Why do toy grades exist?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider WLToys to actually be hobby grade, albeit entry level hobby grade.
+1
WLToys are absolutely much, much higher in quality than anything you'll find in a Walmart stores.
People would say that well the quality of the components of a major brand is higher, but how often do we end up having to replace certain stock parts, from these big brands, because they crap out. Such as servos and shocks.
Like @WickedFog , I feel there are different levels to hobby grade, nowadays.

+1
WLToys are absolutely much, much higher in quality than anything you'll find in a Walmart stores.
People would say that well the quality of the components of a major brand is higher, but how often do we end up having to replace certain stock parts, from these big brands, because they crap out. Such as servos and shocks.
Like @WickedFog , I feel there are different levels to hobby grade, nowadays.
I know this will piss a few people off, but I have Tamiya's that are far less hobby grade than any WLToys stuff. Their plastics are on par with New Bright stuff. If you put a screw in and take it out, that hole is pretty much done. These TT02's I have are just shite RC cars. I have one brand new in the box. I don't even want to go through the hassle of putting it together. Self tapping screws in an RC car? Come on now!

I know this will piss a few people off, but I have Tamiya's that are far less hobby grade than any WLToys stuff. Their plastics are on par with New Bright stuff. If you put a screw in and take it out, that hole is pretty much done. These TT02's I have are just shite RC cars. I have one brand new in the box. I don't even want to go through the hassle of putting it together. Self tapping screws in an RC car? Come on now!
For me, Tamiya is more of a collectors brand, the RC cars they make look more like model cars.

For me, Tamiya is more of a collectors brand, the RC cars they make look more like model cars.
Yeah, their bodies are great. The best I have seen actually, except that nasty mold line that goes across the top of the hood and rear of the car. A tradeoff for getting all that detail into the front and rear of the car. I have seen this technique in other brands' bodies as well though which is funny because I thought I read somewhere that Tamiya patented that method of splitting the mold. Which is funny because it is a technique done all throughout the mold industries.

I consider WLToys to actually be hobby grade, albeit entry level hobby grade. I have a 12428B that I bought when it first came out. My kid was too young for real hobby grade stuff, but the New Bright stuff he had just wasn't keeping his interest (which was their top of the line stuff at the time).

As it turned out, the WLToys and Feiyue that I bought for him were both too fast, but he got used to them quickly, and still plays with them. The only thing I ever did to either of them was change the ESC, servo, and receiver in the WLToys just because I had an extra receiver lying around, and I switched to LiPo batteries. They have never failed after countless hours of slamming into curbs, jumps, etc. I even bought metal diffs because I heard they were weak. The diffs are still new in the packages. These two cars have actually been the most dependable RC's I have ever owned.

And as far as AA and AAA batteries - I have 6 year old Eneloop Pro's that I have in my FS-GT3B that are still going strong. I bet I haven't charged them more than 10 times. They last forever. Just buy some and try them. You will not be disappointed. I considered switching the Tx to use a LiPo, but these Eneloops are far easier to care for.
I dont have any problem with people who have already been in the hobby and know how to fix stuff buying them for whatever reason. I just dont like to see people who bought their first RC or someone recommending a first RC and its something like WLToys, Exceed, HSP, Redcat etc. Just my .02

seen no explosion . and no sound .. I did see battery vent and burst into flames. lets all walk away from a charging battery,.

I dont have any problem with people who have already been in the hobby and know how to fix stuff buying them for whatever reason. I just dont like to see people who bought their first RC or someone recommending a first RC and its something like WLToys, Exceed, HSP, Redcat etc. Just my .02
The only thing I see wrong with them as a first step into the hobby is maybe a lack of knowledgeable people to offer help. But as far as working on them they really aren't much harder than anything else. The roll cage on the WLToys is a pain to take off as it requires the removal of a dozen screws. They over-engineered the heck out of the mounting points for the cage. But after that they are setup just like any other solid axle rig.

To be honest though, the best first step into hobby grade stuff would actually be a kit build. You don't really know any RC until you have put it together, either from a kit or taking it apart and putting it back together.

Because companies can mass produce toy grade cars and stick them on a shelf for $49.95 at Walmart so mommy and daddy can spot them and say,
OMG little Johnny would love this for Xmas.

To be honest though, the best first step into hobby grade stuff would actually be a kit build. You don't really know any RC until you have put it together, either from a kit or taking it apart and putting it back together.
This is so true!
Because companies can mass produce toy grade cars and stick them on a shelf for $49.95 at Walmart so mommy and daddy can spot them and say,
This is also so true!

And thus begins little Johnny's passion for rc.
30 years later, Johnny is in his man cave assembling yet another rc kit, to add to his already vast collection of rc vehicles. And to think that this all started with that New Bright Dad picked up for him from Walmart. 😉

A lot of toy grade rc cars cost around $50 - $150, at that point, just buy a wltoys, or some other beginner hobby grade rc. Parts are commonly available for hobby grades while toy grades are garbage once broken. Also, most toy grades use non-rechargeable AA batteries. Hobby grade rc‘s use nimh or lipo which lasts longer, and is cheap, and rechargeable.

