Whoops - Can you still use a shorted lipo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Was soldering a deans plug on a battery and it short circuited. Plugged my cell checker in and the cells are still fine. Would i still be able to use it in my car?

Plus it was a cheap deans plug I got from a adapter that I got on Amazon. Also I was trying to solder it and the gold plate bent and backed out of the actual case so I gotta get a new plug anyways.
PXL_20240505_195503073.MP.jpg

if it showed no sign of puffing should be OK to use...gotta love a noobs mistakes no heat shrink go for it

when soldering (if thats what you call the above melted Deans plug )
you cut wires then add heat shrink tubing tape the red wire end.
fit male with female plug put safety piece of tape on solder ends of male plug
start tinning things.
use a cloths pin to hold last wire your going to solder
use as little contact with all things its touch and go not stay there with solder tip on solder joints
when you solder your 1st wire slide heat shrink up on soldered area do it while its still warm.then heat shrink tube will shrink
do next wire do the same as I said above..

Last edited:
Hopefully you, and others, will learn from this.
Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN

I don't know if you do it already, or not, but I like to connect the other male/female end of the connector to the one you are soldering to help draw the heat away from plastic faster. Unless I'm doing low profile bullets or something, I have spare 5" wire male/female leads just for heat dissipating purposes while soldering.

I like to use shrink tubing being careful to work on only 1 side at a time, applying heat shrink before working on the other side to avoid shorting the circuit.

It should be obvious if the pack was damaged, though I have seen intentionally shorted packs left in a shorted state and it takes less than 30 seconds before the pack erupts into flames :(