Need help/advice with Jato that won't idle well.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daltonator777

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

My Traxxas Jato has given me a bit of trouble since I got it. I have been running nitro for about a year and this is the only one that gives me trouble.

The issue: When the Jato gets warmed up it will do one of two things eventually:
1. It will stall when letting off the throttle after doing higher speed runs.
2. If I let it sit and idle too long it will idle down and eventually stall.

Basically, it doesn't like to stay running unless I'm pressing the throttle. I can generally tell when it is about the cut off because it idles down and sounds like it will cut off soon. In addition, I don't think it sounds right when its running sometimes. It doesn't have a smooth running sound like my other RCs.

What I have tried:
1. Starting with a factory tune and working from there. With this I have varying success, sometimes a tune will seemingly make the problem go away. So far, no tuning adjustments have worked. The most success I have is setting the HSN, setting the LSN, and then making it idle higher. A higher idle tends to make it work better for longer, but not permanently. Its almost like it refuses to hold a tune. And by high idle I mean higher than what would generally feel/sound right.
2. Replacing the fuel lines. This actually made the problem less frequent I think.
3. Replacing the glow plug. I have replaced it twice with no noticeable effect.

Generally, I need advice for fixes to try and/or suggestion about what the problem might be.

*Edit: I broke in the engine according to the manual.
**Edit: I brought it to my LHS to let them fiddle with it. Should know more by Friday.

Last edited:
Might be a bit too rich on the low end, and if that doesn't fix it, you could also try increasing the idle.

Step 1. Throw the Traxxas carb in the trash.
Step 2. Replace with an OS or Losi carb.

Aside from that, like tudorwowlf said, you're probably a tad rich on the low end. Idle gap should be between .5 and 1 mm, start with that first, and go from there.

Might be a bit too rich on the low end, and if that doesn't fix it, you could also try increasing the idle.
I realize I may keep it too rich on the low end, but if I do not it will not start without setting the LSN higher. Any ideas about this?
Step 2. Replace with an OS or Losi carb.

Aside from that, like tudorwowlf said, you're probably a tad rich on the low end. Idle gap should be between .5 and 1 mm, start with that first, and go from there.
I may have to give that a shot. Is the Traxxas engine okay in general? I have no trouble with the 3.3 in my Slayer, but that could be simple luck.

Any ideas about this?

You could try priming it a bit more, so that it has some extra fuel to start.

Is the Traxxas engine okay in general?

It's controversial, some people swear by them, some swear they're useless... between the two, it seems some people gave up before they got theirs to run smoothly, others stuck with them long enough to make it work and were rewarded with a powerful engine. Like all things nitro, it comes down to user experience and patience. Consensus seems to be that the 3.3 is a bit more finicky than the 2.5 due to it straining its parts, but many people report success with ceramic bearings or an aftermarket carb. I myself shelled out for an OS 11K carb to put on my 3.3 which you can see in my profile pic, which ironically I haven't had the chance to run since upgrading it...

I may have to give that a shot. Is the Traxxas engine okay in general?

Traxxas engines are ok, outside of the carbs, and with the 3.3, the connecting rod. They can be modded to be pretty good engines. I've seen some drag modded 3.3's that can rip pretty darn good. There are however, a few alternatives that are better in terms of value.

Traxxas engines are ok, as long as broken in proper.
Traxxas carbs are rubbish, worst I have tinkered with, even HSP beats them hands down!

Rich on low end is most likely your prob.
With traxxas carb to get a good idle, you have to close the idle gap to absolute minimum (cannot be closed past certain point), then tune the idle with LSN its the only way I found to geta semi decent idle on Traxxas.

And yes, high idle on traxxas is normal, try what I suggested above.
Keep leaning the LSN until it idles ok.

Last edited:
Traxxas engines are ok, as long as broken in proper.
Traxxas carbs are rubbish, worst I have tinkered with, even HSP beats them hands down!

Rich on low end is most likely your prob.
With traxxas carb to get a good idle, you have to close the idle gap to absolute minimum (cannot be closed past certain point), then tune the idle with LSN its the only way I found to geta semi decent idle on Traxxas.

And yes, high idle on traxxas is normal, try what I suggested above.
Keep leaning the LSN until it idles ok.
I'll definitely give that try on my next run. That's specific enough for me to give that a go, which I appreciate. Thank you!