Which fuel should I use with my OFNA .21 Hyper 8 Port engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgarner

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just recently finished breaking in my OFNA .21 Hyper 8 port engine (with 12 tanks of gas!) following all the tips I have read on the net, and the engine seems to work great.

However, I am in the process of testing different fuels that I can get in good ole Canada. The fuels are:

Sidewinder 20%, 12%
Bryons 20%, 12%
O'Donnells 20%, 12%

After running 5 laps on a small track, it seems that Bryons ran better than the Sidewinder. I didn't change any of the needles, and the temps were lower, and it seemed that the car had more pickup.

I tried the O'Donnells and I wasn't able to get the car to run for longer than 5 seconds. It would even die at idle. I tried running it rich, leaning it out, adjusting the low speed needle and even putting the engine at factory settings, but couldn't get it to run without dying. However, when I left the glow plug starter on the glow plug, it would idle and if I gave it lots of gas, it wouldn't die.

Does this mean that I need a hotter plug? Currently, I am using OS#8. Also, during the changes of fuel (I ran 2 tanks of each brand before switching), I didn't change the glow plug. Should I change the glow plug and try again? Any recommendations on another glow plug I should try?

Any help is appreciated. By the way, this is for my Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5.

Thanks,

Brian

Hmmm I have read the manual and many of skymaxx's posts concerning his hyper 21 and after my own expereince with the hyper 21 I would suggest getting a long glow plug. He ran the fox long glow plug and said it worked swell. I ran blue thunder20% and made the change from os#8 to the long glow plug and it worked awesome.

When I had my hyper I ran Bryons 20%, 12%, Amd a mcoy mc 59 plug and it ran well for me.

i run byrons 20% in all my mills ofna 8 port and my ws711 and runs great

Ofna recommends using a long plug for the Hyper .21 8-port. I use Fox Gold series long plugs. I also use the smurf juice at 20% (Blue Thunder). I have had no problems with the engine and it produces plenty of power.

That being said, you are going to be stuck with what is easily accessible in Ontario. From your own testing it would seem that the Byrons would be your fuel of choice. I would go with that.