What does digital Proportional mean?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy100

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guyz, i am deciding whether to use one of the radios for some small club racing.

Stock Hpi Savage t-4 radio system??
- says digital proportion radio
-27 mhz
- It is made by futaba, and i have heard it is FM

Hitec Aggressor AM radio system,
- more comfortable
- AM
_ Less channels(2)
-75 mhz

Is the digital proportional make a big difference and what is it??

Thanx

Sounds to me like they are using fancy wording to make an AM radio sound more hi tech than it really is......it has an A to D convertor and it's trying to make it sound really cool.....that's just how processors can divide a span of it's signal into little digital chunks....if the radio has an 8 bit processor that would mean it can divide its signal of 1VDC ( not sure exactly what the signal to your servo is 1VDC is an Example) into 255 little slices or incriments to tell the servo what position to be in....that's how I would guess digital proportional would work......

I'm sure the digital part is just an extravagant word that everyone uses. Proportional means that the movement of the servo is proportional to the movement of the control. So if you turn the wheel a little, the servo only moves a little. Remeber those old RC's (Radio Hack or Tyco) that would only turn full left or full right or go full forward or reverse when you pushed a button? Those ain't proportional. But having partial throttle and steering is the cornerstone of a porportional system.

Well if you wanted it to be dumbed down...GOD
Candyman said it much more understandably than I did for sure.......sorry i got too geeky on that stuff.....

anyone know how many bits our Radio sets operate on?????
just curious, wanted to know how exact the digital conversion could be on them.....

a cookie for for tha fishy for going above and beond the call of duty and confusing everyone even more lol.. good info though guys i know who to look up if i have elctical issues..

LOL, alright, i had a feeling that that was all it was, a fancy way of making something seem so awsome. a couple more questions:

Is FM considerably better than AM?

Should or shouldn't i run the BEC rx with a digital servo??
( i know it is bad, but the lhs said it would be ok, and i do know that i could do the y harness to bypass the BEC)

Back