You're looking at it purely through the eyes of an enthusiast. People buying gifts not only give zero fecks about any of the tech babble, but more importantly aren't even aware of it. To them there's no difference between a 3S Traxxas ordered online and a licensed race car from the toy aisle. They don't know the difference between grades, they've never heard of a lipo - it's just a gift for a kid. And on that basis probably entirely fit for purpose.

still waiting on a lipo explosion.. Oh thats right its not going to happen..peeps with Zero knowledge of what a lipo can do when it fails..lipos will hiss then vent let the smoke out then have a small flame show,, they will never explode.seen many lipos fail 1st hand not a 1 exploded.. seen 1 go up in a guys rc while he was plugging in his charging cord he had a static electricity build up the sent a spark down his battery led the the 80 foot dash while smoke billowed out he got it outside b4 it sent the lovely flame thru the side of lipo..

Last edited:
still waiting on a lipo explosion.. Oh thats right its not going to happen..
Omg dude your unbelievable.. NO one ever said it would bring a F-ing house down..Or that it acted like Dynamite or c4..So F-ing sorry that I use explode.. because your to F-ing serious all the time and literall. So is this better for you.. they will "POP" and vent with some serious force.is that better and can start serious fires..we all know they won't literally explode.. but you are maken it seem like all that happens is this little F-ing hiss and white smoke.. you have got to be the most naive person in here. If not taken with care or knowledgeable info. They can cause some real damage and serious fires... just like the house on the block behind me. Was burnt to the ground and their pets killed because of a lipo battery.. that was in the garage a couple weeks ago. you want the article from the paper... and many others that this has happened too across the world..so you just keep listening for your hiss and sucking in that white smoke. JA. for a so called saftey instructor or inspector who cares .You should know better.... give it a break man go back to being miserable and ignorant and doing circles in your parking lots by your self nice a safe like...As it seems you have forgotten alot then you ever knew. Period..........
still waiting on a lipo explosion.. Oh thats right its not going to happen..peeps with Zero knowledge of what a lipo can do when it fails..lipos will hiss then vent let the smoke out then have a small flame show,, they will never explode.seen many lipos fail 1st hand not a 1 exploded.. seen 1 go up in a guys rc while he was plugging in his charging cord he had a static electricity build up the sent a spark down his battery leed the the 80 fppt dash while smoke billowed out he got it outside b4 it sent the lovely flame thru the side of lipo..
Here's the article of house behind me.. and for 💩 and 🤣🤣.. you ignorant D**K... read them cuase they say the fire officials said cause of battery explosion.. you should call the fire chief and Marshall and say they are wrong..... or the people in the article.....DI*K

"Family Loses Almost Everything In Fire | Jersey Shore Online" https://www.jerseyshoreonline.com/brick/family-loses-almost-everything-in-fire/

"Lithium-ion battery caused Loudoun Co. house fire, nearly $1M in damages | WTOP" https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2020/08/faulty-battery-causes-house-fire-in-loudoun-county/amp/

Last edited:
It’s like comparing cheap Wal-mart bicycles to top of the range $10-15,000 racing bikes. The lower end is trash, the lower-middle is good enough for most and the upper-middle and top range suits true enthusiasts and those racing at a high level where the machine is as important as the operators skill.

when you dont know the risks its your fault. storing a lipo in a HOT garage for anytime is a risks. herd a few people burn there rcs down along with car .going to ar ace on sat pre-charging lipo putting in trunk parked in a parking lot then up goes lipo. store lipos in a storage state in a cool dry container that wont catch fire.. enough with you attacking me .

Last edited:
when you dont know the risks its your fault. storing a lipo in a HOT garage for anytime is a risks. herd a few people burn there rcs down along with car .going to ar ace on sat pre-charging lipo putting in trunk parked in a parking lot then up goes lipo. store lipos in a storage state in a cool dry container that wont catch fire.. enough with you attacking me .
Once again you just point fingers.... Same too you ENOUGH. ..I'm not the person that talks down to people or makes fun of people or thinks people are stupid because of a ? They asked or the way the spelled something...and has/makes people leave the forum for they way they talk to people...or think that they are better then anyone else....... I'm just the one that doesn't stand for it so it's on you ... I won't be talked down too like a child. Because I will keep coming back everytime...you open your mouth towards me...... so ENOUGH OF YOUR 💩💩 WITH EVERYONE

Not trying to take sides but in all fairness this thread had gone dormant for awhile until you brought it back to life with your antagonizing comment "still waiting on a lipo explosion.. Oh thats right its not going to happen..peeps with Zero knowledge of what a lipo can do when it fails.." So you can't say Stoner is attacking you when you when you were the one poking him with a stick first.

Back