what to use for portable jumps

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

///MRacer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anyone have some creative ideas or designs for some portable jumps rather than just some ply wood on a log. I do not have room for permanent jumps so they have to be movable. Any recommended sizes?

This will be for t-maxx btw.

Thanks and happy motoring :redbuggy:

I have a bike ramp that I purchased at Toys-R-Us for like $20. That works pretty good. If you wanted to, you could get some wood and make your own.

1/4" plywood bends very easy. You could take like a 2x12 and cut it into two smaller rectangles. Then take a jig saw or something and cut identical "swoops" out of the 2x12 rectangles. Then you take your 1/4" plywood and bend it into the swoops. Then you'd have to secure the 1/4" by nailing it to the 2x12 jump supports.

This would make a very small jump (12 inches tall), but if you have some shape to it, you should be able to launch pretty good at high speeds.

I was going to do that before I bought my bike jump.

Take some pics for us if you make something.

-Rob

Rob suggested something like I made. I used 1/2" ply and made a 24"x36" rectangle. Then I cut it corner to corner making 2 identical triangles. Then on the long side, I cut a "swoop" as he put it. I clamped both pieces together when I did this so the curves were identical. When they were done, I framed them together with some 1"x1" stock and then I took 1/8" luan to sheet the top. Makes for one stout ramp that you can just pick up an put anywere. And my Maxx flies off it.

Not on me. But I can try to shoot one tonight to let you see it. I bought a full 8'x4' sheet of 1/2" ply and a half sheet of 1/4" ply (my bad, I thought it was 1/8" when I posted this morning.) and was able to make to ramps that are each 24" wide. I'll try to post pics tonight or tomorrow.

hey, me and my friends have "dock jump" for our bikes that we use. it is crazy shoots our truck so far into the air.

bryan

OK, Rob, here are a couple of pics. The ramp is 24"wide, 24" high and 36" long. I put my Maxx in the pic so you can see the proportion. The only problem is that I think 24" wide turned out a bit narrow. You can see there's not much room on the sides of the truck. It's tough to hit sometimes if the truck is boucing around.

15ramp1.jpg

15ramp2.jpg

Thats awesome I may have to make me a ramp the 20 dollar ramps are to much for me.

I paid less than that for the materials and got 2 ramps out of it. And as you can see, they are much bigger than the skate ramps you get at the toy store. I can nearly launch my Maxx over my head. The problem is that I can't get 2nd gear in the grass so I can't get a lot of launch speed...

Do you have anymore plywood if so this would be stupid but you could lay it down infront of the ramp to let it pick up speed.

I get the gist of your idea, but that would take a fair amount of wood to make a runway. I am going to have to find a better place to set up. Perhaps on the gravel driveway. Maybe I'll get all Evil Knievel and try to jump my Eclipse....

i say by the bike ramp for 20 its the easiestand cheepiest why to go

The bike ramp is ok, I've got it. The one I've got is called the "X Factor". The only problem with it is that it doesn't launch your ride very high. You'll get a few feet in the air, and if you hit it FAST you'll get a little bit of distance, but not really a good combination of both. It's not really banked high enough to get good air......but what you can do is prop some things under the front of it and raise the angle of the ramp up, and then, haha then you can get some air! But it gets old having to keep proping things under the front. BTW, the ramp costs $29.99. It's extremely durable, and it's plastic so it'll never rot.
Ohh yeah, and if you're going to make your own out of wood, make it at least 4 feet wide. Like said above, they can be hard as hell to hit when going at speed, and when you even miss a little bit your truck will go a' tumblin'.

I like that ramp.. I think I'll build one. May have to throw some fake golf green or some cheap carpet on it for some grip. I know I've tried laying some wood on something to prop it and it seems to get wheel spin. I do like that "swoop" action. I have a little track in my back yard and it would be sweet if I incorporated it back there somewhere...

my friend has on very similar to candyman's, just my friends is a bit wider and has way more vert too it. it is pretty much a high jump that is good for backflips and that kind of stuff. me and my friend have jumped 6' fences had 5 foot wide hedges before with it. sometime i will get a video camera to show u guys.

bryan

Anyone got ideas for a more portable ramp? My family vehicle and apartment does not have much room to store a ramp. I'm looking for ideas to make a portale one, possibly one that can fold up flat.

Well what are you thinking expensive ramp or a ramp that may be out of a card table.

I havnt thought much of this one. But instead of nailing the sides just add 3 hinges(spelling?) on both sides for a total of six it would make it make it fold up. But i dont think it would be able to hold the top part of good. Also you would have to have a peice of wood on the 2 walls of it so it dont self fold.

A fold up ramp? I thought about that at one time. It would be difficult to make one with any curve to the face. But if you wanted to make a simple one, cut a piece of ply for the face. At the top of the ramp, install a couple of hinges and then another shorter piece of wood for the brace. Then maybe hinge a couple of 1"x1" pieces to the bottom of that for supports and the whole thing could fold relatively flat. Or maybe taking the card table idea. Get a piece of ply and hinge 2 legs to one end. Then to set up the ramp you just unfold the legs and set it up...

Doesn't duratrax make a ramp that folds up?

Back