whats next

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have 2 tmaxx 2.5. There alot of fun. But not meant for bashing. I'm looking for a 4x4
That can handle me. Any ideas. I'm looking for fast powerful and very durable out of box.

Well out of the box the Savage XL is very durable, but... and this is a very big BUT.. the stock motor SUCKS. Take it out sell it on ebay for about 150, then buy a real motor. the LRP .30 or .32 give you the most power for your $$$, they can be had for a bit less than $200. The Savage X is also nice, but not as duable as the xl. the 4.6 in the X works just fine though. (but it wont blow u away or anything.) the LOSI XXL is right up there in durability with the savages, but its older tech, and its a bit heavier. IMO its easier to work on.

The XL is the ultimate basher in my mind and I have had no issues with the stock engine. If you seal it up and run 30% fuel with a good medium plug it runs like a champ. It doesn't have insane power and it uses a little more fuel than I would like but I am going on roughly 4 gallons on it now and have not had any problems with it.

i only have traxxas trucks. but i think my friends are right.

Thanks for your feedback. Thats the route i was thinking. I heard that xl is very durable. But
If you dont modify or change motors it can be costly. Thanks for input on motor ideas.
Will these motors mount easily or do i need kits.

What engine is it that comes stock in the xl that everyone says is crap? Is it the F3.5 or the F4.6?

The K5.9 That said I have a Maxx that is my go to basher and its quite durable. If you build anything the right way you can make it virtually indestructable. Not to bash the Savage as the X is probably the best MT ever made. Just out the box there isnt anything that wont need upgrades to be indestructable.

I know i can't believe everything i read. I just want to make the right choice. If any. I understand stuff
Breaks thats part of owning a nitro mt. Just looking for a little input. I want a truck that when i fire it up and pull the trigger people know i have something bad@ss. Mabye I'm getting board with the
2.5r. Thanks again.

Well if you just want an inexpensive replacement engine for the tmaxx that is alot more powerful than the 2.5R there are two choices. A 3.3 off ebay for $90 or a dynamite .19t for $109. If you really want to wake it up then get a big block mount and spend $189 on a picco .26 max with the tmaxx backplate which is what I've stuck in my maxx. And its impressive! Much more powerful than the 3.3 and the .19T which I've ran both in the same rig before i went picco. If you just want to start all over with a new rig then i say go with the savage xl and when the engine goes out drop a lpr spec in its place.

Savage X or XL. The X is 2 speed and the 4.6 is a decent stock engine but as stated earlier not mind blowing. The XL is a 3 speed comes with a hump pack aluminum clutches both have the bullet proof diffs I think. I know the XL does for sure but not certain about the X. The K5.9 on the XL is hit and miss some people have good luck with it some don't. I have had both trucks and bothe are extremely tough as bashers. I prefer the XL because it's longer and wider than the X4.6. I run an LRP .32 and I can tell you it's one monster of a mill for the money. The LRP .30 is pretty raunchy as well both engines are easy to tune and hold a tune extremely well. I know i have a blast with my XL and I don't treat it with kid gloves either it holds up to some serious abuse and with the exception of some aluminum rear hub carriers and the LRP engine it's pretty much box stock.

I have all the monster trucks most durable basher is mgt 8.0 it does not handle as well as the losi xxl or the savage but will not break as easy either

Play chicken with the mgt the savage will break the savage is a better handling truck but by no means as tough as the mgt 8.0 read what Rc car action had to say if u think I am full of it I have the savage xl and ss I love my savage ss it is my fav but is not as tough as the mgt just being honest

What play chicken? what the hell would i want to do that for? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard of and is by no means a test of a trucks toughness or durability or is it good advice to be handing out. How bout you take your MGT and play chicken with a brick wall if you like doing retarded things with your Rcs. Chicken really?

Last edited:
Having the MGT 4.6 (Same as the 8.0 just a smaller motor) I will say that it takes a pretty good beating but own the weakest diffs out of any truck I've ever had. A great basher on any day of the week - providing you always play with at least 1 diff at your disposal and a 1/2 hour to install it. Chicken with RC's is only going to prove that your just a "special" person who either is loaded with cash or doesn't really have a clue what they are doin. Most people are the latter of the 2.

The MGT is way to heavy for my taste. I have never owned one but when trying to decide between the XL and MGT I looked at both and the MGT just seemes way to heavy and clunky.

Thanks for your feedback. Thats the route i was thinking. I heard that xl is very durable. But
If you dont modify or change motors it can be costly. Thanks for input on motor ideas.
Will these motors mount easily or do i need kits.

Most big blocks are direct drop ins. I have the .30 in an XL I love it.. If you can't afford the lrps look at the SH .28 8port, It is the same as the Lrp .28, which are decent as well here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SH-LRP-28-RotorStart-Monster-Truck-8-ports-Engine-Savage-Truggy-1-8-/150922519852?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item2323aee52c

you can also get one modded by ercm. you can have a modded sh.28 for around $220 I think.

Ill need a bigger rig for that. Thats a lot of power 4 horse. Nice!! So many optoins. Whatever
I end up doing i wont be playing chicken...