Will my engine overheat ?

• Thread starter TheOneTrueMorty
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOneTrueMorty

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone !
So I just upgraded (maybe way too much idk) my savage truck and now it has a 450cc fuel tank and a brand new bodyshell.
However the bodyshell has no vent and i was wondering if the added run time combined with a ventless bodyshell will damage my engine.
Do you guys know if it will overheat and if so, where should I pierce the vents ?

Attachments

• 20201206_183210.jpg
    20201206_183210.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20201206_183227.jpg
    20201206_183227.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20201206_183306.jpg
    20201206_183306.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 89
Hello everyone !
So I just upgraded (maybe way too much idk) my savage truck and now it has a 450cc fuel tank and a brand new bodyshell.
However the bodyshell has no vent and i was wondering if the added run time combined with a ventless bodyshell will damage my engine.
Do you guys know if it will overheat and if so, where should I pierce the vents ?
I would definitely put some venting on the body

bigger tank longer runtime but run slightly richer on high needle. Check the temp with the body off and on to see the difference.

Just keep an eye on your engine temp. If it starts getting over 280-290F then you need to do something. I usually drill holes or cut slots in to the windshields on the body to allow more air to pass through.

Anything over 250 degrees is shorting engine life.

Anything over 250 degrees is shorting engine life.
Not necessarily. Different engines have different max temps that the manufacture will recommend. Dynamite recommends a max temp of 270F. Picco (back when they still made .28s) recommends a max of 280F. I believe LRP is in between at 275F. Max temp is really just a cautionary warning indicator anyway. You dont tune for temps. If you tune the engine properly it will run at the proper temp for that engine. I've got nitro engines that I bought back in 2008-2010 that still run just fine. granted the oldest one I did have to put a new sleeve in piston in it a few years ago but that engine probably had 15+ gallons through it at that point. Its been in 3 different kits. Granted thats anecdotal evidence but so far so good.

The first thing you need to know is any car body should never be on a Nitro without some kind of way for air to escape and for air to go in.

First things first you want to trim the body where the engine head is shown and if you can get it trimmed where the high speed is shown. at least that would be even better in case you need to make minor Corrections with your high-speed.

But having a uncut body over a nitro engine is a big No-No even if you have the thing set Rich. there'll be no air blowing at all to regulate the cooling. Example if you drive on a rough area like a sand or high grass you going to need a lot of cooling to compensate for that load.

Let me give you a few suggestions i'll be a second.
Now I did my best to outline the areas that you have to cut where your engine is at.

Be careful because I made this mistake before numerous of times. Try not to cut in places that are going to damage the holes where the body Clips go. but generally the cut you want to do is the markings that I made.

But the engine has to have some ventilation yes it has to have some ventilation

That one cool thing I found if if you don't want to cut the windshields for cooling side ones I mean. You can drill small holes and you still have the side windows.

Any nitro engine got to have some ventilation. One way or the other. I know this thread but I figured i'm trying to get to know everybody and hopefully this will help. I try to do a neat job on the markings but it turned out to be lousy. But I meant well.

Attachments

• 20201206_183210.jpg
    20201206_183210.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201206_183227.jpg
    20201206_183227.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited: