what type of engine on a Traxxas Nitro Stampede?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbrandt

RC Newbie
Reaction score
*Edited the title because I got my question answered and was trying to get another one answered, se my last post.

It was first called "How to ID an old Traxxas Nitro Stampede?"

Hi!

This is my first post here, and I´ve tried to post in the right forum. I´m sorry if I haven´t.

After being back home during hunting season, I came across my old RC car. It hasn´t seen use in somewhere around 15 years, some gears are missing, the starter is gone along with one tire, etc etc.
Anyway, I want to rebuild the poor car so it can see some use again, instead of gathering dust in a shelf at my mothers place.

So ot my question; How do I ID the exact model, so I know what parts to get? And where can I get parts online for it? I live in Norway, far from any kind of hobby stores, so ordering online is my only viable option.

30a7v9u.jpg

fbclxe.jpg

2u5ta2g.jpg

14oby2x.jpg

nguir6.jpg

125s5tz.jpg

I hope you guys can help me, or at least point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
You've got a Traxxas Nitro Stampede. Lucky for you, they probably haven't changed too much over the years.

Like I said, the Stampede hasn't changed too much over the years, so the parts from a new one will probably fit your old one. I'd start by looking here and comparing the parts diagram.

ok, thanks. I´ll definetely check out those diagrams.

But as far as the engine goes, should I just buy a new one? Or use money and time to try to restore the old one?

Looks like a 1st generation Stampede. Like Schrode said, parts really haven't changed much at all over the years.
But I would recommend upgrading some of your old parts with new parts, primarily the fuel tank. The old fuel tanks with the spring loaded primer buttons were notorious for air leaks/tuning issues after crashes. Also take into consideration your truck has been sitting for a long period of time. I'd also look into replacing the old silicone exhaust tubing and fuel tubing. Replacement Pro .15 engines are readily available (and cheap), and probably much more worth your while than trying to fix your old one. You could also upgrade your engine with a 2.5 or 3.3. That would really make your truck scream but would require a completely revamped exhaust system
Traxxas Power Up program http://traxxas.com/v2/powerup
parts list
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/050131-4110-4104-nSstampede-parts_0.pdf
owners manual
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/050919_nstamp_oper-instr_3.pdf

Thank you so much for your answer Nitrotrout.

I´ve been looking into replacing the engine, because I can remember having trouble with the carb when I put it away. From that, it´s not that far to an new engine.
But, I can´t seem to figure out what I need to fix my transmission, or whatever the right term would be. As you might see on the last picture, I´m missing some parts, does anyone know what I need to fix it?

I´m sorry about all the questions, but I´m really a big noob when it comes to all of this.

It looks like you're missing the spur gear and slipper clutch. If you look at the parts diagram, you'll be able to see what's missing and then get the part numbers for what you need.

I feel dumb.. I couldn't really recognize anything on the diagram, but apparently I'm just stupid:) I can see now what I'm missing. Jeez..

Thanks again. There will probably more stupid questions to come.

Theres no such thing as a stupid question....Unless you're Rolex...then all bets are off! :p

What does that mean?

I'm currently in the process of cleaning the truck, 15+ year old gunk really is sticky. At least I got it clean enough to start dismantling it further. I could barely get the electronics and engine of!

Does anyone know if I have a short, standard, or long crankshaft? I can see replacement engines come in different variations.

sorry, i was just saying that theres no such thing as a stupid question and taking the opportunity to tease one of our moderators "Rolex" at the same time :)

I see, I guessed it was something like that!

I´ve just ordered a ton of stuff on ebay, and a "local" vendor here in Norway. The stuff I´m missing for the transmission, wheels, exhaust, fuel tank, fuel lines, etc etc. Really looking forward to getting it, so I can start putting it back together.

All I need now is to find out what type of crankshaft I have, anyone have a clue what it may be or how to find out??

Thanks for all the help so far!

From reading the info on the Pro .15 page, it looks like you have a short shaft. When I upgraded my Pro .15, I just threw a 2.5R in and called it a day. What engine are you looking at? Remember, if you go with a 2.5 or 3.3, you'll need a conversion kit.

I might go with a 2.5. Would I need anything else except a new exhaust? Couldn't find anything regarding transmission upgrades etc.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure about the Stampede, but my Nitro Sport and Rustler were both pretty straight forward swaps. I recommend the drive shafts and idler gear from the Slash 3.3, 6852X for the shafts, and 4496 for the idler gear. Also, being as it's such an old version, you'll probably want the newer outputs for the diff. Look at your current drive shafts, if they use 2 set screws to lock onto the diff output, you'll want to order 2382. It may be easier/cheaper in the long run to just order a new transmission from a chopshop, you could then use your old one as a spare.

Thank you for being so helpful, Schrode.

So something like this? I can see 2382 is in the parts list for this transmission. Not exactly expensive either.

Back