could be else than what they are now...you just feel, every little part has been thought over and over again till all was perfect from the start
Can you ask for more?
every car having some problems, the mayhem has not many.....
as it is driving as good as a XB8, for the price, it is a jewel

Last edited:
I believe the Mayhem ranks up there with the best of them, it's an excellent buggy for the price.

I'm happy to read all this good feedback on the Mayhem. I'm thinking seriously about buying two Mayhem Pros, with the .21 engine.

By the way, how much faster is the .26 SW engine, compared to the .21 SW engine? Is it enough for me to order one of my Pros w/o engine and buy the SW .26 to put in it?

Does anyone know how the quality and handling of the Mayhem compares to the Lightning 2 Pros?

Thanks.

Little Bias

I'm quite partial to the Mayhem. I got the RTR when they first came out and it has been a great buggy. I hang with all the others at the track. There grrrreat.

I can't remember what mag it was, but they just did a shoot out with the top 5 or 6 RTR's. They included the Lightning, Jammin 1CR, Mayhem and at least two others I can't recal right now. They said that the two top oerformers were the Jammin:2nd place, and the Mayhem: 1st place. They said the two handled comparitively close, but they liked the Mayhem better and that the .26 was the most powerfull motor of all tested.

seems John Adams announced a 1piece motormount for the Mayhem
available in 4 to 8 weeks

Last edited:
mayhem showing some good results now up there with the rest of the pro's
with less drivers

ARCR series first - 19march Alison offroad raceway Little Rock

Final Results 1/8th Scale A-Main
Pos Driver Car MFG Lap / Time
1 Beau Strotman Jammin 28 / 20:05.07
2 Shane McCall XRAY 28 / 20:08.07
3 JD Crow (TQ) XRAY/MaxPower 28 / 20:27.07
4 Brad Shackleford Sportwerks 27 / 20:14.07
5 Ryan Myers XRAy 27 / 20:38.07
6 Tony LaRosa XRAy 26 / 19:31.07
7 Garrett Winningham TTR S3 26 / 20:06.08
8 Adam Taylor Kyosho 25 / 20:23.06
9 David VanPelt OFNA 13 / 9:41.15
10 Dino Walls XRAY 8 / 5:51.17

Last edited:
gdc02 said:
seems John Adams announced a 1piece motormount for the Mayhem
available in 4 to 8 weeks

I'll try to have one out before that! :cheers:

Anyone know if this body will fit on the Mayhem?

Pro-Line Crowd Pleazer 2.0 Body for Mugen MBX-5

Or what other bodies will fit the Mayhem? I hate the stock body look..... the lines of the body are ugly.

The only problem you'll have is the rear body mount as the Mayhems rear mount is located up on the wing mount and the MBX mount is down low by 11/2". Other than that it will fit as I have taken my TT S3 body and it fits perfectly on the MBX and the MBX on the S3, but has the one problem when installed as referanced above.

Sgt Blamo, thanks. So could one use a different rear body mount for the MBX5 body on the Mayhem? Or what would you do... flip the rear body mount?

I have heard that the Crowd Pleazer 7.5 is a pretty close fit and doesn't require tons of modification. However, I don't have firsthand experience to say for sure. Horizon Hobby also now offers the Agitator body for the Mayhem which is a bit different than stock. Again, haven't seen one in person so I'm not sure how it looks up close.

No, you would have to be more creative than that, but it's possible to pull off. However, I think Candyman may be on to something here, as the K cars have a high tail area like the Mayhem. Best bet is to take your Mayhem body into a LHS and match them up, then you'll know what you're up against.