wheel mounting advice.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raaazzzeee

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i mounted my buggy wheels backwards for a wider track which I'm hoping will produce better handiling + stability any thoughts on this. is it bad to do because it seems like alot of people dont do it but it seemed like a good idea to me?

When you say backwards, are you saying you mounted the fronts on the rear and vice versa or that you mounted the tread patterns backwards?

Typically, buggy tires are the same size all around, so mounting them with the tread patterns backwards will most likely cause poor handling all around.

no the inside of the rim is on the outside and vice versa

Then how does it sit on the hex axle? Have you tried running it?

I'd think the design of the rim would cause a high stress point where the rim is screwed onto the axle since you flipped it around which may cause the rim to crack upon landing a jump or something.

IMHO, I would put them back and, if you are looking for a wider stance, look into getting some longer arms or find a set of off-set rims that will accomplish what you are trying to do.

yeah I've seen it done before there are some pics on here of peoples buggys with the same thing done

heres one

1503000_1179.jpg

heres the link to tha pic

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3110

Last edited:
here are sum pics if wut mine looks like

Attachments

• SPA0124.jpg
    SPA0124.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 65
  • SPA0123.jpg
    SPA0123.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 63
The rig you showed from this site is set up as a sand rail; note the paddle style wheels. This is not a track racer or jumping set up. The concerns mentioned about cracking the rims on a hard landing or cartwheel wipe out would certainly merit serious thought on my part about doing something like this. If you can afford the carnage that might result from a poor landing or wipe out, then give it a go. Otherwise look into finding an offset rim, or some kind of spacer to give you the desired offset and wider stance.

i wusnt planning on jumping or even driving with the setup. i just showed the pic of the other one to show that I'm not a complete idoit i got the idea form somwhere.

No one said you were a complete idiot. They simply questioned the logic behind your choice and question. Some reacted with incredulity and others with logical responses to your question.

If you think you are a complete idiot, that is an issue we can not resolve...but no one said you were or implied it...they simply could not believe that you would do such a thing, when there is little to no real reason for such an idea. Sand rails are rare and not often discussed on this forum. That is why there is only one picture in the thousands.

It is your RC, do with it as you see fit, but realize that you open yourself up to assistance and criticism when you make a post on an open forum...that's the nature of the forum. Welcome to RCNT. :D

I have to question the usability of doing that. You've inverted your wheels. So now the hex in on the outside. And the wheel nut is now sitting in the hex. But what is keeping the wheel locked to the axle? The purpose of the hex on the inside is to lock into the hex on the hub to insure the wheel rotates with the axle. Perhaps there's enough friction, but there's no guarantee you won't spin the wheel of during regular use.

If you want to widen the buggy out why don't you look into some extension hubs. Dace manufacturing makes them for several different buggies and truggies.

I never meant it like that, (If ya were refering to me) I just never heard of it before. I didnt relize it was so easy to do and that the rim seemed to have a hex style on the outside as well. Looks kinda cool, but Id think thatd be a little to much preassure on the hubs and such.

I have to question the usability of doing that. You've inverted your wheels. So now the hex in on the outside. And the wheel nut is now sitting in the hex. But what is keeping the wheel locked to the axle? The purpose of the hex on the inside is to lock into the hex on the hub to insure the wheel rotates with the axle. Perhaps there's enough friction, but there's no guarantee you won't spin the wheel of during regular use.

Well they could have cut their own hex's on the other side, it would not take that much work.:dumb:

Or even better just get a lathe, a block of plastic or alloy and make your own rims :yes:

Tom

ok i just couldnt tell what you ment by that. well i agree with you guys on the stress part but I'm still gunna test drive it on tha street as soon as i get sum fuel and a idel screw. i will post results.

ok i just couldnt tell what you ment by that. well i agree with you guys on the stress part but I'm still gunna test drive it on tha street as soon as i get sum fuel and a idel screw. i will post results.

If the hex adaptor has nothing to bite into, you may find that your rim is damaged. I would recommend a different route. As mentioned and recommended, hub extenders or an offset rim will be better than your set up.

I'm still gunna test drive it on tha street as soon as i get sum fuel and a idel screw. i will post results.

I thought you said you had no intentions of driving it like that.

i didnt but a showt STRAUT pass down the road shouldnt hurt and will help me determine if i want to widen my track and i know what you guys where thinking i put the nut int the wheel and used the wheel as the wrench and help the hun with a wrench. what i ment by i didnt no wut u ment by that i was talking to 4u2nv because i thought he was just trying to be mean not just wondering.

i didnt but a showt STRAUT pass down the road shouldnt hurt and will help me determine if i want to widen my track and i know what you guys where thinking i put the nut int the wheel and used the wheel as the wrench and help the hun with a wrench. what i ment by i didnt no wut u ment by that i was talking to 4u2nv because i thought he was just trying to be mean not just wondering.

I am totally confused. Can you re-explain that again? Your I'm text and spelling is really throwing me off. Please try again.

Back