What is the best nitro engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaddict234

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I have a Traxxas Revo with a trx 3.3. I have noticed that the trx 3.3 doesn’t hold a tune, it’s hard to tune, it constantly breaks down, and it just can’t get my Revo up to the 45 that Traxxas says. It’s not a big deal to me to have it get to 45 but it just feels sluggish when I keep the temperature below 300. My engine is scared and beat up so I was thinking of getting a new engine within the next few months. What engine should I upgrade to? What is the best engine that will fit in the Revo? Thanks In advance.
Also the trx 3.3 will not idle at anything less than 12000 rpm. The carbs are cheap and my idle screw will not adjust the idle. (Probably my error). If anyone call tell me why or just answer my questions above I would be super grateful. Thanks.

The carbs are cheap and my idle screw will not adjust the idle

Something of a common experience, it just appears to be the limits of that carb. Maybe it's a deliberate feature so the engine always starts with an EZ-start, but yeah, difficulty getting the idle down with the stock carb is a common complaint. An OS 11k carburetor is the Rolls-Royce of carbs for that engine, but kind of pricey, especially if you're considering it for a worn-out engine.

Easiest replacement to something other than another 3.3 would be a Dynamite .19T, it'd be a direct drop-in replacement all the way down to the pull start.

Fanciest would be an OS .21TM, which also include an 11k carb by default, a ~$100 part by itself.

Something of a common experience, it just appears to be the limits of that carb. Maybe it's a deliberate feature so the engine always starts with an EZ-start, but yeah, difficulty getting the idle down with the stock carb is a common complaint. An OS 11k carburetor is the Rolls-Royce of carbs for that engine, but kind of pricey, especially if you're considering it for a worn-out engine.

Easiest replacement to something other than another 3.3 would be a Dynamite .19T, it'd be a direct drop-in replacement all the way down to the pull start.

Fanciest would be an OS .21TM, which also include an 11k carb by default, a ~$100 part by itself.
Thank you. I’ve looked at both engines. And yeah the OS .21TM is pricey. Maybe in the future. I checked the dynamite .19T. Can you tell me the difference between the Dynamite and the trx 3.3? Is the dynamite more powerful? Does it run hotter? Does it hold a tune well? Thanks again.

Thank you. I’ve looked at both engines. And yeah the OS .21TM is pricey. Maybe in the future. I checked the dynamite .19T. Can you tell me the difference between the Dynamite and the trx 3.3? Is the dynamite more powerful? Does it run hotter? Does it hold a tune well? Thanks again.

This video reviews it pretty well. It appears to be slightly more "polished" in general than the 3.3, with a metal carb that tunes easier, runs cooler, and produces comparable power. Here's a video of that guy running it.

Every external feature like the crankshaft, starter backplate, and exhaust mounting screws, are an exact-fit match for the 3.3, which is a big help for engine swaps. The carb has a smaller air-filter neck, but that's about the only compatibility difference.