Wltoys 144001 parts and companies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah Zimmerman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I was curious if anyone has experience with upgrade and stock parts quality from different manufacturers. I have bought a few parts from different manufacturers with different levels of quality. It seems many parts look exactly the same but listed as different companies. Are they all just selling the same parts? Some prices can be double for what looks like the same part. It seems hard to trust banggood or random sellers on Amazon. Is there one brand or seller that I can depend on? It seems you can get some things directly from wltoys site but not everything. Any advice appreciated.

Its that way with Exceed/Himoto/HSP/Redcat/VRX/ I've experienced as well.

Exceed Vorza .18 buggy from nrx $169
Redcat Shockwave .18 as well $199

Shockwave had only a lower arm with tie rod link upper setup.

Exceed has upper and lower arm setup

Plastics quality i tapped a buddies 4x4 stampede at about 25 and shattered every plastic peice from bumper to the center handle by trans...

I bashed the exceed for 3 years and only had typical nitro model items that failed from wear like a clutch and spur

I couldnt get one full tank out of the redcat it was total pos.

But theyre exactly the same models just ones a chinese clone of a UK original

Its that way with Exceed/Himoto/HSP/Redcat/VRX/ I've experienced as well.

Exceed Vorza .18 buggy from nrx $169
Redcat Shockwave .18 as well $199

Shockwave had only a lower arm with tie rod link upper setup.

Exceed has upper and lower arm setup

Plastics quality i tapped a buddies 4x4 stampede at about 25 and shattered every plastic peice from bumper to the center handle by trans...

I bashed the exceed for 3 years and only had typical nitro model items that failed from wear like a clutch and spur

I couldnt get one full tank out of the redcat it was total pos.

But theyre exactly the same models just ones a chinese clone of a UK original
I know this is an old thread, but HSP is Chinese not from the UK. Both Exceed and Redcat are rebrands of HSP not clones. They use the designs from HSP but make their own parts hence the difference in quality.

I have a bit of experience with these.

WL toys own brand parts are better than some of the random ones on ali express etc.

Best value* parts are generally from LC racing (the car WL toys copied) although some parts are not interchangeable (diffs etc.).

I have started to upgrade and replace parts on my LC racing buggy & any non-broken part goes on my WL toys car (e.g getting the LC racing hard arms set & put the normal LC racing arms on the WL toys car).

The LC racing sway bars fit perfectly too & the LC racing wheels and tyres are a sweet upgrade.

There are a few pretend WL toys "official" websites out there, I am not 100% sure the one I use is the right one - it usually has everything though.

*not cheapest, best cost to quality ratio.

I have a bit of experience with these.

WL toys own brand parts are better than some of the random ones on ali express etc.

Best value* parts are generally from LC racing (the car WL toys copied) although some parts are not interchangeable (diffs etc.).

I have started to upgrade and replace parts on my LC racing buggy & any non-broken part goes on my WL toys car (e.g getting the LC racing hard arms set & put the normal LC racing arms on the WL toys car).

The LC racing sway bars fit perfectly too & the LC racing wheels and tyres are a sweet upgrade.

There are a few pretend WL toys "official" websites out there, I am not 100% sure the one I use is the right one - it usually has everything though.

*not cheapest, best cost to quality ratio.

So far these are the Lc Racing parts that I know of won't fit on the 144001.

Motor mount.
Slipper assembly.
Gearboxes.
Diffs.
Shock towers.
Center driveshaft.
Top deck.

You need to run the chassis and servo mount from one or the other you can't mix and match them as the servo mounts have different hole spacing on the chassis.

I was curious if anyone has experience with upgrade and stock parts quality from different manufacturers. I have bought a few parts from different manufacturers with different levels of quality. It seems many parts look exactly the same but listed as different companies. Are they all just selling the same parts? Some prices can be double for what looks like the same part. It seems hard to trust banggood or random sellers on Amazon. Is there one brand or seller that I can depend on? It seems you can get some things directly from wltoys site but not everything. Any advice appreciated.
I'm not sure, but I've heard Banggood is trustworthy. Many people use them. Try LC-Racing, the Wltoys 144001/124019 platform take heavy insparation from the LC Racing EMB line, the LC-R stiff is like the Rolls Royce of 1/12 and 1/14swcale cars, they are mor expensive, but worth it, they handle even better than Wltoys, and you have more tuning, better quality, ect.

