what is best break in method ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
theres so many different ones i dont no witch to do and plus this is my first engine that I'm breaking in and i want to do it properly... it seems to end up being some what the same thing... with all the videos I've seen i was planning on doing... pre heat engine to 200, run 2 tanks at idle with 10 mins cooldown, then 3-4-5 tank 1/4 throttle 6-7-8 tan 1/2 throttle and the ones after that full throttle but just short burst..... is that a good way or is there a better way ??? if it makes any difference at all my engine is a .28 big red

Yup follow that method,it is a heat cycle method,..take your time breaking it in,how you break it in will ultimately determine the lifespan of the engine ,..if you live where it's cold this time of year I strongly suggest waiting until outside Temps are at least around 60 f

you've got it right, it's all very similar so it's going to be hard to make a mistake. just take your time and listen to the engine as it breaks in so you are familiar with the sound of a new and properly tuned and running engine. Breaking in the engine will be a cake walk compared to when it gets some dirt in the carb or back plate and tuning becomes impossible, forcing you to either spend a bunch of money or learn how to repair it yourself :)

you've got it right, it's all very similar so it's going to be hard to make a mistake. just take your time and listen to the engine as it breaks in so you are familiar with the sound of a new and properly tuned and running engine. Breaking in the engine will be a cake walk compared to when it gets some dirt in the carb or back plate and tuning becomes impossible, forcing you to either spend a bunch of money or learn how to repair it yourself :)

Sheesh, don't scare the guy off! lol Are you pretty good with mechanics? If you answered yes to either of these questions, before you break in your engine, open it up and seal it. Gives you a chance to see inside and understand how your engine works and it's good practice for the future. If you're not comfortable with this then don't do it. As for breaking in the engine I would recommend the heat cycle method. It is super boring sitting there with your kit on the box tank after tank. The key is not to take it out and immediately start ripping laps as fast as you can. I'm on my 4th tank and I've only just touched full throttle for a second here and there. Get a temp gun and pay attention to the engine temps, how much smoke is coming out of the exhaust, how high the engine idles and is the idle smooth or is it up and down. If your tune is right the engine will almost pur at idle, you will have quick throttle response and smooth acceleration. Take your time and follow the guides.

Sheesh, don't scare the guy off! lol Are you pretty good with mechanics? If you answered yes to either of these questions, before you break in your engine, open it up and seal it. Gives you a chance to see inside and understand how your engine works and it's good practice for the future. If you're not comfortable with this then don't do it. As for breaking in the engine I would recommend the heat cycle method. It is super boring sitting there with your kit on the box tank after tank. The key is not to take it out and immediately start ripping laps as fast as you can. I'm on my 4th tank and I've only just touched full throttle for a second here and there. Get a temp gun and pay attention to the engine temps, how much smoke is coming out of the exhaust, how high the engine idles and is the idle smooth or is it up and down. If your tune is right the engine will almost pur at idle, you will have quick throttle response and smooth acceleration. Take your time and follow the guides.
good advice Paul.

This is one of the most asked RC questions ever. If you search this site or Google you will find thousands of opinions on this.
The best thing to do is follow the manufacturer's suggest break-in procedure if the engine comes with one.

Back