Winter crawler project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach Z

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I need something to keep me busy over the winter and I've been thinking about getting into electrics for a while so I've decided on an Axial crawler to start with. Seems like a great setup out of the box with lots of support and many people have done it before me so I can look to other builds for ideas. Because this is my first venture into electric I'm looking for suggestions as to what parts to use for the build.
So far my plan is:

Axial ax10 kit

Radio - Spektrum DX3R Bit overkill but going to use it for my LST2 as well as an 8ight that I'm building to hopefully race

Servo - Hitec 985 @ 172oz. or a JR 9000T @ 320oz. More is always better right?

Motor and esc -Novak seems like the go to for this stuff so I'm debating between the rooster and the goat brushless. Is it worth an extra $150 to go brushless if I'm not competing. That said I usually end up taking things to the extreme anyway!

Battery - Max amps 7.4v 1720mah - Is this going to give me enough run time or should I go bigger. I'd like to keep it as light as possible??

Charger - Superbrain 989 Maybe a bit much but should do anything I ever need

Are the Axial option parts a big help? I'm thinking the battery tray over the front axle is a good idea but what about the rest of it?

Thanks guys and as always
:bowtothercnt:

Definately go with an ultra high torque steering servo. Speed doesn't really mean crap for a crawler, it's all about torque. You won't be running a servo saver so you want the strongest that you can afford.

If you want to save some cash (ie. spend a little more on a better servo), a popular power combo is the Rooster Crawler with an Integy 55 or 60 turn lathe motor.

yes, put the battery over the axle. EVERYBODY does that. They say it's much much better for the center of gravity and even w/o having one I certainly agree.

Yeah I kinda figured I'd end up with the brushless. Anybod have any thoughts on the mamba max or if its even appropriate?

no, not appropriate.

Bottom line, for crawling you want a higher number of turns. For brushed motors that means somwhere in the 50-60 turn range and 18.5 is the popular number right now for brushless.

If you want brushless, you probably want to look into the Novak Goat Crawler system. There a significant price difference between a Brushed and Brushless system. ~$70

Last edited:
I have the brushless novac its alot of fun but you have to have alot of throttle control,my crawler with this system will do I bet 15-20 mph I could see it snapping axles if i was not easy on the gas...other than that it rocks!!!!!!hahahahah get it rocks:LoL::LoL::LoL::LoL: also fill the tires with bbs this will help keep them planted in a big way!!!!!!!!!!

Back