whats better mbx5 or mp 7.5 dont know what to buy help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben17

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm moving up in the world from 1/10 scale buggy racing to 1/8 rallycross, but i dont know which car to buy. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 cars at the moment, either the mbx5 or the mp 7.5 but i can't choose between the 2, they both look gr8 but 1 must be better than the other. Wouldnt mind some advice!

They are both great buggies, biggest thing is what does you hobby shop carry the most of (ie. spares ect). I own a mbx5 and very happy with it, and I'm sure i would be with a 7.5. The reason i didnt get one, they are about 200 bucks more then the mbx5 (k2 version) and the hobby shops around here dont carry much of kyosho (nor mugen either). Aftermarket wise the kyosho wins hands down, since its been out for awhile, and the mbx5 is fairly new but parts are starting to roll out in masses.

well the hobby shop stocks both, I'm also looking at which will need least doing to it brfore i can get it out on the track. Cheers!

well mbx5 is ready to race outa the box - some assy required lol(just double that akemen arm up - tend to bend easy). Other than setting the car up for the track , you will be ready to race ..

i know Çh®i§tiªñ owns a 7.5, but dont know if he races or bashes with it, but imsure he can give the pos/negs of that car

Last edited:
Cheers for the input. Bit worried about the carbon fiber upper deck tho being as strong as the kyosho's, then again i dont know if it needs to be?

Oh Çh®i§tiªñ bashes his buggy. :) I watched it first hand at the East Coast bash and it took some serious abuse. If you poke around in the gallery you can find some pictures. You can also watch the movie from the East Coast bash.

how do you rate the engine and pipe that comes with the mbx5

Originally posted by ben17

as far as i am aware - the mbx5 does NOT come with a pipe or engine

also - here is a great site explaining in insane detail the mbx5 and the kanai. good, unbiased advice

http://www.twf8.ws/new/home.htm

here is another site specializing in rally cross in the UK.

http://www.three5models.co.uk/

Originally posted by ben17

neither the 7.5k2 nor mbx5 comes with engine or pipe - and last time i checked the k2 dont even come with tires

the 7.5 sport rtr does include motor/pipe - which isnt really in the same league (sorry fellas - plastic spur gear - blah) as the 7.5/k2 and mbx5

Last edited:
Both of these cars have been discussed on this board quite often. The MBX5 and Kanai 2 are in their own league, and both are excellent buggies. You will pay more for the K2 (about $150) and then you will have to buy some tires. Both are loaded with go-fast-goodies and are considered the best 2 buggies you can buy if you want to race.

The Kyosho comes in several different versions, and you get what you pay for.

Neither the K2 or X5 come with engine, pipe, servos, or radio.

Personally, I'm partial to the X5, but you won't go wrong with either one. Don't worry about the carbon fiber on the X5. It is pretty tough and I've yet to hear of anyone breaking any of it.

is the kanai 2 a much better buggy than the standard 7.5 and is the standard 7.5 in the same league as the mbx5. lot of money you see lol

The Kanai has all the hopups we all drool over already included. If you bought a 7.5 you can upgrade it to the Kanai. All you need is deep pockets because it will cost you more in the long run to do it that way.

The Kanai and MBX5 are on par with each other...any other flavor of the 7.5 is not as good. I dont recommend the "Sports" to anyone other than those who just "have to have an Inferno" and dont have the bank account or the A+ credit rating to get a mortgage for a real one....myself included.

I have not owned either, but I have drooled. I think Mugen offers the same competitive package for a couple hundred less. But take that as pure speculation as I don't own either.

Back