Where to find a Nitro RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxas

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find a good used RC car for under $250

Ebay, FB market place, local FB groups. RC swap meets got some good deals too if there is anything locally.

under $250

The old "pick 2 " dilemma - you can get a new, entry-level nitro for about that much, like an HSP onroad or monster truck. I've got one of each of their 1/10ths, and think they're perfectly serviceable bashers, but they'll need maintenance and parts sooner than other brands.

You can get a used nitro in poor condition for under $200, and spend another $200 restoring it. There's lots of restoration threads on this forum, some members have produced very nice cars out of what looked like junk. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone's first foray into nitro through, as it takes a bit of experience to know what needs to be fixed. There's also lots of crap listed way over value by delusional sellers, so having an eye for what's a good deal also requires experience with nitros.

I can sell you one maybe 1k lol

Don’t ask stupid questions and you buy pay what u get for ur money just like buying cheap tools in the end they will fail you.

found some really good deals at pawn shops..

Last edited:
I don’t have pawn shops out here but they tend to try rip you off in city I don’t trust them at all.

The old "pick 2 " dilemma - you can get a new, entry-level nitro for about that much, like an HSP onroad or monster truck. I've got one of each of their 1/10ths, and think they're perfectly serviceable bashers, but they'll need maintenance and parts sooner than other brands.

You can get a used nitro in poor condition for under $200, and spend another $200 restoring it. There's lots of restoration threads on this forum, some members have produced very nice cars out of what looked like junk. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone's first foray into nitro through, as it takes a bit of experience to know what needs to be fixed. There's also lots of crap listed way over value by delusional sellers, so having an eye for what's a good deal also requires experience with nitros.

Get an HSP Flying Fish, its one of my most used and best RC nitros.
It tunes idles and runs great.
Just add another approx $50 on top for some parts upgrades which are not that great from factory and thats it.

I can only seem to find that as an onroad model.
The onroad is HSP #94122, "Flying Fish"
The others are:

Short course truck: 94155 "Rally Monster"
Rally Car: 94177 "Kutiger "
Monster truck: 94188
Buggy - 94166 "Baja"

94102, 94108, etc, with a "0" instead of a 1 in the second to last digit, have c-link suspension instead of pillow ball, which is a bit looser, has fixed rear toe, and is less desirable overall.

Last edited:
The onroad is HSP #94122, "Flying Fish"
The others are:

Short course truck: 94155 "Rally Monster"
Rally Car: 94177 "Kutiger "
Monster truck: 94188
Buggy - 94166 "Baja"

94102, 94108, etc, with a "0" instead of a 1 in the second to last digit, have c-link suspension instead of pillow ball, which is a bit looser, has fixed rear toe, and is less desirable overall.

Oh basically the vehicles the Redcat and Exceed 1/10 4x4 models are rebrands of.

Oh basically the vehicles the Redcat and Exceed 1/10 4x4 models are rebrands of.

Precisely - you can get the parts a lot cheaper by going straight to to the "parent" model, and lots of those aren't carried by either sub-brand anymore, like the onroad and rally models, though they are sold as HSP models.

Back