whats wrong

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlaw3.3

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a Tmaxx .15 that I put the TRX 3.3 engine in and I have went through 3 spur gears what am I doing wrong and what can I do to solve the problem. my truck is also moving quit fast with out applying any throttle at all

Sounds like your clutch is sticking. Check the shoes, and the bearings in the CB. HTH

2 things you need to check. Idle speed and clutch. One of those 2 is responsible for it moving on its' own.

For the spur gear problem, I would say you haven't set the mesh properly. Put a sliver of paper between the spur and the CB pinion, press the 2 gears together firmly as you tighten down the engine. Take out the paper, and you should have a perfect mesh.

thank you I will check these things out

should I get a steel spur gear

No, I don't recommend it. If you use a steel spur, something in the trans becomes the 'weakest link". Spurs are cheap and easy to replace.

if your truck will not idle without moving forward, then you are probably holding the brakes to keep it still. if its trying to move the clutch in engaged which means the bell is heating up as you hold it there with the brakes. the hot bell then melts the plastic spur quickly causing it to strip. fixing your idle problem should fix the spur problem, although you will still occasionaly strip spurs since that is there function as a weak spot in the drive train.

you should have an idle adjustment screw on the carb, if you hit the brakes and the idle doesn't drop then the screw is out to far, if you hit the brakes and it dies, the linkage isnt centered.

pull off the filter (with the truck off) and look down in the throat of the carb. you should see about a 1mm gap with the carb closed. (thickness of a credit card) if you went from a .15 to a 3.3 you went from a roto carb to a slide carb right?

tra5252.jpg

you can just see the idle screw under the fuel nipple on the high speed needle housing

Last edited:
Beason, now correct me if I'm wrong, but if it dies when he aplies the breaks it might be that he set the idle with the throttle trim, that would make it shut the carb when the brakes are hit.

s the bell is heating up as you hold it there with the brakes. the hot bell then melts the plastic spur quickly

Absolutely correct. Also correct, flandersander.

You need to adjust your mechanical idle setting while holding the trigger to 'Brake', with the throttle trim on the radio turned down to zero.

thank you

I just took my clutch bell, shoes and fly wheel all look to be a little rough so I am going to purchase new ones thanks for all the help you guys are awesome!

I also just noticed that my throttle servo had soe broken teeth inside of hit so I bought a new one of those as well

I'm going through kinda the same thing look into integy or a different brand you can get aluminum clutch shoes.i just replaced my clutch shoes and its doing it agin with the traxxas brand