Where to find some spare wood to make some ramps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I only have 1 ramp right now. Want to try to make 2 other ramps. For cheap. Key word. Cheap. (Nothing is cheap anymore so forget about a budget)
Want to run the cars (10th scale cars) at the baseball diamond.
Looking for something to make like these
Sad that he got rid of them. Or trashed them.
20130922_163925.jpg

I only have 1 ramp right now. Want to try to make 2 other ramps. For cheap. Key word. Cheap. (Nothing is cheap anymore so forget about a budget)
Want to run the cars (10th scale cars) at the baseball diamond.
Looking for something to make like these
Sad that he got rid of them. Or trashed them.
View attachment 178792
Look on Craigslist in the free section, there is always pallets and stuff like that for free.
I usually grab some pallets and cut them up for camping firewood.

New home construction sites... around here, as they are framing, they make a pile of the scrap at the front corner of every lot, to be picked up/hauled away later in the process.

Just don't take anything from the un-cut pile. :hehe:

All of the above are great suggestions.

As a kid we didn't have the internet and saved every scrap we came across. Built a lot of forts and go karts from junk others threw out. Just saying. Some of the best bike jumps were made with a concrete block and a chunk of plywood.

I still save a 2' chunk of 2X4. Sometimes that's all you need.

you go to a construction site ask for whats called DROP. thats the wood carpenters cutoff section and leave the rest as trash. pallets are difficult to disassemble with the staples they use.

Menards usually has a damaged section near the plywood and lumber. It's usually on an endcap of the isle closest to the lumber counter. There is usually paneling, and other types of sheeting that has been damaged, and sells for cheap.

I'd try to find some 3/4" plywood for the sides, then use 1/4" lauan floor sheeting for the ramp, as it will bend easily to the contour of the ramp. Put one sheet down, then laminate a second sheet over it with glue and screws. Building a ramp with a curve is much better than a board on a block. You get far less chassis slap when you hit the ramp. And build it wider than you think you need 😉

Menards usually has a damaged section near the plywood and lumber. It's usually on an endcap of the isle closest to the lumber counter. There is usually paneling, and other types of sheeting that has been damaged, and sells for cheap.

I'd try to find some 3/4" plywood for the sides, then use 1/4" lauan floor sheeting for the ramp, as it will bend easily to the contour of the ramp. Put one sheet down, then laminate a second sheet over it with glue and screws. Building a ramp with a curve is much better than a board on a block. You get far less chassis slap when you hit the ramp. And build it wider than you think you need 😉
only thing I have to add is maybe shingles or something for traction. I used one in a warehouse and slid from dust.

only thing I have to add is maybe shingles or something for traction. I used one in a warehouse and slid from dust.
That's a good idea. Roll roofing would be even better. It comes in 3' wide rolls I believe.

Also, if you have an industrial park nearby, you can likely find some scrap plywood in their dumpsters. Large items sometimes come in plywood crates. Those usually get tossed in the dumpster.

That's a good idea. Roll roofing would be even better. It comes in 3' wide rolls I believe.

Also, if you have an industrial park nearby, you can likely find some scrap plywood in their dumpsters. Large items sometimes come in plywood crates. Those usually get tossed in the dumpster.
I have one of those said dumpsters. 🤪😝

You ever see a guy on YT named Mike the Scavenger? That dude runs into all kinds of cool stuff.
I have not. I'll check him put. After seeing what is put in them I'd need to wash my hands before I open the door and a shower and change before I hop in. 🫠🙃

All these roll off trash containers at old stores . are filled with goodies....I have many within 10 minute drive from my home now...
I worked for Best way recycling back in the day he would rent roll offs out. Then when he got the call its filled. He would send a man out to pick it up bring back to his location. and go thru i. he had 4 poll barns 90 feet by 300 feet full of racks and he would hire teens to come in label stuff and put in correct section also write down a log . what a racket that was.
from plastic 5 gallon barrels full of nuts n bolts . to super chargers . he had it all. Then put vague adds in trading times to sell the stuff

Dumpster Diving is a great fact to know. Great even if your a wacko (the one that got arrested back in the day when he was DD and 5- O came up on him

When I was stationed in Korea in the mid 80s, the USAF base sold their trash to the locals... dumpster diving wasn't allowed.

Down-town in the local shops, you would often get your take-home food in paper bags made from computer printouts (back when they used the wide sheets).

Warehouses with old pallets, my job has tons of these things lying around. We usually have to pay people to get rid of them.

Back