What battery connectors to use?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STONER RC

BUILD it, SEND it, BASH it, FIX it, REPEAT
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
  6. Boating
So got the cc mm2 ESC with 2200kv combo for my T/E maxx build. ESC can handle up 125amp with 10g a + and a - . Should I go xt90 or xt60? Better to wire to run 2 batteries. Or just one connector and get a double battery wire connector. I think that would add more resistance correct. Any suggestions 🤔

It Says I need aleast 5000mah and a 30c rating. The castle mm2 hits 100amp+. Looking at the zee 2s 6200mah 80c or zee 5200mah 60c. One has deans the other xt60. To many choices don't want to fry up any thing

I have loads of batteries with XT60. It has been my favorite for ease of plugging/unplugging and durability. But I mostly just run 2S setups.

I recently got some batteries with EC5 connectors for my Arrma. I have to say, I am liking this connector. And it handles 120A vs the XT's 60 and 90 amp ratings. So for me, as I buy more 3S vehicles, the EC5 would be my choice.

i would go with EC5s, if the connector is oversized the only issue is that the connector itself is bigger. if its undersized it can melt, and possibly fry the ESC/RX etc, or worse catch the car on fire.

The EC5 is the big blue one correct sorry been a nitro guy sine 94. So so basically big is always better can't hurt rite. So much to figure out compared to a nitro motor with electric RC's.its like starting all over again 😆🤣

The EC5 is the big blue one correct sorry been a nitro guy sine 94. So so basically big is always better can't hurt rite. So much to figure out compared to a nitro motor with electric RC's.its like starting all over again 😆🤣
Yes. The EC5 (blue) is also able to connect to the IC5 (orange). They have a different exterior housing, but same internal connector fittings. The IC5 is Spektrum's connector for their smart batteries and chargers, but you can use them with any charger with an XT60 (or whatever your charger uses) to EC5 adaptor. Either the EC5 or IC5 are going to handle just about anything you throw at them. The only thing to note with the Spektrum batteries is they require the Spektrum smart charger to charge them. Which is why I stay away from them. But their connectors look nicer I think 😉

XT60 to EC5 adapter...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-124547_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-124547_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
So got the cc mm2 ESC with 2200kv combo for my T/E maxx build. ESC can handle up 125amp with 10g a + and a - . Should I go xt90 or xt60? Better to wire to run 2 batteries. Or just one connector and get a double battery wire connector. I think that would add more resistance correct. Any suggestions 🤔

It Says I need aleast 5000mah and a 30c rating. The castle mm2 hits 100amp+. Looking at the zee 2s 6200mah 80c or zee 5200mah 60c. One has deans the other xt60. To many choices don't want to fry up any thing
If I had it to do all over again Id probably go EC5 just for the sake of future proofing. Who knows though, The way the hobby has progressed in the last 10 years we'll prolly all be running 100V systems using EC25 connectors in another 10 years from now 🤣
Yes. The EC5 (blue) is also able to connect to the IC5 (orange). They have a different exterior housing, but same internal connector fittings. The IC5 is Spektrum's connector for their smart batteries and chargers, but you can use them with any charger with an XT60 (or whatever your charger uses) to EC5 adaptor. Either the EC5 or IC5 are going to handle just about anything you throw at them. The only thing to note with the Spektrum batteries is they require the Spektrum smart charger to charge them. Which is why I stay away from them. But their connectors look nicer I think 😉

XT60 to EC5 adapter...
You can charge Spektrum batteries on a non SMART charger. They have a seperate JST-XH balance lead on the packs. They are over priced imo tho

Don't need another charger I got the venom quad. Which I can charge anything with that charger set up. The castle esc amp rating is 125amp. And it says continuous at 100amp. The XT90 rating says 100amp continuous and 240 max.on a video I watch today. Would it be better to just put one connector on esc to run one 4s or 6s. Or wire up two in parallel and run two 2s=4s or two 3s=6s. Castle says the sweet spot is 4s but handles 6s.Who doesn't want more power out of their RC rite. LoL

If I had it to do all over again Id probably go EC5 just for the sake of future proofing. Who knows though, The way the hobby has progressed in the last 10 years we'll prolly all be running 100V systems using EC25 connectors in another 10 years from now 🤣

You can charge Spektrum batteries on a non SMART charger. They have a seperate JST-XH balance lead on the packs. They are over priced imo tho

Just like the traxxas batteries and the venom batteries as well over. priced. Even though I have the venom charger. I don't have venom batteries

XT60 to EC5 adapter...
spektrum smart batteries do have a balance port, does NOT require a Spektrum smart charger.
depending if you have a charger that takes a balance board you can get this style which is compatible with the XH, style.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Charger-Balance-Compatible-JST-XH/dp/B07MFKRNXN

Don't need another charger I got the venom quad. Which I can charge anything with that charger set up. The castle esc amp rating is 125amp. And it says continuous at 100amp. The XT90 rating says 100amp continuous and 240 max.on a video I watch today. Would it be better to just put one connector on esc to run one 4s or 6s. Or wire up two in parallel and run two 2s=4s or two 3s=6s. Castle says the sweet spot is 4s but handles 6s.Who doesn't want more power out of their RC rite. LoL
Not sure where you're getting these amperage numbers. As far as I know Castle has never released current draw specs for any of its ESCs. If you look at the MM2 specs on Castles website HERE it mentions nothing about amp draw. It just tells you voltage limits and recommended motors.

