What are the best glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ean

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What glow plugs are the best I only have 2 extra traxxas glow plugs what is the best brand because I need to order some more extra ones

It depends on what engine and fuel you're running.

I rarely have a glow plug issue so I can't say which ones are horrible but for some reason the R5 cold glow plug just did not work in my 5.9 engine on my XL. Other than that I use McCoy and OS for my engines which run 20%. I do however use a traxxas plug in my pro .15.

I run the Traxxas 3232X medium plug and it works great!

Its always nice to have extras but if you need that many something is seriously wrong!

That's correct.
My understanding is that ambient temperature affects it as well.

Hot weather/cold plug and vice-versa. I live in a hot-weather climate but still prefer hot plugs. Honestly if you were to switch out plugs with each gallon for five gallons...I doubt I'd be able to tell you "Oh, this is a medium-hot plug. O'onnell 97 perhaps?" ;-)

I have found it harder to race tune with colder plugs. I like O.S. plugs although I use O'Donnell,Werks, and Kyosho plugs.

For the best 'all-around standard plug, I like O.S #6 (A3). Best all-around turbo I like the P4.

One thing I've always wondered, that perhaps you engine gurus/Jedi's out there can answer: is there any potential adverse affects using different brands of plugs in different engines. By that, if I were to use a P4 in an O.S. engine for a few gallons, then switch to a C6, then switch to a 99, etc. are there any latent effects?

HotRob...how many are you referencing in you response above? I only see the mention of "two" listed in the threads so am obviously missing it. I sure hope so as below is just my backups. I have twice as many extras' I keep are in my pit bag. I actually switch out too often, but it's an impulse buy when I see them on sale.

[URL=http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/mylittlepony/media/IMG-20140420-00948_zps028ff624.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag196/mylittlepony/IMG-20140420-00948_zps028ff624.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Since the op has only one rig and he is verry new to nitro I am skeptical as to why he needs more than 2 extra plugs, like he said he wants more extras"plural meaning more than one more"so were talkin at least 4 in total, if he truely needs more than 2 spare plugs for one rig that leads me to beleive that there may be an issue with his tune,or fuel, hate to see another noob toast an engine and just get fed up with the hobby.

Nerd i had a glow plug hoard along time ago that I gave up,it got to a point where ya wind up with some newer ones mixed up with almost dead ones ect, its like keeping around 3/4 dead aa batteries.[emoji90]

Last edited:
Isn't he running some home brewed fuel concoction?

We know he's not able to, so it's a tuning issue with REAL fuel.
He can't get it to run on genuine fuel, so you know it will NEVER run on whatever HE pours in there.

So urine won't burn in a nitro engine with hot plugs?

If you premix it with diesel it might.

Mixing it with Gin works due to the additional alcohol content.

NOS.jpg