What would you do with it? Hobby Plus CR24

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manderthal

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I received this Hobby Plus CR24 after purchasing a mystery box from FairRC.
I wasn't expecting much but I was kind of hoping for a pickup truck style to tinker on but mostly static scale-ish thing. I already have a FMS FCX24 K5 Blazer for small scale playing.
So what would you do? Would you keep it and buy upgrade replacement parts to improve performance or sell/trade it towards something more in your wheelhouse like a truck or parts for your other rigs?
FWIW I haven't even removed it from the box yet until I make up my mind of it's future.
A4181666-7FB9-48A8-AF6B-1E88D16E2A12.jpeg

Personally I'd sell it. Or drag it behind another rc. 😁 If it had a truck body, that would be different.

sell it buy what you wanted its free so dont matter

Curiosity got the better of me. I had to try it. Looks like I'm keeping it.
Coincidentally the hex hubs are the same size as my FMS FCX24 K5 Blazer so I put the stock wheels from that on there. They really helped with the ground clearance problem.

20230930_150327.jpg

20230930_145712.jpg

20230930_145728.jpg

Forgot to include this pic.
Had to do a bit of trimming on the body but the steering is awful and limiting more than the body is.

Attachments

• 20230930_144819.jpg
    20230930_144819.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I received this Hobby Plus CR24 after purchasing a mystery box from FairRC.
I wasn't expecting much but I was kind of hoping for a pickup truck style to tinker on but mostly static scale-ish thing. I already have a FMS FCX24 K5 Blazer for small scale playing.
So what would you do? Would you keep it and buy upgrade replacement parts to improve performance or sell/trade it towards something more in your wheelhouse like a truck or parts for your other rigs?
FWIW I haven't even removed it from the box yet until I make up my mind of it's future.
View attachment 172414
I might be interested in it if your selling it . Lol

That's a cool looking little rig. It looks like it may be fun to play around with. Share some chassis pics.

Last edited:
That's a cool looking little rig. It looks like it may be fun to play around with. Share some chassis pics.
I bought my grandson a c-14 which is the Toyota cab with a flat deck version and they're not bad little trucks for the money and the scale . They're hard body , and you can upgrade them too . For under 100 bucks they're a good deal. Considering where I live its 250 and up for scx24 or trx4m . Which I have the f150 high trail version and in my opinion I could have got a c14 and spent 100 bucks in upgrades and have a better truck than the others for 100 bucks less lol but that's just me and mine was a gift from my wife for Christmas and I love it lol

I bought my grandson a c-14 which is the Toyota cab with a flat deck version and they're not bad little trucks for the money and the scale . They're hard body , and you can upgrade them too . For under 100 bucks they're a good deal. Considering where I live its 250 and up for scx24 or trx4m . Which I have the f150 high trail version and in my opinion I could have got a c14 and spent 100 bucks in upgrades and have a better truck than the others for 100 bucks less lol but that's just me and mine was a gift from my wife for Christmas and I love it lol
I have 5 WPL trucks. They're ok, but they don't come close to the SCX24 as far as quality and performance.

Agreed but like I said ,if you put some money into them you could have a comparable truck for less money .
I don't at all agree with that. The optional parts available for the WPL stuff is all really low grade components. You can mod the heck out of them with other brand stuff, but you'll be doing a lot of fabricating.
20210827_071917.jpg

I don't at all agree with that. The optional parts available for the WPL stuff is all really low grade components. You can mod the heck out of them with other brand stuff, but you'll be doing a lot of fabricating.
View attachment 178998
Who says you need to use the parts that wpl puts out? My favorite part of this hobby Is being able to use my imagination a bit and make things work. That's what this hobby is to me . I have more fun tinkering and figuring things out than just playing with the trucks . Don't get me wrong I absolutely love getting into the rocks and seeing what I can do with what I've made but I get more outta something I've done some custom fab to than when I just took it outta the box and drove it .

Who says you need to use the parts that wpl puts out? My favorite part of this hobby Is being able to use my imagination a bit and make things work. That's what this hobby is to me . I have more fun tinkering and figuring things out than just playing with the trucks . Don't get me wrong I absolutely love getting into the rocks and seeing what I can do with what I've made but I get more outta something I've done some custom fab to than when I just took it outta the box and drove it .
I'm just saying that the WPL is really low grade compared to the SCX24. You can turn a WPL into a cool truck. The one I shared the pic of... the only things on that truck that are WPL is the body and an aftermarket WPL transmission housing. The axles and links are MN. The rest is 3d printed. It's still nowhere near as good as an SCX24.
20230204_094518.jpg

I don't believe most people in the hobby are up to that level of fab work. Most folks, if they want to upgrade their rigs at all, just want to grab some after market direct swap parts. :2cents:

I'm just saying that the WPL is really low grade compared to the SCX24. You can turn a WPL into a cool truck. The one I shared the pic of... the only things on that truck that are WPL is the body and an aftermarket WPL transmission housing. The axles and links are MN. The rest is 3d printed. It's still nowhere near as good as an SCX24.
View attachment 179018
Everyone's got their opinion and I was just sharing mine . That's a cool looking truck BTW. Never would have guessed it was a wpl truck. And that's kinda my point . Look at the cool truck you can make starting with the wpl platform for less money and more creativity.

Everyone's got their opinion and I was just sharing mine . That's a cool looking truck BTW. Never would have guessed it was a wpl truck. And that's kinda my point . Look at the cool truck you can make starting with the wpl platform for less money and more creativity.
But... it's the biggest pos that I own 😜

I added brass rings to the FMS FCX24 Blazer wheels. I also put the stock Blazer shocks with oil added. Unfortunately that's about it for leftover parts. None of the original or spare aftermarket FCX24 links fit.

20240115_134922.jpg

20240115_135026.jpg

I trimmed the lexan body right below the grill to straight across the front of the fender. This gave steering clearance for the front tires. The linkage still binds up but not too badly. It's already WAY better than it was. I also removed the plastic luggage rack on top and the spare tire on the back. Stickers removed and stuck inside the body for posterity.
It's weird. The darned thing is fun for what it is. I would consider these 'must mods' to make it somewhat capable.

20240115_135051.jpg

20240115_135203.jpg

20240115_135139.jpg

Last edited:
I like your opinion. Would like to see you get it. :thumbs-up:

I added brass rings to the FMS FCX24 Blazer wheels. I also put the stock Blazer shocks with oil added. Unfortunately that's about it for leftover parts. None of the original or spare aftermarket FCX24 links fit.

View attachment 179133

View attachment 179134
I trimmed the lexan body right below the grill to straight across the front of the fender. This gave steering clearance for the front tires. The linkage still binds up but not too badly. It's already WAY better than it was. I also removed the plastic luggage rack on top and the spare tire on the back. Stickers removed and stuck inside the body for posterity.
It's weird. The darned thing is fun for what it is. I would consider these 'must mods' to make it somewhat capable.

View attachment 179135

View attachment 179136

View attachment 179137
Cool truck and good job on it. Sounds like you've had fun with it so far .

Back