Wow, Nice Quality Control Traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
So, long story short, one of the shocks on my MERV is starting to leak a little. I expected it from my research, and knew it was a problem area if you bashed the MERV hard. No big deal, I'll order up some better shocks. I dont' have a hobby shop close by, so I mail order from an in state hobby shop a lot. So, my nice shiny Traxxas GTR shocks showed up today (still sealed in the package), and here's what I get.

All four of my shocks have damaged theads, looks like some bonehead used pliers to assemble them instead of nice flat spots for a wrench up top under the cap as designed. You can obviously feel the rough spot when adjusting the pre load collars.

P1030670Medium.jpg

In addition to that, the one weak area where mine leaks hasn't even been adressed. It's the little plastic press on cap at the bottom where the shaft passes through. Most other aftermarket shocks use a machined, threaded cap here.

P1030672Medium.jpg

Also, the caps, pre-load collars, and spring retainers are all plastic as well. I don't mind that too bad on cheaper stuff, but on a tiny set of shocks that cost $40? I called Traxxas (the hobby shop didn't manufacture them after all), and they basically acted like they didn't care at all. They guy simply said, I'll pass that info along, thanks. Maybe I'm just being picky, but like the rest of you, I work hard for my money, and at $10 each for tiny little shocks, I expected a lot more, especially from Traxxas. What a turd these things are; shiny, blingy turds. :ahem:

I have the same shocks,Mine leak like a sift too, and no matter how I adjust them they don't get better, between the shocks and the " repaired" leaky bulkheads on mine, I'm about ready to throw it on a shelf and just look at it.

MERV CURSE BRO....MERV CURSE!!!!

Last edited:
my 7 year old son works for Traxxas..i think he put those together! what a joke !

I expected a lot more, especially from Traxxas.

Why? Traxxas is not a high end supplier. Better than the knock offs from China but their stuff is still all mass produced in higher volumes so there will always be some quality issues from time to time.

Their customer service response leaves something to question though.

I havehave the samerest shocks,Mine leak like a sift too, and no matter how I adjust them they don't get better, between the shocks and the " repaired" leaky bulkheads on mine, I'm about ready to throw it on a shelf and just look at it.

MERV CURSE BRO....MERV CURSE!!!!

Not mine, I fully intend to beat on it relentlessly. As soon as I find good shocks that is. I'm telling you, darn things should come with a Ouija board. :hehe:

Why? Traxxas is not a high end supplier. Better than the knock offs from China but their stuff is still all mass produced in higher volumes so there will always be some quality issues from time to time.

Their customer service response leaves something to question though.

Good point Randy, I guess I expected more based simply on the price. And as well all know, that doesn't hold true, as Integy still exists. :D I guess it's a good lesson learned, for aftermarket items, go to an aftermarket company.

The support from them was astonishing though. I've always had top notch support from HPI on the ground based stuff, and outstanding support from Horizon on all my E Flite helis.

Back