Wide Ratio Vs Close Ratio Gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madnking

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have read alot of people are installing or want to install close ratio gears. I have a REvo with a .23 going into it in the next few days. I have read in R/C Car magazine that they did this mod and used wide ratio gears with a 14t clutchbell. What is the difference between the gears?

With a wide ratio the RPMs will drop more when it shifts, If you have a motor that has alot of lowend power and and/or spools up quick its ok.

To put it simply, a close ratio is generally for more acceleration but sacrificing some top end. Whereas a wide ratio sacrafices acceleration for a greater top end. The applications differ between motors.

exactly as vince said. for a more powerful engine, a close-ratio may have trouble controlling acceleration (wheelies, etc), where as a wide-ratio with a powerful engine would give controllable acceleration (no or little wheelies) while allowing slightly higher top speed.

for stock engine, i plan on going 40T spur gear and close-ratio to maximize acceleration as wheelies are not an issue with the 2.5R, likely even with 40T spur gear.

I have stock gearing on my REVO and it will do wheelies all day. Stock mill too.

Back