Which 2 stroke oil for 1/5 scale

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior4Jesus

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
What is a decent oil i can get at Wal-Mart or a local parts store for a fifth scale?. I don't have access to klotz or royal purple. Or do i just need to order it online.

Last edited:
Check out any local hardware store that sells chainsaws or leaf blowers. Sears would also carry 2 stroke oil.
Just go with brand name and mix it according to the manual for your truck.

I use Stihl HP Ultra in the Octane and my yard stuff. Kinda PIA since The yard stuff is 50:1, the Octane is 25:1 and the 8ight-T is 14:1.

Oh thank God you guys weren't like you can only use Klotz.... Lol. I read some articles and i read that supposedly you have to have special oil for gas rc.

Before I used the HP Ultra I looked. It is used in ATVs, motorcycles, boats and commercial lawn and garden equipment. If an RC engine wont run on it then it probably sucks. Using it doubled the warranty on my chainsaw also.
I have a Stihl chainsaw, trimmer and blower. Solid stuff. At least now I do cause I got tired of all the stuff that wouldnt work.
When I bought the 8ight-T the guy at the LHS told me to trash the oil that comes with it and use the HP Ultra.

It aint cheap though. At 50:1 it's not too bad but at 14:1 it gets a little pricey.

Last edited:
Redcat rampage uses a 20 to 1 for first 4 hours then 30 to 1 for the next 4 hours. after that you can lean it out to prefrence they say.

I think it means that you lean it out till you feel comfortable you have the best power and not too lean. Heck I don't know.

I have never run an engine that had an oil/fuel mixture to preference. Good luck.

most hpi losi run on 25 to 28 to 1 from what I have read

I've got a fg modellsport and it runs 25/1 so seems.to.be about the same as most other models about..... and 25/1 doesn't work put too pricy......

I've got a fg modellsport and it runs 25/1 so seems.to.be about the same as most other models about..... and 25/1 doesn't work put too pricy......

I have had my own gardening service for over 20 years ,an I also service an build equipment ,
also I'm running 20 year old weedeater & leaf blower ,I don't do exact measures on oil & gas nor
do I run special 2 cycle oil ,I always tell by the color of the mix!

My stuff runs all day long every day of the week!...:D

I also run the Stihl at about 25:1 in my Baja 5b.

Stihl uses an odd oil. It seems to work very well in the equipment from them that I have. (also keeps them under warrantee! ;))

Been riding two smokes since I was 12. Golden spectro is the best stuff I've used, currently running it in our yamaha tri z 250 stroked to a 310. Also our yamaha banshee. No issues ever! If you looking for good oil believe it or not the super tech synthetic stuff is great. Pennzoil owns and makes all the super tech stuff now. When I had my 5b I always ran 32:1 ran awesome no issues period. I'm to currently getting back into 1/5 scale just aquired a redshat chimera, needing some work. Some nut sack epoxied a crap oil breather filter to inlet on carb filter housing. Hope to get it running in some way tommorow.

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_125626.jpg
    IMG_20170513_125626.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 279
Thays not a hack! That's just 'SUPER CUSTOM!!!" lol!!! Looks like a cool kit. Curious to know what the verdict is after you get it straight and put some hours on it.

Ask 10 people what oil they run and you'll get 9 different answers. Just don't buy the cheap box store crap, and you'll be fine. All the guys at the flying field swear by the Stihl Ultra HP by the way. I've ran it in planes, and ran Klotz in my Baja 5B. Never had any issues with either one. The Klotz smelled good too.

Ask 10 people what oil they run and you'll get 9 different answers. Just don't buy the cheap box store crap, and you'll be fine. All the guys at the flying field swear by the Stihl Ultra HP by the way. I've ran it in planes, and ran Klotz in my Baja 5B. Never had any issues with either one. The Klotz smelled good too.
Lol!!! Reminds me of the guys at the 1:1 drag strip running cherry scented methanol!!! Yeah, my eyes are on fire and the smell of rubber and fuel will be stuck on me for a week (i don't mind any of this, look forward to it in fact), but... Lets get real here!!! Cherry scented fuel?!?!?! Lmao!!!

Last edited:
Back