Xerun SCT PRO gearing question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I picked up a Losi TEN-SCTE for parts, and, it came with a XERUN SCT PRO ESC and 4274 motor, that I want to put in my Slash 4x4, so, my question is, what size pinion should I use to run it strictly on 2S without it hurting the motor or ESC?

Holy crap Batman. This setup? That's a 42mm motor I'm not sure it will fit in the Slash?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...74-g3-motor-combo-2250kv-hwa38020504/p1398068

Always watch your motor temps.

If it does and you want to run 2S, figure out how fast you want to go and work from there. This chart is from my VXL with a 3500 KV motor. Find the one that fits your setup. You're limited on the pinion/spur size.
1679357677417.png

There is also another chart in there that states the expected speed for different setups.
1679357730424.png

Since your KV is lower (2250 vs 3500), than this example, you will need a bigger pinion and/or a smaller spur to make of the MPH, but you will have loads of torque. It will probably be a wheely machine.

If you know the gearing you can use a calculator to get an estimate.
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

Holy crap Batman. This setup? That's a 42mm motor I'm not sure it will fit in the Slash?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...74-g3-motor-combo-2250kv-hwa38020504/p1398068

Always watch your motor temps.

If it does and you want to run 2S, figure out how fast you want to go and work from there. This chart is from my VXL with a 3500 KV motor. Find the one that fits your setup. You're limited on the pinion/spur size.
View attachment 162098

There is also another chart in there that states the expected speed for different setups.
View attachment 162099

Since your KV is lower (2250 vs 3500), than this example, you will need a bigger pinion and/or a smaller spur to make of the MPH, but you will have loads of torque. It will probably be a wheely machine.

If you know the gearing you can use a calculator to get an estimate.
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/
It fits, as long as you remove the receiver box.

IMG_20230320_230959014.jpg
IMG_20230320_231015175.jpg
IMG_20230320_231134846.jpg
IMG_20230320_231200015.jpg

I didn't do any modifications except remove the receiver box. The issue is that I'm not looking for insane speed. I would be happy with 50-60MPH. Everything I found though said 17-21T pinion, but, it was all for speed running on 6S and 8S, and, I just want to bash it in fields and skate parks on 2S. Wheelies, however, I can handle, since, almost every truck I have does that. I don't know if it will make a difference, but, I'm running Traxxas Hoss Sledge Hammers.

50-60 mph *is* just about the fastest usable speed for a Slash. At least one that is still capable of running offroad.
But you didn't give us the most important info, the KV (speed) of the motor...

Last edited:
An educated guess tells me that normal sized truggy motor would be around 2200kV. You'll be fine running it on 2S. You just need to gear up and, as always, watch temps. If you want more efficiency from that motor, run it on 3S, or 4S.
I dont want it running 100MPH, or to have to buy even more batteries. I just want to be able to run it without it running into a bunch of huge issues, or burning it up.
The motor is a 2250KV. As for the old setup, it had a velineon setup in it, but, i have actually never ran this truck. I bought it used awhile ago, and it just sat on a shelf, but, when i picked up the setup I'm currently putting in it, i figured, since it is probably the only working truck that might be able to handle it, why not drop it in it. The issue I'm having is that i dont have any pinions that will fit this motor, and, i dont want to spend a fortune buying a bunch just to see what does and doesn't work, and, every gear calculator i have tried, either I'm doing something wrong, or, its doing something wrong. For example, i input everything needed into one calculator, and, with a 54T spur and 20T pinion, it said it would do 9 MPH. All i am looking for is what pinion set should i get, such as, 17T-21T, 12-17T, 21-27T, etc. etc.

EDIT: Nowhere on the motor itself does it say what KV it is, but, google searches show it as between 2000-2250KV.
A couple times though, i have thought about just selling it, but, not before i see it run. I paid $150 for the truck it came in, without ever seeing it work, simply because, for that truck, the Losi TEN-SCTE i bought, i had other plans for that, if i even bother fixing the issues it has. I do this quite often, buy trucks used, let them sit on a shelf, or in a box for sometimes years, until i finally decide I'm gonna do something with them. With this truck, i also picked up an Arrma Raider XL, an ECX Torment, and another Arrma Fury, and, they will probably all be running before the Slash is anywhere near finished.

Last edited: