What's Your Next RC(s)?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am seriously considering the Traxxas TRX4 with Orange 1970 Blazer body
I just watched a vid on the TRX4 vs the SCX10. I like the TRX4, great looking truck. But I'd take either of them tbh.

I have a 1/5 scale Armma Kraton 8S. I got it from Tower Hobbies for about $899. For my next RC I am considering an 1/7 scale Armma Infraction or 1/7 scale Armma Felony. I have also looked at the Losi 1/5 scale DBXL-E 2.0 4WD Desert Buggy, the Losi 1/5 scale K&N DBXL 4WD buggy gas RTR (a nice choice to add a gas powered car), or a Losi LMT 4WD Solid Axle Monster Truck RTR.

Right now my most desired choice is a Armma 1/7 Scale Infraction or Felony. (I have a buggy, the 1/5 scale Armma Kraton 8S, I would love to have a street only vehicle).

other choices include: an Armma 1/8 Scale Notorious 6S V5 4WD BLX Stunt Truck (it would be nice to have something fast in a smaller scale than 1/5 scale.)

Tom Sisson​

I would honestly pass on the LMT, unless you really want a scale monster truck that handles like crap but looks cool.

Glad I found this thread. Maybe I can get some good input!

I'm not super thrilled with the LMT. So I'm on to the next one 🤣. I also recently purchased a outcast 6s exb rtr. Which is an absolute blast to drive. When it's 100%... Center diff is leaking after 2.5 runs.

So I'm back to this crawler kick. It's a tough toss up between the scx10 gladiator and the Trx4 2021 bronco. Then I saw the release of the SCX6! That thing is beastly. I think a crawler would be great, especially since it's something I can mess with around the house when we have bad weather. But I kind of what a Mojave too. A buddy of mine really wants me to go racing with him but they don't allow Xmaxx or 8s rigs in general and the outcast doesn't seem well suited either. He really thinks a UDR or super baja ray is the move, but it seems the Mojave outperforms them both for less money.

Quick edit, I'm dead set on getting a kyosho mad van too, unless there's something better that's similar. I love the old econoline styling. Super cool looking.
https://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-faz...t-monster-truck-kyo34491t1/p-tuachzkagczcseue

Quick edit, I'm dead set on getting a kyosho mad van too, unless there's something better that's similar. I love the old econoline styling. Super cool looking
Yeah man that's a cool looking body. I would have to repaint it. To look like the A-team van all black with the red strip. And the old wing on top...👍👍👍 its big over seas Kevin Talbott and them all have em.. the lady Clair has a build video on her channel with her husband.. here watch their video. It's not the greatest has some issues...fast foward past the starting crap

Yeah man that's a cool looking body. I would have to repaint it. To look like the A-team van all black with the red strip. And the old wing on top...👍👍👍 its big over seas Kevin Talbott and them all have em.. the lady Clair has a build video on her channel with her husband.. here watch their video. It's not the greatest has some issues...fast foward past the starting crap

I guess I missed their video but I saw a few were they seemed really durable and some showed a number of flaws. But for a sub $300 rtr your expectations can't be too high. The A-team theme would be perfect too!

My next RC is complicated.
I want a Vanquish phenix but I’m not a big fan of portals. I do like the plastic portals on the Phenix. I think I’ll hold off and wait to see if they come out with a straight axle version. Or I might buy the phenix and put in a set of metal F9 axles and use the plastic portals on an LCG rig. Waiting is easy since I spent all my money on a class 2 rig. Haha.

I want a Vanquish phenix but I’m not a big fan of portals. I do like the plastic portals on the Phenix. I think I’ll hold off and wait to see if they come out with a straight axle version. Or I might buy the phenix and put in a set of metal F9 axles and use the plastic portals on an LCG rig. Waiting is easy since I spent all my money on a class 2 rig. Haha.
The vanquish portals are elegant compared to the bulky trx4. Maybe they’ll come out with another vs4-10 Phoenix with a different body and straight axles.
I’m hoping Santa Clause brings me the Phoenix and maybe I’ll get some electrics for my birthday...

I guess I missed their video but I saw a few were they seemed really durable and some showed a number of flaws. But for a sub $300 rtr your expectations can't be too high. The A-team theme would be perfect too!
tips. Sub 300 it's not that sub 300. That's with out taxes. And the upgrades that will be needed.. you talking closer to 350 400.. but a
A-team paint job would be all worth it...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...Q4wcsCjVPEP2qUVQXqRiASlVFiegtE_caAkg0EALw_wcB

https://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-faz...m-SQfEZQq4SF5YvOEC2YfGcNz6wTh14AaAjtUEALw_wcB

https://www.liquidrc.com/item/KYO34...sWr3zoIDKny48cU86NJTXaM17-xHb0cQaAmJ0EALw_wcB
Why don't you like the portals? Out of curiosity. They add clearance to the axles.. on a 1.1 solid axles are king. But on rc you loose ground clearance.. plus the portals from Treal are unmatched with machinery and quality... they make some beautiful 7075 aluminum CNC parts...
The vanquish portals are elegant compared to the bulky trx4. Maybe they’ll come out with another vs4-10 Phoenix with a different body and straight axles.
I’m hoping Santa Clause brings me the Phoenix and maybe I’ll get some electrics for my birthday...
You need to see if Treal makes the portals you need or want. Quality is unmatched 7075 aluminum beautiful parts by far...👍👍

Last edited:
tips. Sub 300 it's not that sub 300. That's with out taxes. And the upgrades that will be needed.. you talking closer to 350 400.. but a

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...Q4wcsCjVPEP2qUVQXqRiASlVFiegtE_caAkg0EALw_wcB

https://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-faz...m-SQfEZQq4SF5YvOEC2YfGcNz6wTh14AaAjtUEALw_wcB

Still cheaper than what I've spent fixing my xmaxx 😂😂.