Some LC-Racing parts will bolt straight onto the Wltoys cars, while others, like most of the driveline, won't. Search online to find what parts will fit and what won't, feel free to ask me too! LC-R stuff is high quality, I have 3 of their parts on my brushless 144001 and love them!

Motor mount.
Slipper assembly.
Gearboxes.
Diffs.
Shock towers.
Center driveshaft.
Top deck.

You need to run the chassis and servo mount from one or the other you can't mix and match them as the servo mounts have different hole spacing on the chassis.
Check out this article by my favorite RC "blogger", he knows a lot about these Wltoys and LC-R rigs!

I'm not sure, but I've heard Banggood is trustworthy. Many people use them. Try LC-Racing, the Wltoys 144001/124019 platform take heavy insparation from the LC Racing EMB line, the LC-R stiff is like the Rolls Royce of 1/12 and 1/14swcale cars, they are mor expensive, but worth it, they handle even better than Wltoys, and you have more tuning, better quality, ect.

Some LC-Racing parts will bolt straight onto the Wltoys cars, while others, like most of the driveline, won't. Search online to find what parts will fit and what won't, feel free to ask me too! LC-R stuff is high quality, I have 3 of their parts on my brushless 144001 and love them!

Check out this article by my favorite RC "blogger", he knows a lot about these Wltoys and LC-R rigs!
The list of parts that don't fit is shorter though lol

He was a huge help in doing the brushless conversion to my 144001. We are actually friends on the Bookface.

Motor mount.
Slipper assembly.
Gearboxes.
Diffs.
Shock towers.
Center driveshaft.
Top deck.

I'm going to try and get shock towers to fit sometime soon - hopefully they fit with a little modification (I hoped they would have fitted without much effort from a quick look at them)

Do the diffs mesh with the bit on the end of the drive shaft? or do you need to switch both - I heard they didn't mesh & didn't do any more checking. I need a diff on my 124017 soon, so might upgrade to a sealed LC diff if I don't need to buy lots of parts to do it.
Negative sir, they are a different size and gear pitch. It is cheaper to buy an EMB-1 than it is to swap in the LC Racing diffs.
You would need the following items.
Diffs x2 https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1727&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Gearboxes x2 https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1585&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Shock towers https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1584&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Slipper assembly - https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1587&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Motor mount https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1600&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Spur gear https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1580&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Top plate https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1564&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Gear cover set https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1601&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Diff pinion gears x2 https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1589&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Front diff gear shaft https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1588&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Center drive shaft https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1565&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Pinion https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=2317&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100
Also bearings for diffs and M2.6 screws for the motor mount as the WL Toys uses M2.5.
And I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff.
I'm going to try and get shock towers to fit sometime soon - hopefully they fit with a little modification (I hoped they would have fitted without much effort from a quick look at them)
You might be able to. The last guy I know of that tried it he had to take so much material off the gearbox it broke on the first time out.

This is the WL Toys shock towers on top of the LC Racing ones.
20191223_160537.jpg
20191223_153003-1612x1209.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't see the word "don't" when I first read your post & got excited :)

I have got an LC12b1 (almost a copy of Quadify's build) and a EMB-T already, so no need for that project!

Thanks for the detail though!

Thanks for those pics too, might try removing shock mount material instead of gearbox.

Will get the dremal ready :)

Here is the latest parts adventure. Aluminum top plate from Amazon. Brand is Buifish? Slightly too long so I ground down each end slightly. Then I realized the bolt holes for the motor mount were WAY off. Had to do some major surgery with a drill and dremel to elongate the holes as well as adding bigger washers to the screws to secure it. Difficult to trust any aftermarket parts for this thing. Have not yet added any of the lc racing parts but I may if I keep running it.

