WL 959A upgrading to a 4-channel RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleckan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
As it says above, I want to improve my car by upgrading to a better RC. Is it possible to upgrade to a 4 channel RC and if so, what more is needed other than transmitter and receiver? I assume that I need a new servo, but any suggestions on which one I should buy? I'm completely new at this and would appreciate help.

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend a Traxxas 2WD model for a starter (specifically brushed ones).

Welcome in @bleckan , what's the reasoning for four channels if you don't mind me asking?
Throttle and steering is all you need in a buggy.
Also you mentioned you are trying to get it to run better, what is it that you don't like?
Or did I just misread your post?

Welcome in @bleckan , what's the reasoning for four channels if you don't mind me asking?
Throttle and steering is all you need in a buggy.
Also you mentioned you are trying to get it to run better, what is it that you don't like?
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm annoyed that it disconnects constantly. For every full battery run, I have to reset it 5-10x, turning both the car and the RC on an off.
Nothing specific about 4 channels, just that I looked at those as potential replacement controllers.

Oops sorry. Thought you were asking about a complete new RC car.😅

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm annoyed that it disconnects constantly. For every full battery run, I have to reset it 5-10x, turning both the car and the RC on an off.
Nothing specific about 4 channels, just that I looked at those as potential replacement controllers.
No, I got one just randomly, but would like to upgrade the transmitter and receiver to higher quality. I assume that I need a new servo as well. The problem is that my servo has 5 cables (where most transmitters use three) and the speed control is not connected the same way as the servo, with 5 thin cables but is directly welded between transmitter and connected on 2 thicker cables to the engine.

So, if you have any suggestions on how best to upgrade, I would appreciate it.

Binding issue is definitely gonna be one or the other between tx & rx.

I believe those have an integrated rx & ESC, so a new tx/rx combo also means new ESC, and possibly servo if it uses a 5-wire.

Consider the Flysky GT3C. They're a good 3 channel transmitter for the price, have 10 model memory, and extra receivers are cheap, like $8. For ESC, if you're keeping it brushed, I recommend the Hobbywing 1060. but it would be a good time to convert to brushless with a Hobbywing 16BL30 ESC and some flavor of decent 2430, 2435 or 2440 motor.

Binding issue is definitely gonna be one or the other between tx & rx.

I believe those have an integrated rx & ESC, so a new tx/rx combo also means new ESC, and possibly servo if it uses a 5-wire.

Consider the Flysky GT3C. They're a good 3 channel transmitter for the price, have 10 model memory, and extra receivers are cheap, like $8. For ESC, if you're keeping it brushed, I recommend the Hobbywing 1060. but it would be a good time to convert to brushless with a Hobbywing 16BL30 ESC and some flavor of decent 2430, 2435 or 2440 motor.
Thanks. This is super helpful!

I used GoolRC electronics off Amazon in one of my old cars. Models- ESC: GoolRC AX-D60A Radio system: GoolRC AX5S 2.4GHz 3CH Radio

I second the Flysky GT3C, it's agreat budget radio, I have two of them.
Did you do a complete rebind and calibration? It will show how to perform that if you don't know in your user manual.

no new servo needed. all you need to do is Bind radio to receiver and then calibrate esc to new radio then your good to play..

no new servo needed. all you need to do is Bind radio to receiver and then calibrate esc to new radio then your good to play..
Thanks for the great suggestion. But can you connect the 5-wire servo cable that I have to a 3 wire receiver of the new RC controller? E.f. is there an adapter that can do this? Do you know of any links the showcase this?
I used GoolRC electronics off Amazon in one of my old cars. Models- ESC: GoolRC AX-D60A Radio system: GoolRC AX5S 2.4GHz 3CH Radio
Are there any alternatives that to AX-D60A that you can recommend? I can't find it anywhere in Germany. And will it work with any ESC? I have this one installed: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08LDHZFR6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

If it's like every other cheap small scale RTR I've ever seen with the integrated Rx/ESC, it's permanently paired to the original Tx.

And of course it won't be compatible with a different Tx/Rx combo, since there's no external signal input on the integrated units to be used as just an ESC.

Last edited:
If it's like every other cheap small scale RTR I've ever seen with the integrated Rx/ESC, it's permanently paired to the original Tx.

And of course it won't be compatible with a different Tx/Rx combo, since there's no external signal input on the integrated units to be used as just an ESC.
So that means that a new ESC + speed controller, receiver+transmitter + 3-wire servo is needed?

Regarding the car, I bought it for a small child who is too young so now I'm just testing around and am mainly interested in the build rather than saving money per se.

As it says above, I want to improve my car by upgrading to a better RC. Is it possible to upgrade to a 4 channel RC and if so, what more is needed other than transmitter and receiver? I assume that I need a new servo, but any suggestions on which one I should buy? I'm completely new at this and would appreciate help.
WL uses proprietary connectors on their servos and receivers. Maybe not so much proprietary as uncommon. Either way, the best thing to do is change the receiver, speed controller and steering servo. I did that on my WL Toys Match 140010 or whatever that number is. Made a huge difference. I used a cheap motor and esc from amazon and I used a Radio Link receiver with a new transmitter combo platter. Everything is working perfectly.

Back