Why does the glow plug and top of the piston look like this?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just noticed that, after taking out the glow plug on my savage, there is some nasty stuff that was stuck on it, also looking down at the piston, you can clearly see it has the same build up of this?

Doesn't look right, and wont this scratch the piston the sleeve?

On closer inspection, I cleaned the plug, the engine head will need to be removed in order to clean the piston.
Those damn bolts are so tight, that I am afraid I will round them.

I wonder if this is because this truck hasn't been used in years, and its rust build up inside the engine.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7148.JPG
    IMG_7148.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7149.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 86
thats dirt!

what air filter are u using? how often do you clean it

thats dirt!

what air filter are u using? how often do you clean it

Original double filtration filter. Always oiled and clean.
I do not clean it every 1 hr of runtime, but lets say I clean it often enough, especially when I see it getting dirty.
I am suprised this would be dirt, I was thinking since this engine sat for years without being used and it did not have after run oil applied, it could be the rust that found its way up, once the engine was ran again.

I took off the engine head and cleaned it all up nicely, couldn't see any scratches on the sleeve.

Cheers

What fuel do you use and what do you use for after run oil if anything? Does look kind of chunky to just be carbon build up.

Did you use a fuel filter as well? Sometimes dust do get in, although they don't really harm the engine much, but could clog up the engine. Also burned and leftover lubricant.

What fuel do you use and what do you use for after run oil if anything? Does look kind of chunky to just be carbon build up.
Byrons 20/16

For after run I use innox mx3.

Did you use a fuel filter as well? Sometimes dust do get in, although they don't really harm the engine much, but could clog up the engine. Also burned and leftover lubricant.

No, I never use fuel filters on my nitros.

Thanks

Never noticed anything like that on mine. Been running byrons 2500 race fuel for 15 years or so. I just use great planes ARO oil I picked up at my LHS many many years ago.

Isn’t 16% oil quite high in that fuel? Potentially leading to significant deposits….??

Good thing I purchased 8 gallons then, found it cheapish so grabbed to whole store stock...

Thought its one of the best fuels out there.

Why would they put 16% if its no good?

Thanks

Good info in this thread.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-fuel-for-ke21sp-engine.133149/

You can also search for other threads on this same topic. There is tons of great info on this site.

I was merely asking my question above to the group who may have used high oil percentages to get their input. My engine manufacturer (Reds) recommends 12% oil during break-in and then 8-10% thereafter. I have never run 16% oil so I can’t say from personal experience. From what I understand, airplane and helicopter fuel have higher oil content. I’m not saying 16% is inherently bad, just may lead to more engine deposits but can’t say for sure, just a hypothesis. I would clean up that engine and run the 16% for awhile and see how it does. If you get significant deposits quickly then you will have your answer. It also depends upon what type oil is in the fuel. Some castor oils will tend to gum the engine up more quickly, synthetic oils typically less. Some fuel suppliers use a combination of both to try snd get the best of both worlds. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Good info in this thread.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-fuel-for-ke21sp-engine.133149/

You can also search for other threads on this same topic. There is tons of great info on this site.

I was merely asking my question above to the group who may have used high oil percentages to get their input. My engine manufacturer (Reds) recommends 12% oil during break-in and then 8-10% thereafter. I have never run 16% oil so I can’t say from personal experience. From what I understand, airplane and helicopter fuel have higher oil content. I’m not saying 16% is inherently bad, just may lead to more engine deposits but can’t say for sure, just a hypothesis. I would clean up that engine and run the 16% for awhile and see how it does. If you get significant deposits quickly then you will have your answer. It also depends upon what type oil is in the fuel. Some castor oils will tend to gum the engine up more quickly, synthetic oils typically less. Some fuel suppliers use a combination of both to try snd get the best of both worlds. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your comments.
It is Byrons Race Gen 2 fuel, which I believe does not use any castor oil.
its a blend of synthetic oils I think.
Also, its not fuel for heli or planes.

Attachments

• 0021413_byron-fuels-gen2-race-16-nitro-fuel-12-oil-lubricant.jpeg
    0021413_byron-fuels-gen2-race-16-nitro-fuel-12-oil-lubricant.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I wonder if this is because this truck hasn't been used in years, and its rust build up inside the engine.
I wouldn't think it is rust from sitting for two reasons. 1) I don't think any of the parts are iron, I'd think all aluminum and brass, I think. and 2) I'd think the tolerances are too tight and it would not have cycled if it were rusted.

I wouldn't think it is rust from sitting for two reasons. 1) I don't think any of the parts are iron, I'd think all aluminum and brass, I think. and 2) I'd think the tolerances are too tight and it would not have cycled if it were rusted.
On all the engines I have opened, that haven't seen much ARO for a long time, crankshaft always had rust on it.
Not sure about making it all the way up...though