Latrax Teton ESC Red Blink & Power Drop with 2s Lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan w

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

Bought an used Teton but I havet a problem. Alter 10-20 seconds I loose half of the power and the esc blinking red. I run a new 2s lipo. Have in the lipomode and not nimh. The car still works but just half speed. If I shut i down and restart, works for a couple of seconds and same again. Asking before I start to buy things.

/Stefan

Do you have a temp gun? I'd temp the motor and ESC - if it's getting too hot, it could be going into limp mode.

Temp it after it cuts speed and post the temp in here.

Have you tried running it on NiMH batteries? If so, does it go into limp mode on NiMH?

Also - what's the "C" rating on your lipo? Not an expert - but if the "C" is too high, it could be causing the ESC or motor to overheat. Many ESCs have a built-in cutoff if their temperature gets too high.

Do you have a temp gun? I'd temp the motor and ESC - if it's getting too hot, it could be going into limp mode.

Temp it after it cuts speed and post the temp in here.

Have you tried running it on NiMH batteries? If so, does it go into limp mode on NiMH?

Also - what's the "C" rating on your lipo? Not an expert - but if the "C" is too high, it could be causing the ESC or motor to overheat. Many ESCs have a built-in cutoff if their temperature gets too high.
Thanks

I do not own a tempgun but maybe need to get one. But do you really It could be that hot so fast? Like a couple of seconds.

At the moment I only got lipos. It says 25c on It. A vp-racing 2000mha.

/Stefan

I found the manual! https://latrax.com/sites/default/files/76054-1 OM-N-EN-R01.pdf

Check Page 13:
  • Fast blinking red means that it's overheating
  • Slow blinking red means that it's hit low voltage protection
If it's still running but slowly, it sounds like your batteries might be dead. Were they used? Might be worth charging them and testing them with a multimeter. A fully-charged 2s lipo should make around 8.4 volts.

25C is pretty mild - I doubt it's that. I'm not sure what the recommended C rating is for lipos on the LaTrax ESC, but I doubt it's too high.

Yes its blinking slow. No its new batteries and tried the car last week and didnt have this problem. But I charged if full now so Will try later and see if it makes and difference.

Thanks man!

What I always say to do is make sure the battery is fully charged and balanced (2s is 8.4V, 4.2v/cell) just incase if it was low voltage cutoff.
Most of the time if it cuts power to half throttle or less, its mostly low voltage or thermal.
And the slow blinking light means that it is voltage. After a full charge it should all work again.

Well you were right. I took it for a spin now and worked great. The thing is i replaced a couple of plastic parts yesterday and wanted to try it so I took my storaged-charged lipo (that I was told should be around 50% of the full capacity). Think my charger puts it to 3.8V in storage. Didnt think it should hit low voltage directly from storage.

Awesome! Yeah, a storage charge is waaaaay lower than the low-voltage cutoff. I am not a battery expert, but I can tell you that running a 2s at 3.8v is looking for trouble!

Back