Which engine for RC10GT?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobuzzard

Useless NOOB!!
Reaction score
Neither here...nor there...but everywhere
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Recently picked up an RC10GT from @Bill, my new project.

Anyway, looking for a good engine to go in it but I'm not going to spend stupid amounts of money for it. I looked at the Dynamite Mach 2 and it's around what I'm looking to spend.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

-NB

I'm curious about those engines. They look great!

Last edited:
The OS18 CV-R was a good little engine. I have had that and the old 15 CV-R, both were good solid engines that lasted many gallons... well, not sure about the 18 as I only put a gallon or so through it before selling the vehicle it was in. It was basically just a larger .15 cv-r, which I did run many gallons through. Don't know that I'd spend $140 on the new 15 though. The dynamite mach engines are ok, but they don't hold their pinch as long. Run well and tune well though if treated properly.

I'd probably just snag a HPI 3.0 for $95.

After looking around, there just isn't crap for choices anymore is there? Sure hope nitro doesn't die out completely... Used to be able to find 5-6 .12-.18 engines from 4 or 5 companies without looking too hard.

The main issue I had with OS engines was the damn parts were so expensive. A one way bearing and starter shaft would cost you $50+. Hell, maybe just go with a traxxas 2.5R. At least there are tons of those on ebay and the parts are cheap. Granted, you will have to deal with the weird exhaust port and flywheel nut, but parts support and general info for those is all over the place. I still run a 2.5R in my jato and it's a pain to control. I still don't know how guys run a 3.3 in that thing.

Yea Olds I've had both as well back in the day. Several gallons through them both and never had an issue. Plus they weren't that expensive either so after 12 gallons of fuel I would just get a new one when needed.

I agree with them being hard to find. As you mentioned, you could go to either of the two main distributors and find a half dozen to pick from. I too hope nitro isn't dying off totally.

The HPI I'm not to sure will work with the way the engine mount for the GT is made in relation to the design of HPI engines crankcase.

Thought about the 2.5R but really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it. Nothing against TRX. They have good engines, just not what I want in the GT.

Thought about taking the Rossi Black Pixi out of the NTC3 but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it, that car screams with that engine lol

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to get the Dynamite, unless you replace the bearings. I had read about people having issues, but mine was fine....until last year. The bearings let go with no warning, they didn't have any play or any other issues and then they just blew up WOT in my Jato.

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I've decided to steal the Rossi from the NTC3. Or use the OS .12CV that's sitting out in the shop....lol Still undecided I suppose...

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I've decided to steal the Rossi from the NTC3. Or use the OS .12CV that's sitting out in the shop....lol Still undecided I suppose...
As long as you have decent compression in your OS .12, it will push your car with no problem. It doesn't take much to make these little lightweight cars scream.

I haven't checked it out yet. I've had a few of these back in the day, stock engine could be run very rich and still have great performance. We'll see where I go with it I guess once I get the rest of my parts in that I've ordered for it. Thx

Got it all together and run a few tanks through it. Engine performed better than expected so I'm pleased with that. Found nothing else that required replacement so that was good as well.

Now to find the time for a proper teardown, clean and rebuild.

Sweet...Yea ,a 15 is pretty much all you need on them ,they push-em along pretty good.
I'm glad your enjoying it!