Where are all the Losi 8IGHT RTR buggies?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrthgr8

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, all.

I've placed a backorder for a Losi 8IGHT RTR buggy via Tower Hobbies. Had to settle for a backorder since I couldn't find one online anywhere - I looked at Tower/Horizon, Nitro Hobbies, Amain, Hobbytown, and even Amazon and eBay. (There are some listings on eBay, but I'm not interested in paying *those* prices. LOL) I know there's been a general drop in availability with the likes of Tamiya and Kyosho, due to shipping/production delays, etc. but I guess I just assumed that a US-based manufacturer might not have some of those same issues (though everything's connected, I suppose).

I wrote to Losi to see if they might have any sort of product availability info or timeline they'd be willing to share, but it's been crickets. Which isn't terribly surprising. But does anyone know anything about this dearth of 8IGHT RTRs? Is a newer version pending or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

lately they have really been gaining in popularity, with good reason, but its also really impacting availability on the market, adding on with the stimulus checks coming in and people buying them up, coupled with Covid slowing production, i dont want to say there isnt going to be a newer version, really would be cool to see, but i am not really expecting it, thinking mostly the above factors. would love for Losi to prove me wrong and update though, but after talkign with people that own then, i really dont know what they could do better.

lately they have really been gaining in popularity, with good reason, but its also really impacting availability on the market, adding on with the stimulus checks coming in and people buying them up, coupled with Covid slowing production, i dont want to say there isnt going to be a newer version, really would be cool to see, but i am not really expecting it, thinking mostly the above factors. would love for Losi to prove me wrong and update though, but after talkign with people that own then, i really dont know what they could do better.

I guess my timing for jump into modern nitro world was less than ideal. :doh:

Oh well. Gives me plenty of time to stock up on all the needed tools, consumables, and other accessories.

I guess my timing for jump into modern nitro world was less than ideal. :doh:

Oh well. Gives me plenty of time to stock up on all the needed tools, consumables, and other accessories.
yeah, is unfortunate :( from everyone that i talk to that owns one, they are well worth the wait for them.
i have seen a few in my FB groups that are looking for them go the Kyosho inferno neo 3.0, and it seems right up there with the losi. but not as many hobby shops stock kyosho parts, and parts are slightly more expensive from what I've seen.
definitely post up pictures when you get your hands on one!

Since the pandemic started, RC cars and parts in general have been hard to come by. Factories in Asia are doing as well as they can, but the real tie up is with the importing. Seems like due to reduced staffing/social distancing protocols, it takes a whole lot longer to get the product down the supply line.

The world we live in, man. Hopefully you get your wheels sooner than later. The hobby has kept me from going completely insane through this pandemic.

I received an email from Tower this morning letting me know that my backorder for this Losi 8IGHT RTR buggy has been changed/cancelled because a new version is pending release (older version discontinued). The model I backordered was LOS04010 and the new version is LOS04010V2. The price of the new version is $70 (20%) higher than the previous version ($420 for the newer version vs. $350 for the old version.)

I looked at the specs, and it appears the only difference is the radio gear. The older model used the Spektrum DX2E 2-channel system, and the newer version comes with the Spektrum SLT 3-channel radio. The extra channel might be nice, but I looked on Spektrum's site and the SLT radio appears to have a lower MSRP than the DX2E (~$65 for the DX2E vs. ~$46 for the SLT.)

I suppose $420 is still a pretty good deal for what you're getting, but the $70 price hike was a little surprising. But now it does sorta make me want to review which buggy to get. I had also looked at the Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4 V2 Readyset, too. It's listed at $500 most places. Didn't consider it *too* much given the original difference in price, but for $80 more than the new Losi 8IGHT RTR buggy, is there now reason to really give more consideration to the Kyosho model? I would think Losi spares, replacement parts, and upgrades would be easier to get over time, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks!

I got into the sport only about 9 months ago, shortly before Horizon decided to discontinue the 4010. I bought the Truggy version and been very happy with it so far. Parts have been pretty easy to obtain through Amain (my go to source) as well as Horizon. I ended up, up grading all 3 of my diffs due to a crash (my fault) that bent my front dogbone and ended up destroying my center diff. I decided to upgrade all of them to the stronger TLR version. Going to test it this week.

As far as the price increase, I think it is mainly to take advantage of the hot market we are in for RC. I don't think the "changes" they are making to the vehicles warrant the price increase but that's just my opinion. I am happy I went with Losi. They seem pretty durable compared to what I read re: some other brands but to be fair this is the only brand I've owned.

I hope you can get your buggy soon. I see they should be out around June 14th but hopefully sooner. Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Looks like the new 8ight RTR is coming out sometime this month.

As for the price. Losi is selling their RTRs a lot cheaper now than they were about 5 or 6 years back. IIRC their RTRs were almost the same price as their kits.

As far as the price increase, I think it is mainly to take advantage of the hot market we are in for RC. I don't think the "changes" they are making to the vehicles warrant the price increase but that's just my opinion.

On that front, I really need to give props to Tower customer service. When they notified me that the backorder was being changed to account for the new model of buggy, their email stated "A replacement item with the same features and price is expected and we have taken the liberty of backordering the new item for you." (Emphasis mine.) When I asked them about that, they confirmed that even though the retail price had increased by $70 for the newer version, I would still only get charged the $350 from my initial backorder. I'm pretty sure they weren't legally required to honor that original price, but I think it's pretty cool of them to do so. Another reason why I've been a happy Tower customer for decades. :)

On that front, I really need to give props to Tower customer service. When they notified me that the backorder was being changed to account for the new model of buggy, their email stated "A replacement item with the same features and price is expected and we have taken the liberty of backordering the new item for you." (Emphasis mine.) When I asked them about that, they confirmed that even though the retail price had increased by $70 for the newer version, I would still only get charged the $350 from my initial backorder. I'm pretty sure they weren't legally required to honor that original price, but I think it's pretty cool of them to do so. Another reason why I've been a happy Tower customer for decades. :)
I am glad to hear they are taking care of you. Many general retailers these days would not do that. I will keep that in mind for future orders! Appreciate that info. :thumbs-up:

Great play by them. Additionally, they'll get that $70 from the replacement parts soon. :D

Idk why but I thought they had discontinued these?... Clearly I was wrong. I'm curious how does the newer Dynamite engine stack-up against the OG Losi 3.4?

Idk why but I thought they had discontinued these?... Clearly I was wrong. I'm curious how does the newer Dynamite engine stack-up against the OG Losi 3.4?
Never used the Losi .21 but I have used their .26 and their .28. Their .26 and .28 were both made by dynamite and I suspect from looking at the 3.4 it probably is as well. That being said the newer Dynamite engines seem to be very popular budget engines. Id suspect theres not a big difference but thats just speculation based off the fact that the 3.4 is probably a Dynamite made engine.

Look at what arrived yesterday! Still need to put the decals on the rear wing and go through the break-in process, but I'm stoked to finally be in the 1/8 scale nitro club. :)

20210711_135026.jpg

20210711_134956.jpg

Looks like the new 8ight RTR is coming out sometime this month.

As for the price. Losi is selling their RTRs a lot cheaper now than they were about 5 or 6 years back. IIRC their RTRs were almost the same price as their kits.
This link shows in stock.

Back