Speaking of fixing stuff. The center diff on my outcast was leaking. So I took it apart, cleaned it up. Filled it mostly 100k and a dash of 20mil. I have 500k and 1mil on the way. I guess the wheel hubs didn't like that. Completely stripped the inside of one wheel and partially another. So m2c upgrades on the way.

20211029_152448.jpg

Screenshot_20211029-214858_Chrome.jpg

I have toyed around with the idea of getting a mad van also but the thing that stops me from pulling the trigger is that this kit has a couple of glaring flaws to me. It seems to have plastic diff cups, plastic drive cups, and plastic driveshaft cups. How you gonna make all of those driveline pieces out of plastic? First thing id have to do if I bought it is replace all those pieces with after market metal ones. so a $300 kit gonna jump up straight away to at least $400. IDK I mean not that I wouldnt do it but I feel like that shouldnt have to be done. Makes me wonder what else they went super cheap on.

https://www.liquidrc.com/item/KYO34...sWr3zoIDKny48cU86NJTXaM17-xHb0cQaAmJ0EALw_wcB

Why don't you like the portals? Out of curiosity. They add clearance to the axles.. on a 1.1 solid axles are king. But on rc you loose ground clearance.. plus the portals from Treal are unmatched with machinery and quality... they make some beautiful 7075 aluminum CNC parts...

You need to see if Treal makes the portals you need or want. Quality is unmatched 7075 aluminum beautiful parts by far...👍👍
I don’t like the higher center of gravity or the gear reduction. But I now have three rigs with portals including a LCG 6x6 and they are growing on me. I am definitely looking at Treal axles.

I have toyed around with the idea of getting a mad van also but the thing that stops me from pulling the trigger is that this kit has a couple of glaring flaws to me. It seems to have plastic diff cups, plastic drive cups, and plastic driveshaft cups. How you gonna make all of those driveline pieces out of plastic? First thing id have to do if I bought it is replace all those pieces with after market metal ones. so a $300 kit gonna jump up straight away to at least $400. IDK I mean not that I wouldnt do it but I feel like that shouldnt have to be done. Makes me wonder what else they went super cheap on.
I don't know many kits that come with metal diff housings, especially 3s and under. Even the Kraton 6s has composite diff housings. It's not really a big deal that the housing is metal anyway, as long as the gears are decent, and the mad van has a pretty stout ring and bevel in the diff. As for plastic cups, I am not seeing anything showing the drive cups are plastic. The one video I found showing the diff, the drive cup had the edge kinda exposed, looking like shiny metal. Where did you see they are plastic so I can look into this? I have been thinking about these as well.

I don’t like the higher center of gravity or the gear reduction. But I now have three rigs with portals including a LCG 6x6 and they are growing on me. I am definitely looking at Treal axles.
I was talking portals not the RC kit.. But yes agree the TRX-4 needs better body options. I'm going to get the build kit.. and get a lexan body and the LCG pkates.. I'm not a fan of the big scale bodies for the kit anyway. I will probably get a chevy K5 blazer body since my dad had a red and white one when I was a kid. For a tribute to him. I got to try and find a blue light bar also for the roof. He's a retired Fireman so he had the light bar on roof loved that truck as a kid.....Treal hobby puts out some really nice and very good quality parts IMHO. Alot of good reviews as well. Guys in here will back that up also. They make alot if parts for alot of different RC kits.. along with the Xmaxx. Which was very surprising. Here you go check them out. They ate a little expensive but the material and the machinery is well worth it...👍👍

I wouldn't really be beating on it like the xmaxx or outcast. Just something to fiddle with occasionally.

So what is at the top of your list?

Hi there, been a while...

Well a basic Slash 2WD for me and for my daughter/son for local races. I have already a heavy mod 2WD Slash but the new local rules only accept a Slash out of the box or the Slash Kit. Only Traxxas+tire wheels. No drop, keep de 3,5 inches clearance and the 16 pinion/550 motor/TQ trans.. But at the end, races are pretty cool...

I am still really suprised by the smoothness of this basic Slash.

IMG_37d91.jpg

IMG_3dd797.jpg

IMG_3807.JPG

Keep going...

Hi there, been a while...

Well a basic Slash 2WD for me and for my daughter/son for local races. I have already a heavy mod 2WD Slash but the new local rules only accept a Slash out of the box or the Slash Kit. Only Traxxas+tire wheels. No drop, keep de 3,5 inches clearance and the 16 pinion/550 motor/TQ trans.. But at the end, races are pretty cool...

I am still really suprised by the smoothness of this basic Slash.

View attachment 135761

View attachment 135762
View attachment 135763

Keep going...

Is this the most common truck for racing?

Is this the most common truck for racing?

For the actual local rules, yes. They changed the rules because the SCT alu 4x4 heavy chassis where damaging too much the clay track. So they "drop" to a basic Slash 2WD plastic chassis only for all SCT races and pratices. So, for example, you can't bring a Senton plastic chassis.

This track in mainly for buggys 1/10 full mods. They accept also 1/10 Truggy and Stadium truck. But 80% of the guys are running 1/10 buggys... They will put a spinkler system later this november (like big US tracks).

IMG_3462.JPG

Otherwise, for your question, most of the guys are running TLR 3,0 SCT trucks for SCT racing. Techno SCT and EA SC10 are popular too.
Nice that your willing to pick up a stock one, so you guys can race. :)

Yeap... And I am learning the Traxxas transmission... My goodness... Did not think the set up was like that... :) But that's ok... The system seems to be pretty tough and reliable.

IMG_3819.JPG

There's a SCT race next saturday (november 6). Hurry to participate.

Last edited:
Back