X max -HELP New 8S

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trip07

RC Newbie
Reaction score
New to the RC world, just purchased my first rig for my son two weeks ago- (sledge) & just purchased my rig this week x max 8s. The esc took a dump in the first hour… was not happy! I figured since I had to take it apart might as well upgrade it right? But I had no earthly idea the rabbit hole was this deep!!! Haha was looking to go with a mamba monster x 8s 33.6v esc w/1717-1260kv sensored motor. From the reviews I’ve read it seams to be a good combo??? What are your thoughts ??

I would probably go with the XLX2. The Mamba Monster is a 1/6 scale ESC. The XLX2 is a 1/5 scale ESC, so better suited for your Xmaxx. @STONER RC

New to the RC world, just purchased my first rig for my son two weeks ago- (sledge) & just purchased my rig this week x max 8s. The esc took a dump in the first hour… was not happy! I figured since I had to take it apart might as well upgrade it right? But I had no earthly idea the rabbit hole was this deep!!! Haha was looking to go with a mamba monster x 8s 33.6v esc w/1717-1260kv sensored motor. From the reviews I’ve read it seams to be a good combo??? What are your thoughts ??
Welcome to the best RC forum. Bunch of good guys with tons of knowledge of everything RC.... Now to your Question. Wow you jumped in head first. The whole gets deep fast. Just a heads up haha..RTR rc's are truly not RTR. You should always go over the entire kit. Screw for screw.. makes sure gears/diff are greased properly. Spur/pinon gear mesh is correct. Traxxas electronics are horrible IMO... most will agree. They only get you out the box... most won't last long..

I personally love castle. My opinion they are the best built RC products. But you have to look. At all the specs. The monster X 8s. Is only a good esc for up to 25lbs. So unless you don't have any intentions on upgrading any other parts. It might be OK. Ok.. the X weights about 20lbs. Stock out of the box.. If your esc went that quick. Your steering servo will end up going out next. It's way under powered. I got more steering toruqe in my Emaxx i built... You really should look at the Castle Mamba XLX2.. and a better steering servo. It can get over welming very fast.... any questions please just post up.. There's NO small or stupid questions. We are all here to learn and grow are knowledge in the hobby. We all learn from each other....

Screenshot_20220724-071803_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220724-073758_Chrome.jpg

Welcome to the world of that wascally wabbit.
And it's a quick little rabbit. Hahaha.. glad to see ya bud... @trip07 sorry I was wrong the XLX2 is good up to 42lbs... I also did some other upgrades. My X now weight 22lbs.. I would drop. A little more money. In the beginning then by twice. Most expensive upgrade is the cheaper one after you by it multiple times.. Best line in rc.

@STONER RC thanks for the help & info!! Do I need to change the gears for that set up? I just canceled the pervious order and ordered the Castle Mamba XLX2

@STONER RC thanks for the help & info!! Do I need to change the gears for that set up? I just canceled the pervious order and ordered the Castle Mamba XLX2
Whats up bud. I run 20/50 pinon/spur. Your still stock gears. So I think 19 54. Unless you changed it to the 46t it comes with..
@trip07 the 20/50. Is a good bashing gearing in my opinon. I also run the XLX2 with 1100kv motor in my Kra8 "kraton 8s". The XLX2 will wake up your stock motor also..

@STONER RC whats up man ! Finally broke my spit gear, had to go to three stores to find a 8mm pinion gear!! What gear manufacturer do you suggest ? It’s hard to find one with good reviews online

@STONER RC whats up man ! Finally broke my spit gear, had to go to three stores to find a 8mm pinion gear!! What gear manufacturer do you suggest ? It’s hard to find one with good reviews online
I run harden steal gears on ny X. The stock gear are aluminum for some god offal reason. What motor you running. With a 8mm shaft?

Xlx2 1100
Castle XLX2 with the 1100kv motor. Will need a WFO or a different big motor mount.. won't mount with the stock mount.. I love castle products best out there. IMO well worth the extra $$ compared to HW..

I’ve got the m2c motor mount front and rear, with the Esc mount. The mount moved the esc to the top. It’s a pretty robust mounting system. I’m having trouble finding the correct gear ratio to run. Or I’m not looking in the right spot to find a good enough 8mm spur gear

Motor & esc mount - https://m2cracing.net/home/743-m2c-1118-x-series-motor-mount-system.html

Rear motor mount -
https://m2cracing.net/home/761-m2c-1130-x-series-rear-motor-brace.html
What motor you running again sorry? The m2c mount is a good mount. You will be limited to what gears you use. Going have to go bigger pinon and smaller spur. With my 1100kv. Amd WFO mount I'm looking at a 25/35 gearing. So going to order. Pinons from 24-28t Amd spurs from 30-35t. You might have to change the drive gear shaft. Or change the crush drive. To eliminate the crush drive..

Back