Attachments

• 20220130_185316.jpg
    20220130_185316.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 47
Here is the latest parts adventure. Aluminum top plate from Amazon. Brand is Buifish? Slightly too long so I ground down each end slightly. Then I realized the bolt holes for the motor mount were WAY off. Had to do some major surgery with a drill and dremel to elongate the holes as well as adding bigger washers to the screws to secure it. Difficult to trust any aftermarket parts for this thing. Have not yet added any of the lc racing parts but I may if I keep running it.
Ok, I never knew there were so many different quality levels for parts for these cars, I thought they were all about the same. The top deck is one of those problematic parts, it seems that most of the upgrade decks, be it for the 144001 or the LC-Racing EMB line, a lot of the time those rear motor mount and/or rear bulkhead screws don't line up. There are metal top decks that fit right on though, you just have to find them. The LC Racing cars have a slightly different rear screw location for the top decks, and also note, like @Slick2500 said earlier, the LC-R shock towers have slightly different holes too, but it sounds like you know your drill and dremel stuff!

I got a rotary tool from my friend as a gift a month ago, and I'm loving it, I've wanted one for several years! Makes projects so much faster and easier! I recommend the LC-R stuff, but again, check online to see if it fits, and/or ask us! And don't forget this handy article!

-Isaac

Weird I bought the red one off Amazon and it was a perfect fit. 🤷‍♂️

Weird I bought the red one off Amazon and it was a perfect fit. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah it seems like some are made for the 144001, while others, supposed to be for the 144001 too, seem to be for the LC-R EMB short wheel base cars?! I'm wondering, does the metal top deck stiffen up the car noticeably? Stock, at least for me, the 144001 doesn't have chassis flex issues, but I'm curious anyway. The stock plastic deck doesn't do anything, it's SUPER flexible, literally only provides a mounting place for the ESC. Is the deck thick enough that the metal stiffens the car, or does the dip in the center for the ESC take away most of the added stiffness?

Yeah it seems like some are made for the 144001, while others, supposed to be for the 144001 too, seem to be for the LC-R EMB short wheel base cars?! I'm wondering, does the metal top deck stiffen up the car noticeably? Stock, at least for me, the 144001 doesn't have chassis flex issues, but I'm curious anyway. The stock plastic deck doesn't do anything, it's SUPER flexible, literally only provides a mounting place for the ESC. Is the deck thick enough that the metal stiffens the car, or does the dip in the center for the ESC take away most of the added stiffness?
I think the stock top decks are only supposed to work in tension and compression to stop the chassis flexing in the way that the 104001 does.

If you try to stretch the top deck by holding both ends it wont move much, it will deform under compression though, but it will stay roughly in shape and is bolted down at 4 points along its length (2 at each end - actually 4 bolts at each end, but each point has 2 parallel bolts so only counting it as 1 point along that plane) so that will help reduce the amount it deforms.

Yeah, I'm guessing that the top plate I got was designed for the lc racing cars even though it was listed to only fit the 144001. The main reason I got it was because I had a light front impact that bent the prop shaft. I think this was likely caused by compression of the top plate, letting the diffs push together and bending the shaft. The metal top plate is much stiffer even with the screwed together drop mount for the esc. I can only hope this will keep the prop shaft from getting compressed in an impact.

What about servos? Does anyone know of a list of 3 wire servo options that are the same size as a 124017 servo? I have 1 on order from China (JX Servo PDI-1181MG 18g 3.5KG Metal Gear).
But I think it's going to be a while.

Did anyone find M0.7 pinions to replace the original one? Or maybe a new spur gear with a more common pitch?

Did anyone find M0.7 pinions to replace the original one? Or maybe a new spur gear with a more common pitch?
Yes, I bought the 15t ones reccomended on quadify s website. They work on a 24xx motor using the small holes on the original motor mounts. The 124017 v2 19t pinion & new "v2 blue" motor mount also work with a brushless 28xx can.

I just found the least play in the steering using off the shelf parts is; use the LC racing steering parts with the WL toys steering bar inserts(top hats) & sand about 0.25mm off the top hats. Need slightly wider bearings for the inside of the front wheels too.

I am trying a few diffrent set ups on 2 WL toys cars and 2 seperate LC racing cars.

Back