Lets say for the sake of arguement though that the MM2 had a limit of 100A continuous you're never gonna see that. The amp draw is going to go up and down and judging from Olds's data logs from his 5S Maxx, he only averages about a 25-35A draw with peaks upwards of 100A or so.

Also no one really knows what the Amperage limit is on all these connectors. It depends on who makes them. I had a discussion on anouther forum about this before and I went and looked up 3 different manufacturers of EC5 connectors and 1 company said they were rated for 50A, another said 60A, and yet another said 90A. Which one is correct? Are they all different depending on who makes them or do these manufacturers just reproduce them and slap claims on them without really doing the work to test them? I'm assuming (I havent researched it) that XT connectors are the same way and even Deans is the same way. That being said the EC5 uses a 5mm bullet connector and the XT90 uses a 4.5mm so the EC5 should be the best. Unless you want to use something with even bigger bullets. There are some out there. :)

Run one battery or two it wont matter for anything 1/8 scale or smaller. In fact 1 is often times easier cuz if you start running pairs of batteries in series then you need to start keeping matched pairs together and cycled together. You dont want to split them up and use them seperately.

Not sure where you're getting these amperage numbers. As far as I know Castle has never released current draw specs for any of its ESCs. If you look at the MM2 specs on Castles website HERE it mentions nothing about amp draw. It just tells you voltage limits and recommended motors.

Lets say for the sake of arguement though that the MM2 had a limit of 100A continuous you're never gonna see that. The amp draw is going to go up and down and judging from Olds's data logs from his 5S Maxx, he only averages about a 25-35A draw with peaks upwards of 100A or so.

Also no one really knows what the Amperage limit is on all these connectors. It depends on who makes them. I had a discussion on anouther forum about this before and I went and looked up 3 different manufacturers of EC5 connectors and 1 company said they were rated for 50A, another said 60A, and yet another said 90A. Which one is correct? Are they all different depending on who makes them or do these manufacturers just reproduce them and slap claims on them without really doing the work to test them? I'm assuming (I havent researched it) that XT connectors are the same way and even Deans is the same way. That being said the EC5 uses a 5mm bullet connector and the XT90 uses a 4.5mm so the EC5 should be the best. Unless you want to use something with even bigger bullets. There are some out there. :)

Run one battery or two it wont matter for anything 1/8 scale or smaller

Rite out the box with castle esc
16243903153322598894862135403210.jpg

This is way I'm asking is this wrong? lol

Rite from the quick start guide. That came with the esc from castle. Lol

Run one battery or two it wont matter for anything 1/8 scale or smaller. In fact 1 is often times easier cuz if you start running pairs of batteries in series then you need to start keeping matched pairs together and cycled together. You dont want to split them up and use them seperately.

16243905904115898446437583687228.jpg
16243906177508138322805835766157.jpg
16243906494225463298957206858236.jpg

Rite out the box with castle esc
View attachment 128434
This is way I'm asking is this wrong? lol
All thats saying is that the ESC will hit peaks off 100+A. Its not really giving you the actual rated Amperage specs of the ESC. It is giving you an idea of what its capable of but they dont tell the actual current draw specs. Probably for the same liability reasons that Deans doesn't divulge that information about their connectors. and the rest of that is just telling you how to calculate the continuous amperage capability of a lipo battery give a certain mAh and C rating.

So confusing. Nitro is so much easier beside the tunning part. Put nitro in tank and go. Lol

So confusing. Nitro is so much easier beside the tunning part. Put nitro in tank and go. Lol
I think its just about what you're used to. I find tuning a nitro engine way more difficult than anything on the electric side but I have an IT and electronics background so it makes more sense to me than an engine :)

I think its just about what you're used to. I find tuning a nitro engine way more difficult than anything on the electric side but I have an IT and electronics background so it makes more sense to me than an engine :)

Was I going to tag you in this thread this morning but it was crazy early. Cuz I had a feeling with your job background. You would know. And lay it out straight with no BS. All I can find is the esc is rated for 125amp. That's it . And I'm sure your rite about deans and castle not giving up all the info sure company's would try to copy what they are all doing to compete and make more for are $$$LOL

And I have the mechanical background. And not the electrical
and that why it's all Chinese to me LOL Been playing and working on engines and car all my life since a kid with my dad. Can build you a house and a motor or what ever. But electrical NOPE not me lol.

Was I going to tag you in this thread this morning but it was crazy early. Cuz I had a feeling with your job background. You would know. And lay it out straight with no BS. All I can find is the esc is rated for 125amp. That's it . And I'm sure your rite about deans and castle not giving up all the info sure company's would try to copy what they are all doing to compete and make more for are $$$LOL
I've been crazy busy myself the last couple of days. I havent been keyboard warrior"ing" it up as much lately. lol

And I have the mechanical background. And not the electrical
and that why it's all Chinese to me LOL Been playing and working on engines and car all my life since a kid with my dad. Can build you a house and a motor or what ever. But electrical NOPE not me lol.
I had a feeling that was the case. You build the engine, Ill wire up the stereo system lmao

Back