Wheelchair user advice appreciated.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm very interested in buying my first proper Rc car and would appreciate some advice and help. As the title indicates I use a wheelchair due to a rare neurological condition. This condition affects my legs & I have limited dexterity in my hands. Based on these factors I was wondering could you guys shortlist or recommend cars that may suit my needs.? I will try and outline what I'm searching for;;

Budget -£500-£600
I will be using the car / truck on short grass 90% of the time. I would like something which is quite durable and take a bashing, I'm unsure between petrol or electric however I assume electric would be easier to live with. I will usually have friends with me, so size and weight shouldn't be an issue. Finally I would like a model that doesn't wheely all the time and something my daughter age 10 could enjoy driving. I like the look of the arrma range, however as I'm only researching and trying to learn a bit I'm completely open to all suggestions. I really look forward to hearing from you in advance.....

Thanks Tony

Good evening,

I'm very interested in buying my first proper Rc car and would appreciate some advice and help. As the title indicates I use a wheelchair due to a rare neurological condition. This condition affects my legs & I have limited dexterity in my hands. Based on these factors I was wondering could you guys shortlist or recommend cars that may suit my needs.? I will try and outline what I'm searching for;;

Budget -£500-£600
I will be using the car / truck on short grass 90% of the time. I would like something which is quite durable and take a bashing, I'm unsure between petrol or electric however I assume electric would be easier to live with. I will usually have friends with me, so size and weight shouldn't be an issue. Finally I would like a model that doesn't wheely all the time and something my daughter age 10 could enjoy driving. I like the look of the arrma range, however as I'm only researching and trying to learn a bit I'm completely open to all suggestions. I really look forward to hearing from you in advance.....

Thanks Tony

Welcome to the RCT. Tony ,enjoy!.....:thumbs-up:

The Arma brand is being quite popular ,an in your situation ,would be better than a gas ,however ,I dont own one ,I had
heard nothing but good from them from some of the folks here!

I hope that you & your daughter enjoy the great hobby!....:cool:

Welcome. arrmaforum.com has a ton of guys there for that brand. I've had an outcast 6S for a year and it's one of the better trucks I've owned in the past 20 years. For you though, the Kraton would likely suit you better as it's a longer chassis and less prone to crazy wheelies (will still do them easily) than the outcast.

If you want to keep the budget lower, you could go with the 4s version. It's smaller, lighter, but still fairly durable and can run on 3S or 4S. 3S packs would slow it down some and make it more manageable.

The 6S Kraton can be run on 4S as well. When I started with my outcast, I ran it on 4S for 6 months, then started running 6S in it.

The 4S line is smaller 1/10th truck with a solid center driveshaft and lots of plastic parts (which in general helps it be durable). Plastic chassis, shocks, shock towers, steering parts, etc.

The 6S line are 1/8th scale with a center diff that can be tuned with oil to adjust the transfer of power to the front/rear tires. They have aluminum chassis, shocks, towers, steering parts, etc. Bigger, heavier, faster and more power.

There are other cheaper lines you can get into. I don't know many others than the ones in the US though (traxxas, HPI, Tekno, Arrma, ECX, etc). I have just seen them on youtube from guys like Kevin Talbot and Aussie RC Playground.

Thank you for the helpful replies. As I intend to use the model on short / medium grass I think the kraton ticks most of the boxes.

Just before I place an order, would you guys mind making me aware of both pros & cons of the kraton?

Thank you

Tony

Thank you for the helpful replies. As I intend to use the model on short / medium grass I think the kraton ticks most of the boxes.

Just before I place an order, would you guys mind making me aware of both pros & cons of the kraton?

Thank you

Tony
Kraton V4 6S
Pros:
Go anywhere basher
Tires are great once vented. easily mounts 6"curbs and plows through high grass
Motor and esc are sized right and I have not had overheating issues...not even here in TX. Have 12T pinion and stock wheels running 6S batts
Tons of upgarde options available but arguably not needed depending on your bash style
Parts are easily available form online suppliers and kit breakers (at least here in the USA)
Good handling for it's size and weight
V4 sliding motor mount

Cons:
V4 servo saver
V4 Radio

I had a close friend who was confined to a wheel chair and we enjoyed r/c racing together. One issue is that when you choose an r/c vehicle are you going to be able to retrieve it yourself when it flips over. If you're always with someone else then it's no problem or at a race it's not a problem. If you're by yourself practicing it becomes an issue. If you're out bashing then it may happen a lot.

We got a few rcs.
My kids are now 14 -16 & have always picked a 4x4 slash, over talion, Kraton, rustler or xmaxx. I can put a 2s, 3s, or 4s battery In depending how fast I/we want it. Electric is much cleaner and easier. All rcs need upgrades and repairs. But slash being a bit smaller is cheaper on parts and is less likely to break in a smash. They have all been upgraded to be equal fun and fast!
Just my 2c.?

Welcome to the club.?. How about an rc monster truck that doesn’t tip over easily on turns so you don’t have to go turn it over back on its wheels or a car such as Traxxas vehicles that where you hold down a button and the car will rock its self back on all four wheels most of the time successfully. Whit that in mind I’ll go with Traxxas 4X4 VXL Rustler or Xmaxx that can rock its self upright or the Arrma KrAton that rearly tips over and can conquer most terrain. My advice would be the Rustler because it’s very durable, good in short grass, good price, parts availability is good, and it is fast and fun.

Let us know what you decide. One word of advice. Beware this hobby is a lot of fun but it can be an addictive money pit.

Back