What's a good Crawler to start with?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazymatt

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking for a good RC Rock Crawler to start with. I've had a nitro HPI Savage truck which I ended up selling to get parts for my Jeep. The high speed and tinkering with the fuel wasn't for me. I would like to get into an electric crawler. What's a good brand to look into? Also my 9 year old godson is way into them, what's a good one to get him? It would be cool for both of us to have one and we could crawl them together. What all is involved with owning an electric crawler vs. the nitro truck I had? Thanks...

Id prolly recommend getting into some RTR (ready to run) rigs, maybe go the same for both of you. Going cheap and not sticking with a big brand will bite you in the butt, big time in performance, realiability and parts availability too so dont pinch pennies lol.

Axial and losi are the best non competition rigs to get into easily and complete. They both have rtr models.

Id go with either the Losi NightCrawlers, or the Axial ax10 rtr or rtc.

THe losi...

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/losb0104.htm

The axial...

http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_ax10_rtc_rock_crawler_p/ax90011.htm

Id prolly recommend getting into some RTR (ready to run) rigs, maybe go the same for both of you. Going cheap and not sticking with a big brand will bite you in the butt, big time in performance, realiability and parts availability too so dont pinch pennies lol.

Axial and losi are the best non competition rigs to get into easily and complete. They both have rtr models.

Id go with either the Losi NightCrawlers, or the Axial ax10 rtr or rtc.

THe losi...

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/losb0104.htm

The axial...

http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_ax10_rtc_rock_crawler_p/ax90011.htm

X2 If you decide to go with the Axial which will have the best after market support go with the RTC.

Cool thanks for the info. How about the hpi crawler king?

---------- Post added at 4:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:20 AM ----------

Also what else does one need? Lipo batt? Charger? Do these come with brushless motors?

---------- Post added at 4:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:22 AM ----------

Looking at the losi night crawler. That thing is awesome!

The Losi and Axial are better than the Crawler King because of better aftermarket parts support. I have a Losi Mini Rock Crawler and I built an Axial kit and would recommend both. You will need a NiMH battery pack and charger for the RTR kits. You wouldn't really need a LiPo to start out. Most of the RTR crawlers don't support LiPo that I know of.

Id go Axial AX10 RTC, they dont have brushless motors, they are meant for slow low end torque, you can throw in a brushless setup but there is no real need for speed with one.

I see. So brushless motors and lipo batteries are meant more for speed huh? I was wondering, because the more I read about crawlers, the less I hear about the two terms. Thanks. So what makes the Axial better than the Losi? Aftermarket parts support?

I see. So brushless motors and lipo batteries are meant more for speed huh? I was wondering, because the more I read about crawlers, the less I hear about the two terms. Thanks. So what makes the Axial better than the Losi? Aftermarket parts support?

Lipo's are a win win in every situation. WAY smaller footprint, which equals way less weight.
Brushless setups are very popular in the losi's because of their worm gears.

The losi's just take alot of maintenance and the axials dont. The losi's need to be greased very often. The losi is better setup out of the box though imo and looks cooler.

The losi is 2s lipo compatible too.

Last edited:
X2 on lipos, when I first got into crawling I had the standard 6pack NIMH and it was ALRIGHT, but could not mount the pack anywhere to lower my COG (center of gravity). After I got a lipo compatible esc and some small lipo packs the performance and power punch was absolutly amazing. Never owned a Losi but I would agree they look cooler, soemthing about Axial's "green" factory color is gross, unless you get the ARTR (Almost Ready-To-Run) Which comes with anodized orange aluminum links and a lid.

Gotta give another vote for axial and losi. Great rtr/artr versions out by both companies.

what are good upgrades or what do you recomend for the losi night crawler

Aluminum knuckles and C's would be great. Also loosing any plastic links and plastic steering parts. One other thing Id change is the steering servo to one that had 300+ oz .

Sent from my Samsung Admire

If you are serious about a Night Crawler, I have one that my son used for one pack and lost interest. Probably due to the fact I lost interest in crawling. LOL

It has the aluminum steering rods from and Losi Comp Crawler and a Hitec 7955 steering servo. Stock ESC is included, but no RX/TX. It also has Vanquish DH Pro Comp wheels with Proline Chisel tires and foams.

I will take some pics and throw it up in the F/S section in the next few days.

ok let me know

will you be looking for any type of trade?

Only for Losi 5ive parts. ;)

nope none of them

got lots of other cars and trucks though

just have to see what you post up and what you want for it

I'm am looking for a new crawler to but I was thinking a G-made with all of the parts i just have to build it, or an axial.

Back